Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellerj

propane vs. gas heating for cooktop.

kellerj
10 years ago
I'm trying to get gas at our new construction. I was just wondering if propane would work just as well on a cooktop or should I just go with an electric cooktop if I can't get gas.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Propane works just as well as gas but allocating a space for the propane tank would be needed.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    10 years ago
    Propane burns a bit hotter than natural gas, requires all appliances be set up for it and if used for furnaces or water heaters, needs a drain to daylight ... Liquid propane is liquid in bulk, heavier than air and can pool in a room until it's level reaches an ignition point...kaboom. Proper planning eliminates risk! Laying in a gas main for a single dwelling, like it is not on your street but two over, would be financially challenging for most people. Propane tanks can be buried, screened, fenced and painted to minimize their presence. If you are used to gas for cooking, propane is a good alternative.
  • kellerj
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I read a review on a gas stove and someone was complaining because they have propane and they said it burns differently. I was wondering if this was really true.
  • pspilker
    9 years ago
    I am moving to an area where they have no natural gas and would like to use propane if possible but have heard a lot of negative things about propane. This is the most recent review I have read. Does anyone have any recent experience with propane?

The range is advertised as being able to be converted to LP gas but that, seemingly, is not the case. Yes, the LP orifice kit does come with the range, but no, the range doesn't work properly on LP gas. To begin with, the small non-convection oven does not heat evenly but has "hot spots". In cooking a pizza, for example, one side will be burnt and the other fairly raw. I scheduled a service call which improved the uneven heating somewhat, but didn't fix it. The explanation was that the range was designed for natural gas, not LP, and the required difference in gas pressure (4" of water for NG; 11" of water for LP) was at the root of the problem - A design problem they couldn't fix. This same problem appears with the burners, as there is virtually no difference in the flame/temperature in the range from "Super Boil" through medium. Only after you set it below medium can you get any flame and/or temperature adjustment. Also, you can forget about simmering anything less than about 1/2 gallon on any of the burners other than the one simmer burner as, at the minimum setting, the flame is just too high and hot. Very disappointing and not particularly well made. Range top is simply folded steel without the back corners being finished, leaving holes where the metal is bent. The rear panel is also slightly curved so it does not fit flush against the wall. The center touches, but the two ends are about 1/8" away from the wall. Not pretty. On the bright side, the convection oven works flawlessly.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    We use propane. We have no issues. Likewise, no issues with natural gas in my past residences. But to ensure safety one should periodically do the soap test on all connections to ensure no leakage of gas. I never cooked with an electric stove or oven, so i can't comment there
  • pspilker
    9 years ago
    Thanks! I have always used natural gas in the past but I am moving to an area with only propane available and I have read a lot of negative comments on line about its use. I appreciate your feedback.