Software
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Ideas for alternative layout of small bedroom?

2 months ago

The room is about 10x11 feet with a full sized bed. The TV has to be on that wall because that’s where the cable connection is.

The bed was pushed up against the wall to maximize available space, but the metal bed frame has damaged the wall. The wall will be repaired and repainted, but I want to prevent the same thing from happening again.

I will likely get rid of that large table since it is more deep than it really needs to be and is eating up a lot of space in the room. However, the room still needs a desk area and a place for the TV for someone who will spend a lot of time in the room.


Any ideas on rearranging the bed or leaving in the same position with sime kind of padding to prevent the bed frame from causing new damage?







Comments (104)

  • last month

    I‘m going to be ordering a headboard and furniture this week. I might choose one of the options already posted here, but I wanted to see if anyone had other ideas for a slim profile desk/eating area with storage drawers that will be quickly deliverable from places like Ikea/Wayfair/Amazon.

    I plan to go to the local Ikea warehouse tomorrow to look at options in person.


    I am leaning towards Sherman Williams Alabaster paint colors with eggshell for the walls and ceiling and satin for the baseboards.

    Should the window trim around the plantation shutters be painted to match the new baseboards color or left white matching the shutters?

  • last month

    This is what the bed looks like swapped around and the large table removed.





    I need to find some kind of cover for the bed frame ends ti prevent it from gauging the wall again after the room repainted.




    To maximize the walk space at the foot of the bed to allow the space for desk and chair below where the TV will be wall mounted, I will need either an extremely low profile headboard or a wall mount headboard.


    i found a very slim desk at Ikea today that is similar to one suggested from Wayfair.


    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laengdhopp-pull-out-desk-white-30587080/



    There is not much room at the side of the be bed to fit a night stand that won’t interfere with the pleats of any sheer drapes that are installed.




  • last month

    Can you slide the bed left a little (toward the angle) to make more walk space between it and the window? Once drapes are hung, taking up some of the space on the right, the slightly off-center position won't be noticeable (see the renderings above, some of which do that). Depending on how the mirror is hung, you might be able to slide it left a bit as well so it stays centered over the bed. Space for a nightstand will still be tight. (Notice some renderings don't show one.) A wall-mounted reading light might have to do on that side.

  • last month

    It looks much better without the large table in there, so you’re off to a good start.

    For the bed consider mounting a 2x4 to the wall and then attaching the bed frame directly to it. Add a wall hanging headboard and then you won’t lose any space other than the 1 3/4” for the board.

    It hard to tell how much room you have to the sides of the bed but you could look for a small wall hung shelves that might work there.

  • last month

    I like the look of the headboard, and I am also likely to go with white, but I think I will need something easy care so that the headboard doesn’t get discolored with hair products or anything else.

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    Something like this is only 1" deep, can attach right to your bed frame, and will be maintenance free.


    It's available in several colors and less than $80.


    IMO, there's no reason to hang sheers over the plantation shutters. I'd leave them plain to make sure you have room for a small night stand with a wall sconce for reading.


    Nightstands like these have storage and are only 12" wide.


  • last month

    Where is the headboard sold? The ones I see locally look like they will add at least 4 inches to the bed length.

  • last month

    Here's the link to the headboard. It's out of stock in the queen but you can ask to be notified when it comes back. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Home-Design-Yakima-Full-Headboard-with-Minimalist-Design-Easy-Installation-Black-Easy-Assembly-Adjustable-Height/19477252986

  • last month

    OK, thanks, I was able to order it. The bed is full sized.

  • last month

    The room has been repainted SW Alabaster and the fluorescent ceiling fan replaced with a new one with dimmable and directional lighting. I also put in the new and slim desk.

    I’m waiting for delivery of the headboard and new 55 inch TV to be wall mounted next week.

    I plan to get carpet runners and a couple of framed artwork. One next to the window and one to the left of the head of the bed. Should the artwork have a lot of white in it to go with the white furniture at the foot of the bed?

    I also plan on getting new bedding. All crisp white bedding or something else?

    I still need a narrow bedside table on the side by the window for keeping the TV remote and phone charging station and maybe a pole light on the other side of the bed.


    A new bedskirt to hide the foundation?






  • last month
    last modified: last month

    I got the headboard and TV delivered and I will likely get new bedding and a new rug in the future.

    I like the way thick duvets look, but I don’t want the hassle of removing and reapplying duvet covers or expecting the person using the room to do that. So, I will stick with something easy care that can just be thrown in a normal sized washer and dryer.







  • last month

    I am reacting badly to the colors in this space. I liked the green-grey better than this trendy cream with the flooring; now they clash. I also get a cluttered feeling about the room even with no "stuff" in it. The ceiling fan contrasts too sharply with the ceiling color. The items on the walls are hung too high. The horizontal mirror looks disconnected at the moment, but maybe the headboard will fix that. The TV also looks like it's floating in space. "Getting some art"... makes me cringe. You asked for help with the furniture arrangement and got it. But what is needed is help with all aspects of this room. Now you have new flooring and new paint creating conflict and being on center stage with no other color in the room and no color plan in a room that is gasping without it. Could you have survived with a smaller bed?

