Software
Houzz Logo Print
markay_6746

popcorn drift shift?

2 months ago

I’ve been growing popcorn drift for a number of years and it has always been a lovely and prolific bloomer producing roses that are a yellow-white blend with some apricot in cooler weather.


This sunmer though, the blooms are very different. Has anyone else had this happen?







Comments (14)

  • 2 months ago

    Popcorn Drift is a sport of Peach Drift. It looks like it has reverted back.

    Markay MD-Zone 7B thanked Dave5bWY
  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    As much as I liked my Popcorn Drifts, they couldn't stop making hips. If not dead headed, the repeat bloom was drastically reduced due to their hip formation. I grew the Drifts so that I do not have to dead head them like I don't, my Sweet Drifts and Apricot Drifts, which produce no hips and clean themselves nicely. My Popcorn Drifts are long gone for this reason.

    Another abundant bloomer that produced hips relentlessly, and had to be deadheaded aggressively or reblooming was greatly diminished, was my White Knock Out (formerly, 'White Out'), which got shovel pruned for that reason.

    Moses.

    Markay MD-Zone 7B thanked Moses, Pitt PA, cold W & hot-humid S, z6
  • 2 months ago

    Thank you Dave. That’s unfortunate, but good info.

  • 2 months ago

    @Moses, Pitt PA, cold W & hot-humid S, z6 this might be a sign that I need to try Antique Rose Emporiums rose Grandbaby. I’ve been eyeing that one for awhile and now. I do love yellow roses!

  • 2 months ago

    Interesting. Are you going to keep it now that it's reversed back to Peach Drift? It's very beautiful!

  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    Markay,

    Looks like Grandbaby would be the perfect front of border rose bush. It's listed as under 24" tall, flower size, 2.5", (a miniflora sized bloom), heavy petaled, a nice creamy light yellow/ivory, but having a cupped bloom that may present balling up issues. I would experiment with one bush to see how it does both for balling up possibilities, and as yet undetermined black spot resistance. Still worth going through a garden trial.

    Moses.

  • 2 months ago

    My first grandbaby is due in September so that might be part of the appeal. :-)

  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    First Grandbaby - a milestone in your life, Markay. May your grandchild come healthy, and grow up to be a kind and loving person, a blessing to everyone.

    Moses.

  • 2 months ago

    Awwww… Thank you!

  • 2 months ago

    Oh, Markay!! A first Grandbaby!!! I haven't got one yet, and I'm super excited for you!!! :) :) I can just see a little girl or boy wandering around your roses and other flowers. :) :)

  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    Thank you @rosecanadian! I am very excited. As for Peach Drift, I grew it previously and removed it because it grew much larger than I was prepared for so I’m not sure what to do with it.


    I might move it by Lafter. At the Botanical garden, there is a planting of Lafter surrounded by peach drift that is very pretty.


  • 2 months ago

    I found this picture of Lafter and Peach Drift together at the Botanic Garden.



  • 2 months ago

    More congrats are in order, Markay.


    Your entry was so strong that the data monitoring committee decided to stop the competition early and award yours the Rose Forum Title of the Summer.



  • 2 months ago

    Markay - my goodness what a bountiful garden!! They're sure doing a great job there.