Software
Houzz Logo Print
laura_baer62

Kitchen sink choice

3 months ago

Redoing a kitchen cabinet and will need a sink. Cabinet it will be within is 36” wide. I will want an under mount. Not interested in Cast Iron as my existing home has the Kohler White Haven in White and it chips easily and they do not honor their warranty to replace. They send a touch up paint that doesn’t match and it doesn’t permanently fill the chip anyway. Looking at composite and stainless. I’ll probably be doing a white or creamy quartz counter or possibly something like Taj Mahal quartzite satin. Thoughts?

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    3 months ago

    Laura:

    A 36" sink will undermount in your 36" cabinet, no matter what the sink manufacturer says as long as you strap, not clip or block, it in place. Get the largest sink you can; you won't regret it. Get a workstation style and it will do double duty as a countertop.


    Stainless steel is tough to beat, but the composites are fine. Elkay or Karran, the Blancos are a little too rough for my liking.

  • 3 months ago

    Thanks Joseph.

  • 3 months ago

    I like stainless steel. If you go that route, look for one with a sound dampening coating on the bottom. I also looked for 16 gauge (thicker) instead of 18 gauge, but some sources say for residential it doesn't matter so much. I much prefer a single bowl to a double as I like laying skillets and baking sheets flat to clean. Many here recommend rounded corners, which I don't have but I do think would be easier to keep clean than my square corners.

  • 3 months ago

    Recently replaced our enameled cast iron with a fireclay sink. My kitchen designer highly recommended it but I was skeptical. I LOVE it. It is a single bowl undermount.

  • 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    I evaluate the counter space to think about the sink size. A smaller sink can fit on one side of a 36" cabinet with almost half the area inside good for storage. A 24" undermount with interior of 21" wide 9" deep and 18" front to back. That size will fit everything you use in a kitchen. You gain 13" or so of counter for your work zone. That can be very valuable. Depends on kitchen size.

  • 3 months ago

    Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

  • PRO
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    Here's an example of what Joseph recommended:

    Ruvati 36: work sink




  • PRO
    3 days ago

    I agree that a quality stainless steel sink is the safest choice. It will not chip the way your cast iron sink did, and a well-made stainless sink can truly last for generations.


    I would be cautious with composite. Over time, the surface can develop permanent wear that cannot simply be refinished away, and the resin used to bind the material also creates heat limitations that solid metal does not have.


    One other thought: I would definitely consider a workstation sink. In my opinion, not incorporating workstation functionality into a kitchen being remodeled today can instantly date the kitchen. A properly designed workstation sink works perfectly in a 36-inch cabinet and adds a tremendous amount of usable prep space without requiring a larger footprint.


    I wrote up the long-term downsides of composite sinks here in case it helps: www.rachiele.com/post/what-are-the-downsides-of-a-composite-sink-what-homeowners-should-know-before-choosing-one


    Dino Rachiele

  • 3 days ago

    In a current kitchen designed for good function a 21 x 18 inch interior dimension sink in a 24" base cabinet is a logical choice. Everything you use in kitchen work can be cleaned or rinsed and placed in your adjacent dw to wash and dry much better than by hand. Solo equipment not for the dw is quick and can be replaced ready for the next use. Not left out for time to air dry. Finish cleanup and leave the space looking polished. A 24" base gives you 12" more wide drawer cabinet storage with 15 inches more counter from the 21 inch interior undermount sink. A wider sink with a faucet on the two back corners is an option fpr two or more working with no prep sink space. Luckily there's enough demand for all the options.

  • 3 days ago

    Go with a stainless steel sink:

    - I like the comment above that it'll last several lifetimes -- they don't chip, and they clean up better than anything else. My current sink was installed in 1970 -- still looks perfectly good.

    - Don't get too torn up over 16 vs. 18 gauge. This is the difference between an A and an A+. Is one better? A little. In reality, you won't notice a difference in function or noise.

    - But do go with the largest sink you can fit into your space.

  • 3 days ago

    I’m happy to hear that everyone seems to like workstation sinks. I’m looking at Create Goods which comes with one ledge, but I can create a higher one by asking the fabricator to leave a reveal. Also, I don’t think it comes with the accessories, so I’m thinking of just buying things as I need them – such as a cutting board and a roll up dish drying rack which can also be used to rinse produce.