  • last month

    The artwork can be lowered and I may get rid of the mirror over the bed and put something else there I that wall should not be empty, but a smaller bed will not work.
    A twin will be too small for adults and a twin XL will be 4 inches longer and will make the walkway at the foot of the bed too tight. The full bed is shorter, but has enough width so that a taller adult can lay at an angle if they need to without falling off the edge.
    There was not enough natural light coming in through that north facing window to make the original color look the way I wanted. So, I switched to a lighter and warmer color, plus added the ceiling fan that provided much better lighting against the walls.

  • last month

    Would replacing the mirror above the headboard with one or both of the hanging framed artwork be a good idea or should it have something else in the similar rectangular shape as the mirror?


    Would leaving that wall empty be better than leaving the mirror as is?

  • last month

    I disagree about the new wall color. I like it. It's brighter. The headboard is good and will keep the frame from marking up your walls. As far as the artwork, how wide is each print? If they're not too big, they might look nice over the bed hung about 2" apart and about 5-6" above the headboard.


    At this point, I think the room is lacking a bit of life and color. I'm still wondering if you have a renter or know if you'll be renting to a male or female. I think a comforter in a tasteful print would bring some interest to a very neutral room. What color would you like to introduce into the room?

  • last month

    I would probably add sage green to the room.
    I will have family visiting occasionally using the room when the room isn’t rented.
    The artwork is 24”x30”.

  • last month

    It will be rented to a male.

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    I think the room arrangement is much nicer, and the colors look goof and very fresh . The room just needs some little touches to make it feel inviting.

    I like the mirror placement since it reflects the window and pulls in more light, but it’s not the right size. Try one that is smaller in length than the headboard and a little taller. It's not quite right in the rendering either so ignore that and make sure you center it to the headboard if you replace the current one.


    I like a patterned rug, but that's just personal preference if you want to stick with the solid color.


    Keep it up, it'll be a nice room for a renter.


  • last month

    Would this style and color of comforter be best or crisp white?



  • last month

    I usually prefer conservative and neutral styles, but maybe a patterned rug can work and will make any small stains not obvious.

    I want a low pile that a cordless stick vac won’t struggle with.


    I am inclined towards runners because it seems like such a waste to have a large rug that will be 80% covered by furniture and is collecting dust under the bed.

  • last month

    My preference is usually white, but either would be fine.

    I get that about an area rug but there are some pros to an area rug versus runners. I find a large rug easier to vacuum especially when it’s weighted by the bed. Plus regardless of what side of the bed I hop out my feet are hitting the soft carpet, and it doesn’t move around like runners can. Just food for thought but I understand if you prefer a runner.

  • PRO
    last month

    Looking good. A sage lightly printed comforter would be more durable with a renter. I think a runner on side of bed would be practical too. If guest room, I prefer full rug. It also helps with noise pollution!

  • PRO
    last month

    Avoid white for renter.

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    I know you just painted, but I see cream art with a barely discernible image against cream walls. The subtle art would be much more effective against a darker wall. And if the goal is a lighter space, maybe consider replacing the very dark chest of drawers with a white one that's not quite as deep?

    This turns the mirror vertically on the angled wall, since a full-length mirror there could be useful for dressing (for women, at least!).

  • last month

    I could wish for a wider desk; this one leaves an awkward corner between it and the wall. You could put a luggage stand in that corner. I always appreciate one, since I never unpack for short stays (so would never use the chest of drawers). I just live out of my suitcase, and that's much easier if it's up off the floor.

  • last month

    The closet sliding doors are mirrored. So, that takes care of any full length mirror needs.

    I will get a luggage rack for vistors.

  • last month

    The prints are a nice size to fit over the bed. Perhaps there's somewhere else in your home you can use the full length mirror. I understand what Emily is saying about the mirror reflecting light from the window but IMO, the added texture above the bed would be nice.


    And yes, the comforter you're looking at would be fine. Maybe just one printed accent pillow and a throw for some texture and interest.


  • last month

    You're right, @jaxo, I forgot about the mirrored doors. You will need something on the angled wall, though; if not the mirror, then art (something with color).

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    I decided not to move the existing artwork over the bed.

    When I replace the mirror, I want to get something lightweight that won’t injure anyone if it fell off the wall while someone is in bed.

    I’m thinking of artwork in a very lightweight frame similar to cardboard or plastic. No glass or heavy wood.

  • last month

    I decided to get bedding and a rug locally instead of ordering what I saw online.

    I went with patterns to better hide discoloration.

