Software
Houzz Logo Print
salonva

Ceiling Medallion ?

yesterday

I need to move my dining room chandelier as it's off center with the way I have the room arranged. It's only about 6 or 8 inches, but enough to need the move. ( will also be installing a new chandelier). The room is small. This is a nice townhouse in a very nice area. The dining room adjoings the living room (knd of one big open room).

I was thinking that since the ceiling would have to be repaired, maybe a simpler ceiling medallion would work- add interest, and fix the need to repair the ceiling.

I ran it by my friendly chatgpt who seemed to think it was a good option. Now obviously there are many ornate medallions and I am not thinking of those.

I was thinking more along the lines of Embry -but then I saw these 2 others. What do you think?


Berkshire a bit more ornate

Embry a bit more sleek?

Locke- also nice


I kind of thnk this is a small nice finishing touch, but wonder if it is out of place and I should just know the ceiling will need to be repaired.


Curious if anyone has used a ceiling medallion and what do you think?


Comments (14)

  • yesterday

    Context is key. Post up pics of your room as trhat is the best way to make a fianl choice.

    salonva thanked millworkman
  • yesterday

    Pics needed and do you really need a ceiling medallion.

    salonva thanked shirlpp
  • PRO
    yesterday

    chatbot not a designer and for sure not the last voice . We need to see the space and also the chandelier and the medallion that is how you get REAL advice from REAL people . Also post pics of all these choices too. Use comments for all the pics DO NOT start another post


    salonva thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • yesterday

    IMO, the medallion will be too close to the chandelier, and will look awkward. I vote for just repairing the ceiling.

    salonva thanked woodrose77
  • yesterday

    Ok- I kind of knew that I needed to post pix. I am a very poor photographer but these are probably fine for sharing.



    This is the white thing with the cute dog on it for photo tax

    view from living room



    and now the 2 of the countless chandeliers I have considered for longer than I would care to admit...



    26 inches Darryn


    and this below is also 26 inches . This also shows without shades and each version is appealing to me.

    The room is roughly 14 by 10, table is 40 by 62 as photographed which is without any leaves.


    I also did consider this which I like, but I don't know if it's too modern and also not sure about the lucite on the candles. Jonathan. 39 inches wide....

    ok Ihink I'm finally done sharing. Opine away. thank you

  • yesterday

    Woodrow, the medallions come one or 2pieces and chandelier sits  In thei middle  .

  • yesterday

    I don't think it calls for a medallion ... you just need a good plaster guy to make the ceiling look perfect again after you move the electrical box.

    salonva thanked chispa
  • yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

    Not a pro... but I like both of those chandeliers, and think either would look very nice, and good on you for moving it, I find swaging really unattractive. Hope you post pictures when finished, you have a lovely space.

    salonva thanked doods
  • PRO
    yesterday

    Or do a linear chandelier that actually lights the table and no need for electrical work or ceiling. I never understand chandeliers that light the ceiling at least those mostly light the table I think.

    salonva thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

    I have chandelier that would supposidly light the ceiling but have no problem with it, because it lights the table as well, and there is also soft light coming from other areas in the room in an open kitchen, dining, living area. It is also on a dimmer which we always use, no need for it to be up on high. So I feel it works for us.

    salonva thanked doods
  • yesterday

    Doods, I find the same even with the smaller builder grade light we currently have- we use the dimmer often.

    This was helpful. No one seems to think the medalion is warranted. It was just a passing thought and I figured I'd run it by the houzz crowd. Thanks for the helpful and nice comments. Also, I think autocorrect changed woodrose to woodrow lol.

  • yesterday

    Dining room ceiling here too and the medallion changed the whole room for me. mine came a size too small at first and it looked lost up there, had to swap it. what fixture are you pairing it with, rule i learned is the medallion needs to run wider than the fixture base.

  • PRO
    19 hours ago

    If you do install a medallion could you find one that has a profile similar to your crown moulding?