Software
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Cookie peeps - advice

19 hours ago

I am having trouble with my cookie dough (well chilled) getting stuck in the details of my cutter. This did not happen last time. I never have had to dust my (plastic) cutter with flour etc.


Have you ever done this:

When dough gets trapped in the inner details, it is usually because the dough is too soft or the cutter's narrow grooves are creating a vacuum.The best way to solve this is the plastic wrap trick, which prevents the dough from ever entering those sticky crevices while still transferring the detailed design.How to Use the Plastic Wrap Trick

  • Lay it flat: Roll your dough to the desired thickness, then lay a sheet of plastic cling wrap loosely over the top of the dough.
  • Press right through: Press your detailed plastic cutter firmly down on top of the plastic wrap and into the dough.
  • Lift and peel: Pull the cutter straight up (the plastic wrap keeps the dough from sticking to the cutter), then gently peel the plastic wrap off the dough.

Comments (19)

  • 19 hours ago

    I haven't done that before. But I have dusted my cookie cutter with lightly sugar rather than flour, and gotten fair results.


    .......now I want a cookie.......

    mtnrdredux_gw thanked pudgeder
  • 19 hours ago

    And a glass of milk?


    mtnrdredux_gw thanked bpath
  • 18 hours ago

    Just spray it with that well-named product called Pam.

    mtnrdredux_gw thanked dedtired
  • 16 hours ago

    I have not done that. I would not be the first to try it. The last thing I need is to be peeling bits of plastic wrap from cut cookie dough and cutters or finding remnants in a baked cookie.

    My thoughts are the dough is too thin for the cutter design and might work better a little thicker, the dough wasn't fully chilled or warmed or it needs additional flour (mistake in the mesure, extra large eggs, butter with a little more water or even a warmer or humid day). When you remove the dough, keep it on the cold baking sheet and just peel off the top layer of parchment. That will keep the dough a little cooler a little longer. Try chilling your cutter or mold, spraying it with a cooking spray or both. Peel off the excess dough and bake on the same sheet of parchment.

    Is this the cut out sugar cookies or a different recipe?

    mtnrdredux_gw thanked lascatx
  • 8 hours ago

    I have never been a fan of those plastic cutters that are intended to leave impressed details but prefer cutters (primarily metal) that cut out the outline only.

    mtnrdredux_gw thanked lisaam
  • 7 hours ago
    last modified: 7 hours ago

    It is the cut out sugar cookie recipe i have been making for well over a decade, and for which I have meticulous instructions and notes meticulously followed (a multi page Google doc!) I weigh my ingredients, time my refrigerations, use bands for accurate thickness, and yes, cut on the parchment and leave the cookie in situ. It was not particulalry warm or humid. I have made these very cookies with this cutter and this recipe a few times before, in this kitchen.

    Arggh I am bedeviled. I guess I will try cooking spray.

    I have never been a fan of those plastic cutters that are intended to leave impressed details but prefer cutters (primarily metal) that cut out the outline only.

    !00%! But this was a custom cookie that looks exactly like our adorable summer chapel. And it was available only in plastic, though I am thinking about finding someone to make it in metal. It also has all of the details that make the building recognizable, which saves me a ton of piping (and i no longer make cookies often enough to have good piping skills. I can pipe well enough to flood, but these cookies are naked except for outlining the details and a few blades of grass and flowers at the foundation). Love the look of flooded cookies but prefer the taste when they are partially nekkid, especially a large cookie like this one.

    I know well enough never to say in advance I am making these, and if I can't get them to behave today I will freeeze it all and try again at Christmas!

  • 6 hours ago
    last modified: 6 hours ago

    With Chinese noodles, egg noodles, wrappers and so on, directions advise the cook to use cornstarch/corn flour because it will keep the pastry from sticking but will not contribute to gluten formation. Perhaps you could try this.

    I assume you are using the same type and brand of flour that you have been successful with in the past.

    I hope you come up with a solution. So much effort and the custom cookies sound lovely.

    mtnrdredux_gw thanked petalique
  • 6 hours ago

    Strange. Especially since it has worked well in the past. My solution is not terribly helpful, but I would add a teaspoon of flour to the work surface and roll the ball of dough in it before rolling it out thin. Then, before cutting it, I would put the whole tray of rolled out dough into the freezer for a quick firming up.