    The bedding looks gray in the the photos, but in person, its multicolored white, green, and brown.

    A mini fridge, luggage rack, and a lamp or two will come next week.




  • last month

    Change out the mirror to a lightweight canvas or print, and add a bedside table and lamp to make the room look finished and ready to rent.

  • last month

    It needs a small nightstand like the one @Emily included. But don't add decorative throw pillows. In fact if the renter is a long-time renter, they may prefer their own more care-free bedding, like a simple duvet.

  • last month

    The bedding looks nice. I see you added an area rug as well! Good choice. Since the nightstand is so small, I think a wall sconce would be a better choice than a lamp. That will leave room for a phone charger, book, etc. on the nightstand. Is there room to fit a small round table on the angled wall side? That way both sides of the bed have a place to set something down.


    Emily's canvas is a nice choice to hang. If it's unframed, it will be very light.

  • last month

    I’m thinking about walk sconces, but they will be a hassle to hardwire and it commits you to that layout.
    Maybe two floor lamps slim enough to fit behind nightstands?

    Otherwise, I think I would rather get plug in wall sconces that have a straight conduit to hide the cord that matches the style of the fixture so you don’t need to paint or otherwise try to hide the power cord running down the wall.

    I don’t want the hassle of rechargeable sconces since they only run for a few hours before they need recharging again.

  • last month

    This comforter is too bulky and difficult to wash at home. I’m going to switch to a more thin quilt or blanket that can be layered if necessary and washed one at a time.

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    You don't have to hardwire them. I did plug-ins and as you said, you can get a cord cover for them painted to match the wall color. Rechargeable sconces are a pain if you use them all the time. Something with an adjustable arm is nice so you can redirect the light for reading if you want.


    I prefer something thinner that can be layered myself. Not sure of your climate but in the winter, I usually add a blanket and I'm in SW Florida. Bed, Bath and Beyond has this in lots of colors and it's only $60 for the set. It says it's oversized so it should cover the rails easily. You can even use the 20% off coupon that pops up when you open the web page.


    https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Bedding-Bath/Oversized-Solid-3-piece-Quilt-Set-by-Southshore-Fine-Linens/10224739/product.html?opre=1&option=15560257

  • last month

    Quite often the plug in wall lights have the switch on the cord, which may or may not be convenient to access. If not conveniently located, you can purchase a touch control lamp socket dimmer, to make any lamp that has a metal base, touch control. They’re sold on Amazon for a minimal price.

  • last month

    None of the big box stores seem to locally stock the wired sconces with a diffusing shade. So, I will need to look online.
    If I could find a floor lamp that has the pole with the wiring indented flush against the wall, so it could fit flush behind a nightstand, I would be inclined to get that.

  • last month

    I made the last changes, wall sconces, refrigerator and luggage rack, replaced the mirror and bedding.
    The luggage rack can be folded away and put in the closet or under the bed when not in use.

  • last month

    Nicely done!

  • PRO
    last month

    Good job!

  • last month

    You might try sliding the desk and fridge down into the corner and then having the luggage rack by the door. It won’t look crowded by the door that way.

  • last month

    It looks so nice - crisp and clean and welcoming ✨

  • last month

    It may be better for the fridge to be by the door so it can easily be moved off the rug if it needs defrosting.
    It might not need defrosting since it doesn’t have a freezer compartment, but I won’t know for sure until it’s been running for several weeks.
    If it looks like it won’t ever need defrosting, I’ll move it into the corner.

  • last month

    Just scoot it down to the corner a few inches to get it off the door frame.


    Looks good! So much better than the start :)

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    I will shift the fridge to the left a few inches so it doesn’t overlap the door frame.

  • last month

    Looking good! Those lamps make such a difference to the mood. One small tweak (but a pain to do) is to shift the rug toward the tall dresser so it sits just a few inches in front of the dresser. It will actually make that walkway look a bit less narrow and gives more softness in the walking path.

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    It looks wonderful. It's clean, inviting and simple. Anyone would be comfortable in there. Nicely done! We see so many projects on here that get started or talked about endlessly but never end in completion. You were very gracious in taking advice and suggestions and I think you have a warm, inviting space at the end of it all.

  • PRO
    21 days ago

    I would actually try rotating the bed 90 degrees, so it sits sideways to the window, with the foot of the bed facing toward the area where the large desk is now. That could open up much more usable space on the left side of the room and, to me, would make the layout feel more balanced.

    Once the large desk is removed, I’d also resist filling that space with another big piece of furniture. A smaller functional piece, better lighting, and a stronger focal point around the bed could make the whole room feel much more intentional.

    I recently created three completely different transformations of the same bedroom, so this might give you a few ideas for the overall look and how much a bedroom can change through layout, lighting, color and decor:
    https://youtu.be/nEcPGozCbFY

  • 20 days ago

    @Prime Estate Studio, the OP has completely finished this room.