Software
Houzz Logo Print
sherrym78218

Would love help with master bedroom makeover

13 years ago
I'm not very confident in my interior design skills (or lack thereof!) so have been perusing this site for help. Saw all the great input on the discussion boards so thought I would ask for some help.
1. I'm taking out the carpet in this room and putting in a wood laminate. So that prompted me to want to redo it (also a divorce and the need for a new look!)
2. I would like to go with a gray and white bedroom with accent color of turquoise. Do you think that would go okay with the furniture? Can't afford new furniture so need to work with what I've got! Most of the photos I've seen with this color scheme have white or black furniture so having a hard time visualizing it.
3. What do you think of the furniture positioning? I like to watch tv in bed so need to keep that in mind. One entire wall is closets.
4. I'm also going to redo master bath with same colors. Getting new vanity and will repaint same color as bedroom.
I really appreciate the opinions/ideas and help!
Here are photos of my bedroom right now

Comments (81)

  • 13 years ago
    And here is another possibility in white (ruched)
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you Lydia for your input.
  • 13 years ago
    Pintuck white for bedding would be my choice, faux silk panels for windows, no valances, remove chest at foot of bed, padded headboard which you can make over with existing headboard, remove small photos an replace with large artwork
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    You're welcome! Here I go again......I like the idea of a screen as a headboard but I just don't see it with your furniture. If you're intent on getting one then I suggest painting it depending on the wall colour you choose. I think an upholstered headboard would be more elegant. Target has alot of options. P.S. I prefer the second screen but the first one could also look very nice painted. Whatever you decide......if the headboard is dark then go with white bedding and if the headboard is light then go with grey bedding. As I mentioned earlier, I really don't like the turquoise - I find it's too heavy for your furniture. :)
  • 13 years ago
    Lydia - I think you are right. I love the screen idea and particularly like the second one. But I think I we'll have too many dark wood pieces. I thought about the upholstered headboard this afternoon and found one at Target. So thanks for confirming my idea. This shouldn't be that hard! LOL. But it is. And I'm trying to keep within a budget but have a nice room. Thank you again for your time!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'm all about being budget-friendly! You really don't need to spend alot of money to have a nice room. Please feel free to ask for any advice or opinion.....I'd be happy to help you make this space your own. Did you decide which colour to paint the walls?
  • 13 years ago
    I liked your suggestions for wall colors. I don't want to wallpaper so I think I will paint the walls gray. Similar to the color you suggested. White trim. I'm replacing baseboards so will probably pick a thicker baseboard. Will buy that target diamond point comforter and possibly a gray coverlet ( target has a nice one) and gray sheets. Then the torquoise accent pillows and a few other turquoise accessories to tie it in. And if my budget allows, the white headboard like you suggested.
    Love having someone to bounce ideas off of. Can't wait to redo this bedroom and have a new feel to it.
    Thanks again - will probably post photos and continue to ask questions!
  • 13 years ago
    Oh I just saw where you suggested I go with grey bedding if I get the white headboard. That makes sense. Okay I need to figure out what I'm going to do. LOL. I need to buy the bedding so I can pick the paint!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You're off to a great start......how exciting! :))
  • 13 years ago
    Follow
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Are you planning to add artwork?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would like to see you do at least 1 wall with some color. Here is a great article on Houzz about doing that:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/make-over-your-bedroom-with-one-wall-of-color-stsetivw-vs~17603294?utm_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u362&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery16

    Also if you need a bathroom vanity that is what we do at BathGems.com - 1000s of vanities to pick from.
  • 13 years ago
    Will do some simple artwork Denise! And bath gems - I should probably do one feature wall but I'm too boring!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Much better and love the name of the paint colour! ;)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Love the new wall color!!!!
  • 13 years ago
    Think about bamboo blinds and getting rid of the valance. Try removing the picture over the headboard. It doesn't work there. Great color for your walls.
  • 13 years ago
    Love wall color. You are half way there.
  • 13 years ago
    Looks good Sherry
  • 13 years ago
    WOW! Love the paint color! Looking good Sherry!
  • 13 years ago
    It's always nice to have the opportunity to redo a space that will be more cozy and comfortable for yourself. I like the turquoise colors we are seeing. I'm feeling something other then whites and grays because they are cool colors and a bedroom I would want warm. So, creamy whites or warmer colors. Also, maybe you would consider painting (or having some painted) of your pieces of furniture? It appears it is not all matching pieces so this would tie it together. Don't forget pretty bedding :)
  • 13 years ago
    Painted furniture :)
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks leelee for your ideas! Yes, there will be new window treatments and new artwork. : Momola - I love the boards you put together. I think I'm too far into it though with gray and white. Painted the room already. I will just have to see how it all looks together when I'm done. And thanks to everyone for the encouragement and ideas.
  • 12 years ago
    Okay I'm making progress. Not quite done but here is the bedroom. I love the colors. Give me your thoughts. And this is what I still plan to do:
    1. Hang white linen curtains
    2. Buy white upholstered headboard
    3. Find stuff for the walls
    4. Change out electrical plugs and covers
    5. Maybe get chandelier. When I save up some more money!

