Software
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Planning for planting Fall Bulbs...how do you like camassia?

3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

I have a very "wild and wooly" area that in the spring, for bulbs, has almost exclusively daffodils and alliums (rabbits, rodents and the occasional deer). (And these two plants do very well in this location).

In a weekly gardening video, the host was extolling the virtues of the not so oft used camassia.

As far as I can recall I have not had experience with this spring bulb.

First, is it animal resistant on a par with say a daffodil?

Is it reliably hardy?

When will it likely bloom in a zone 6 climate? And so a related question...can it "compete" with grasses and the like (as do alliums this time of the year ie late May and into June)?

Does it naturalize (which would be appropriate in this location)?

Thanks for your experience.

Comments (11)

  • 3 months ago

    Thank you 'gg' for your post. With it thriving in your PNW I worry that it will need reliable moisture for it to be successful. But I will seek it out for a try.

  • 3 months ago

    If you had asked this a week or so ago, I'd have been able to take some pictures.

    I planted a few of them about five years ago - white and blue. The white ones didn't last. Last year, they started showing up all over the place. They have moved from the front yard to the backyard, and are currently in at least three beds. I haven't seen them in the lawn, but I wouldn't because they would be mowed.

    rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • 3 months ago

    Like gardengal, I also garden in the PNW and frequently see camassia in gardens here in Portland. It gets super-dry every summer here, so they're adapted to that. I've yet to add any to my garden but they're on my list. Grew some from seed in my last garden in Oregon but they never got to blooming size before we moved. I see them growing in very rough areas with heavy non-native grass cover and they seem to compete very well and bloom every year, at least the species native to the north half of the Willamette Valley.

    rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked artinnaturez8b
  • 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    I've had a couple of bulbs Camassia leichtlinii for years. They never increase and are clearly not in an optimal spot. However, they are never touched by the snails which devour the flowers of daffodils and snowdrops. In a meadow context I've seen them naturalise happily and look stunning.

    One thing. Mine are exactly the same shade as the d...ed Spanish bluebells so they're hard to spot in the general mess.

    rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • 3 months ago

    I bought a white version a few years ago. It thrived very well along the south side of my house, flowered beautifully and the hummingbirds loved it. I was able to divide the initial clump and I have it in three different spots now. Unfortunately all three decent sized clumps are flowering very sparsely this year. Maybe the extra cold winter set them back. The hummingbirds are visiting what few flowers there are though!

    rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked chouchou_gw
  • 3 months ago

    Camassia leichtlinii 'Alba' was an unexpected star of my garden this year, blooming well despite progressively worsening drought since last fall (now rated as 'exceptional' drought in Durham, NC). It has spread moderately over the years and stands up well to weeds and wildlife, both deer and rabbits, which I have in abundance. It bloomed this year in conjunction with Amsonia and I was really stunned by how good it looked, since I didn't think it would be this drought tolerant.

    rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked karen__w z7 NC
  • 3 months ago

    Excellent @karen__w z7 NC. Your description is exactly what I was looking for :).


    Camassia is for sure on my "to buy" list but at first glance they arent readily available for purchase in my neck of the woods.

  • 3 months ago

    This is a great thread. I didn't realize all the attributes of Camassia. I actually planted a few probably 15 years ago. They really didn't do anything in the location I put them. Then they petered out and I thought they were gone. A few years ago all of sudden there they were. And now this year nothing. But I have huge rabbit problems and if they are resistant to rabbits as Karen said, that alone is a reason for me to give them another chance. And we are dealing with drought here every summer. If I get the chance, this fall, I'd love to plant a 100 of them and spread them out in different areas to give them the best chance of thriving. I'm always looking for something to interest Hummers too.

    rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked prairiemoon2 z6b MA
  • 3 months ago

    And we are dealing with drought here every summer.


    Our property is quit small and yet inconsistent rain inthe summer is basically my only concern each season. Clearly those of you with lrage properties must practice "tough love" with your plants.


    I just added a third rain barrel which will help lots.

  • 3 months ago

    I planted variegated camassia which may be a less robust form. It has survived but is lost in the emerging foliage around it. Take note of the height and make sure it wont be swamped.

    rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked kitasei
  • 3 months ago

    Good to note @kitasei (re the height).