Software
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Fabric gurus…help find a coordinating fabric.

3 months ago

Help me find a fabric that coordinates with the “ bird “ chair for the dining chair seats. Home is traditional.

TIA




Comments (26)

  • PRO
    3 months ago

    Maybe a stripe with blue, green and white but I would choose one color from the chair in a nice quality fabric fo the dining seats and let the chair be the star

    eld6161 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    Suggest getting upholstery fabric swatches of various patterns and color(s). Looks like the chair is not in the DR, so it shouldn’t be too hard to complement. Also consider the DR’s wall color and is there a rug, drapery and art that needs to be considered? If you want to complement, pictures would help.


    In the end, testing will be what helps you decide.


    eld6161 thanked Maureen
  • 3 months ago

    The stripes would be nice for the dining room chairs or tiny polka dots and pick the color you want maybe you want it be bold or in another shade like Navy?

  • PRO
    3 months ago



  • 3 months ago




  • PRO
    3 months ago

    Sorry IMO all those suggested fabrics fight with that awesome chair .

  • 3 months ago

    I love all these fabulous fabrics 🤩 nice to see some color and whimsy on a thread

  • PRO
    3 months ago

    Wait .... can we see the dining room? what furniture is in there other than these chairs? what color are the walls? window treatments? what flooring?

    eld6161 thanked Design Interior South
  • 3 months ago


    The two areas are next to one another. I believe the walls Abbington Putty.

  • PRO
    3 months ago

    If your taste runs to modern/contemporary/transitional I can see why you wouldn’t like the coordinating fabrics. But they would work very well in a traditional home such as eld’s

  • 3 months ago

    Diana this is for a friend. I told her I would put her dilemma out to Houzz.

  • PRO
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    Thanks for the clarification eld. It’s a lovely traditional home. There are so many options for chair fabric without going with plain white.

  • 3 months ago

    Photo of dining area changed my mind. A performance fabric in white for the seats




  • 3 months ago

    White doesn't work.

  • 3 months ago

    @lyn nielsen's choice of a lightly patterned green would echo the chair without stealing the show.. White is a little dead and not best choice for dining chairs in any case.

  • PRO
    3 months ago

    If your friend really likes the fabric on the chair, she clearly isn't afraid of color or pattern. Some throw pillows in a coordinating fabric, as well as a rug under the dining table could bring in more color and pattern.

  • PRO
    3 months ago

    I love the green velvet it is perfect. then use some of the colors in the chair for accents , maybe even a nice pink vase filled with fresh flowers

  • 3 months ago

    It is bold choice fabric, I would keep it simple green (velvet sounds perfect to add some texire)

  • 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    A picture is worth a thousand words. Room has a nice blend of cottage and traditional, similar to the feel below. Suggest just going with a solid color on the chairs to enhance that look.





    eld6161 thanked Maureen
  • 3 months ago

    What a gorgeous fun pattern. I love it.

    I love the green options shown above in Freedomplace1's post. But I saw a gorgeous pink that might work with the colours in the fabric - especially the pink flowers and pink legs on the bird.

    Ravishing is the name of this one.



    But here are a few others too - finding one with multicolours that will work is likely going to be very difficult but I feel like a stripe might work with that fabric - still allows that fabric to be the star but not a boring compromise....


    I don't think the colours in this one are vibrant enough - but you see where I'm going to pick up some of the colour from the original fabric.



    Same with this one - might not be the right colour choices in this sample but I like the idea of more than one colour going on for the chairs to pull in more of the gorgeous colour from the original.



    This paisley is another option. This isn't quite right - but pulls many of the colours in without a distractingly large pattern.



    Love the chair - please share the finished room when its done.

    thank you

    eld6161 thanked M V
  • PRO
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    Thank you for the additional photo. When in the livng room looking at the dining room what is that view like? What is opposite the living room?

    What a treasure she has in that Josef Frank chair! The Green Birds fabric is so fresh and I fear that the rest of her space isn't showcasing the chair very well and there is no color to balance it..

    What are the goals ? Just fabric for the chairs or does she want to make the entire space cohesive and balanced? Does she like color? The room as it currently is tells me she does not.

    Example the dining set and the chair and the sofa and accent tables work. The rocker is doing the space zero favors and I would recommend moving it to another room. I do like the natural area rug but question if she couldn't do better there as well. The neutral soft roman shades are lovely but the fabric gives off more of a natural vibe and I think adding some color to compliment the chair in multiple spots would benefit the space.



    a solid green velvet or linen on the chairs

    Adding some drapery panels trimmed in green and adding the green trim to the existing shades can tie the rooms together

    doing a second upholstered chair in a green print

    anchor the room with a traditional rug and pull some blue into the space

    anchor the dining room in a natrural fiber or a wool and natural fiber rog

    i would have the dining chairs lacquered in a glossy white

    bring in a tradional chandelier

    bring in some lamps in a blue chinoiseriue print with pleasted shades

    some abstract art on either side of the armoire in the colors of the Josef Frank chair

    some pillows in some fabrics with all the colors in them



    eld6161 thanked Design Interior South
  • 3 months ago

    Eld6161. Did your friend make a decision?

  • 3 months ago

    It will be a while. She busy with other things, I will share results.