    Thanks everyone for your input.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    What a difference! Just a thought......I find the bed looks awkward in the corner with the night stand so close to the dresser. It doesn't seem very comfortable when watching tv. I prefer the way it was before or maybe try what I had suggested in an earlier post. You must be very excited about the progress and change!!! :))
  • 12 years ago
    Sherry, it looks so nice and you've got a great plan that you listed. Agree with Lydia, move nightstand to other side and get larger lamp for it, I like the shape of it but it's too short.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Lydia and Rosemary. I agree with the position of the bed. I wasn't thrilled with it but my 12 yr old son who was helping me loved it so I humored him. Will rearrange tomorrow.
  • 12 years ago
    Okay need opinions on furniture placement! Lydia? Others? Moved bed from corner and tried different set-up. What do you think? Does chair look too alone on that wall?
  • 12 years ago
    So this is the view when standing in the hall and looking in the room. I know the tv is not in a great place but can't think go where else it could go.
  • 12 years ago
    And this is standing at the foot of the bed and looking into the bathroom. Which I also redid.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hello Sherry! Wow.....I really like it! So much more cohesive! Turn the chair at the same angle but facing the tv. I would prefer a high back chair BUT if you add an accent table and curtains the chair won't be as lonely. And definitely a mirror above the dresser. I'm so happy that you're making this room your own.....good on you! :)
  • 12 years ago
    And the walls look really bare! Need to get artwork. And put up the curtains! But little by little. And I did this on a budget. Chair was on clearance at World Market for $100. Bedding from Homegoods.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Just saw the bathroom pic.......you're on a roll!!! You don't need to spend alot of money to have great design!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Lydia! I got such a great deal on the chair that I couldn't pass it up. What kind of mirror? What size? And just a small accent table? Same wood color as my furniture? Or something white?
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you Lydia! I live in a modest "ranch" style home built in the 60s. I've done quite a bit to fix it up but there's always more! Im really pleased with my bedroom and bathroom! Still have more to do. It I love the colors and feel of it. Didn't think I would like having a chair in here or even use it but I do!
  • 12 years ago
    Okay. Put furniture back to how I originally had room set up. Except put nightstand on other side of bed and new chair where nightstand used to be. Which do you prefer?
  • 12 years ago
    And now I've switched nightstand and chair.
  • 12 years ago
    Love the turquoise vase but would put it up on dresser so more obvious perhaps put white article on floor as it will show up against the floor. Need light pillow with grey and turg print for chair
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks mseanor for your input. I bought the turquoise vase because it was a good deal and the right color but hadn't decided what to do with it. I had thought of putting white branches in it but hadn't gotten that far! I will try it on dresser. What do you think of furniture placement?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I much prefer the first layout you posted with the dresser on the wall. Don't try to match the accent table to the wood of your furniture. I suggest bringing in some bronze (like the pulls?) or white like you mentioned. For the mirror, a round or oval one would look best. I don't know what size your dresser is but maybe a 30" mirror? Here are some examples of what could work. These are from World Market and Target. Also, consider adding a foot stool for the chair to create a small reading nook.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Your room is looking great! Here's a few ideas for artwork.
    Art Selections · More Info
    Art Selections · More Info
    Art Selections · More Info
    Art Selections · More Info
    Art Selections · More Info
    Art Selections · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you Lydia for holding my hand though this! The dresser is 58" long. I have this mirror that I took out of my bathroom but I think it's too gold. I wonder if there is a way to darken/bronze it? Will look for accent table. And maybe a foot stool - that was a great suggestion.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    My pleasure! Could you try sanding it to make it look antiqued??
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Denise! Nice colors in the abstracts. Are they water colors? Prints of paintings?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thanks Sherry. Those are all original paintings - acrylics on canvas.
  • 12 years ago
    Like the placement of the last picture with the chair just move the chair over further and turn it. Looking forward to seeing artwork as that will put the pop in
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yes great idea.
  • 12 years ago
    I recently had to stage my home for sale and another stager insisted that I needed a more 'fluff' look to my bedding...and she was right! I see that need in yours too. Ikea has a white duvet cover and you can put a fluffy inexpensive comforter inside. Just make sure to iron the duvet...it would add a dreamy feel to your bed. A soft rug on the floor would be nice too.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi Sherry, looking great. Would like to see a larger table lamp on nightstand as opposed to the petite one you have now. Little by little... You could also raise it up in the meantime by placing some large books underneath the lamp.
  • 12 years ago
    beautiful bedspread!