    Good luck! I remember those beautiful chapel cookies.

    mtnrdredux_gw thanked jojoco
  • 6 hours ago
    last modified: 5 hours ago

    I don't use any flour because I roll out my dough between two sheets of parchment, just after it is made. Then I chill the flat dough on the cookie sheet for at least an hour in the fridge. Its always worked in the past. sheesh

    This is the source for the cutter: https://cookiecutz.com/


    I wonder if they could make me one cutter that is just an outline, and a second one that stamps the design?

  • 5 hours ago

    Odd thought since you used them before. Rewash cutters in dishwasher top rack or soak in Dawn liquid and use gentle brush inside.?

    I lnow you wash well, but maybe a thin film clung to them?

    mtnrdredux_gw thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • 5 hours ago

    Let us know how you rectified the situation, please.


    And when the cookies are ready.....

  • 3 hours ago
    last modified: 3 hours ago

    Okay. Update.

    Usually I wait just a few minutes when I bring out the dough, because it is otherwise too hard to get the cookie out of the mold. Usually IME the cookie almost falls out of the cutter.

    This time, I cut it immediately, and only cut 3 or 4 before I put the rolled dough back in the fridge again. That made the cut out crisper, but harder to get out.

    SO, this time, I whacked the cookie cutter hard, on the cookie sheet. Exactly six times (!!), and it falls out.

    After a few minutes, the dough is too soft and the center (the door, portico and columns) get stuck and left behind when i whack the cutter.

    I did also dip the cutter in powdered sugar and shake it off. Not sure if that helped or not, but it was slight visible (even though brushed it off with a pastry brush before baking).

    I have ten made, and a lot of dough to reroll.



    I will make them only a tiny bit fall like. This was spring:



    This is my plan for fall:



    And of course all is hidden/forgiven in a glassine bag with a bow.



  • 3 hours ago
    last modified: 3 hours ago

    I also contacted the co that made it for me and asked if they can make a two part cutter in metal. One for the outline, and one to emboss the details.

  • 3 hours ago

    Baking exists mostly to try your patience!

  • 1 hour ago
    last modified: 1 hour ago

    I've used the same cookie recipe and method approaching 20 years now, and like you, I find it game changing and nearly trouble free. I do cut the dough as soon as it comes out from the fridge though. That has worked best for the shapes and cutters I have worked with. One time I decided to roll one step thicker and that helped with that batch. Sounds like that might help you get through this batch. If you weigh the flour, it is still possible the butter had a slilghtly higher water content or the eggs were a bit larger or looser, making the dough just a little wetter. Hope you are able to get two metal cutters. That will give you the most control and the best details. Meanwhile, work fast and good luck!

    mtnrdredux_gw thanked lascatx
  • 1 hour ago
    last modified: 1 hour ago

    it is still possible the butter had a slilghtly higher water content or the eggs were a bit larger or looser

    yup, i should weigh the eggs too

    He can't do a metal cutter, but I am getting one outline cutter and one embossing stamp. I think that will do it. It's really the doorway that causes trouble.

  • 50 minutes ago

    Sorry but dusting the cutter with flour is fast, easy and 100% success. You go to extreme measures IMHO for cookies. The little church is sweet and I am sure delicious--but I still would never attempt your process for one.

    mtnrdredux_gw thanked arcy_gw
  • 18 minutes ago
    last modified: 13 minutes ago

    Sorry but dusting the cutter with flour is fast, easy and 100% success.

    No it isn't - perhaps you have never tried to cut out a cookie that is this intricate, which is why you have not had this issue. And I will not add flour as it can impact the taste.

    You go to extreme measures IMHO for cookies.

    Yes, "extreme measures" is my middle name! If I am going through the trouble of making, baking, decorating, and packaging a few dozen cookies, then I want them to look their best. I have learned how to do that over the years, and it involves a lot of equipment and steps. But I can still perfect it, and I can still be thrown a random curveball.

    I am sure delicious

    They really are, which is why I won't flood them. I love sugar cookies, and this has a combo of vanilla and just a soupcon of almond that I love

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals