Software
Houzz Logo Print
catlover952000

Help with decorative stone

last year

I’m trying to decide if I should install the same stonework that’s on the front of the house to the area marked with the arrow that’s below the large “dog ear”. It’s the garage area below that arched window.
Will it look better to have it installed there? What do you think?

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    last year

    When determining where to place materials on buildings, usually heavier weight material is used on the base or lower levels and lighter weight material used on upper areas. It's what your eye perceives as LOGICAL.



    This location of material is not logical.




    No stone past the first floor

    Stone on entrance gable and no where else.



  • last year

    I understand your point. It makes sense.

    So are you saying I need to take down the stonework that’s on that second floor window area?

    Or can I add the stonework to the area underneath it also so that it’s all stonework?

  • last year

    If I take the stonework down in that second floor area should I use the same type siding
    that’s on the rest of the house?
    Perhaps a different siding style?

  • last year

    If removing the second floor stone work is an option, I'd do it in a heartbeat. And, certainly do it over adding more stone.

  • PRO
    last year
    last modified: last year

    if would be less expensive to add stone to the 1st floor. However, not that I think about it, you have to wrap the stone around the corners to make it look legit. That will be $$$


    Let's ask some architects to weigh in on this and make a recommendation.



  • last year

    I would add stone on the first floor if you think it would look better than it is now. We would do that.
    The other option is to take down the stonework on the second floor and put siding there.
    The siding was done a couple of years ago so we can’t change that. It looks better in person.

    What is the better option?

  • last year

    Can someone suggest the best solution?

  • last year

    What's the motivation behind the changes? What is the problem you are trying to solve?

  • last year

    If it were me, I’d remove the stone from the dormer and rework the window so it was rectangular and consistent with the others


    it can be very hard to match stone veneer unless you have extra of the original that was installed - colorways change, dyelots can vary etc…

  • last year

    The motivation is because I think it looks strange to have the stone up top. It seems not accurate to my eye.
    That’s why I either need to remove it and put siding there
    or
    Install stone on the bottom half and I’ll need to wrap it around the side as well, so that whole section would be in stone. The color match isn’t a problem.
    I will not be changing the window as it’s new 2 years and the original design of the house when it was built.

  • last year

    Or you could skip the whole stone tack-on for a problem that isn't really a problem. Instead hire a landscape designer to open up your entrance, which is blocked by the hedge,and create beautiful landscaping on the garage side of the house, currently a mish mosh of shrubs that don't really soften that side of the house.

    Highland Park Nantucket · More Info


  • last year

    Remove the stone on the center portion and the dormer, or just the dormer and side it in the same material as the rest.

  • last year

    Thanks for info. So to paraphrase, the house was built like this two years ago and it doesn't seem right to have the stone on top and the siding on the bottom.


    You have two options: add stone to the bottom or siding to the top. The availability of stone and siding will determine what you can do. Check with the builder or your building construction records to see who manufactures the stone and siding, get in touch, and ask them about matching the stone and siding. Good chance the stone will be discontinued and the siding can be color matched readily.

  • last year

    The availability of the stone and siding is no problem. I checked.
    I’m just asking you all if it were your house what option would you like.
    Remove stone on the dormer and add siding to it OR add stone to the bottom half it’s a side garage to match the dormer area above
    so that it’s all stone.

  • last year

    I like housegal's suggestion to landscape the garage area.

  • last year

    It was professionally landscaped but it’s overgrown. I know. We have to take care of that, everything needs to be trimmed down. Something’s changed. But my main concern is about what to do with the stonework on that part of the house.

  • last year

    The stonework makes sense at the entry….on the other side…not so much….it detracts from the entry..and looks a little overdone…

  • last year

    The landscaping definitely should be lower…somewhat uniform…and not compete with the house…

  • last year

    The stonework makes sense at the entry….on the other side…not so much….it detracts from the entry..and looks a little overdone…low enough so the bottom trim of the window will be visible from the street

  • last year

    ^^^Agree. I would remove the stone from the dormer and let the two-story stone entry stand out.

  • last year

    I appreciate all of your help. Thank you.