Software
Houzz Logo Print
ania756

Front door color dilemma

13 years ago
Hi all, I was wondering if you can give me any advice as to what color door to pick. I copied and pasted the door I like to the picture of our house, but I'm not crazy about how the the dark wood looks with our house. Someone suggested black door. What do you think? The siding is light blue and the window trim is white. Roof shingles are grey. Thank you so much for your ideas:)

Comments (116)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    You're welcome. To add to my examples-this is really pricey, but this is a pretty good representation of the door I was talking about on my friend's "ancestral" home, except it just has a plain glass insert.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321214218888&item=321214218888&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466
    Just wondering, but have you looked at any doors at any antique shops. or second hand shops-like Habitat for Humanity-for a door that might suit you? I know that you are looking for the sidelights, too. You never know. ")
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I'm loving door 2!!! It looks as though it was custom made for you home, featuring muntins to their best advantage. Door 1 would be my second choice! It echos the window at the gable, and 3 is dead last, a dime a dozen. Someone has a green thumb, your landscaping is beautiful!
  • 13 years ago
    I'm not a fan of the door but if you love it then you should go with it. The diamonds do clash a bit with the square windows, and you could tie it in by painting the lovely warm wood to the same shade of white window trim. It stands out also because the lighting of the cutout door is different to the lighting of the house photo - this obviously won't be an issue when the real door is in. The house frontage as a whole seems to be missing something and I think it needs a little bit of lacework/fretwork around the verandah eaves.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Your 20 hours behind us rach71
  • 13 years ago
    I really like the second door of the three you posted. Top right. Looks like it is made for your home and imagine all the light streaming in through those windows :-)
  • 13 years ago
    Margo.... guess what.... I have a Dutch door too :-)
  • 13 years ago
    I like Door #2 of your last post, too, Ania - how the squares are consistent with your windows but it will still let in a lot of light to your dark foyer. Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    Matt black
  • 13 years ago
    So do you all like door #2from the last post better than this one which is still very close to my heart?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    2, 1, 3 - #2 would be Soo perfect with a bit of an arch, even it it was just angled side lites.
    I do think you have to go with what speaks to YOU though.
    I wasn't even looking for doors when I found one I loved. I loved it so much I special ordered 3 of them so when I finally got my house built they would be ready for the front, back and my office!
    Today- they are getting installed!!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    that is...matte black. I think you should do exactly what you want to do with your door... don't listen to any of us.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with Sustainable- your door, do what speaks to you, you should not make your door choice from a handful of people you never met. Good to get ideas but the final choice should be your gut feeling.
  • 13 years ago
    Well my gut feeling let me down before when we painted our house, I picked all the colors thinking they are all so different and now our house is all yellow inside and you can't tell the difference. As I said I'm definitely design challenged:(
  • 13 years ago
    Well, perhaps you should go with the majority of those on here. Your husband also thinks the door we like is to busy too.
  • 13 years ago
    Definitely door 2 of your recent options as the others have suggested. Seeing more photos of your house and now knowing it's not a period Victorian further reinforces that for me. While an ornate door might be ok for a period home with that type of detail I fear that on a newer and more simple home it will just look old fashioned (not in a good way).
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    We love our (Barrington Craftsman) front door and the transom we have looks like it would blend and match your windows very nicely . It can be painted any color or shade of brown you want - just a thought
  • 13 years ago
    I vote follow your heart and forget about the other choices - but paint it charcoal or matte black ;)
  • 13 years ago
    LOL centaurita- what if in her heart she wants it the stained wood?
  • 13 years ago
    Go with what you like best. Maybe this helps, I painted them both Sherwin-Williams Naval:
  • 13 years ago
    Sorry that they don't enlarge... :-(
  • 13 years ago
    Margo, then her heart would be soooo wrong ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    Love that color, carolins. :)
  • 13 years ago
    Hahaha, you two. :D
  • 13 years ago
    I am often told that all my taste is in my mouth, but I like door 2.
  • 13 years ago
    LoL Margo - My name is Margo-- Now I know who got the username first :) Good to see my namesake on Houzz has a great sense of humor!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi guys. Chipping in late in the day but definitely door number 2 (from the selection of three). The square glazed sections echo your windows and look elegant.
  • 13 years ago
    Centaurita- glad to meet another Margo, not many of us. If you would prefer your name I sometimes go by the name Mango, I could change mine;)
  • 13 years ago
    LoL too funny Margo - I had a team jacket back in Jr. High school that was embroided with "Margo" and everyone thought it said Mango and that's what they started calling me =D
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Wow, that "mock up" really looks good, Carolins. I think that the detail on the door that ania756 and a few more of us like really draws the eye to the door, but in a good way. It makes it stand out. The other door, with the square panes, blends in, but that's just it-they just "blend" in with everything else.
    I agree with centaurita. You keep coming back to this, and it is your house. If you settle for something that you don't want, then you are going to be just as unhappy with the new door as you are with the current one. It's always a gamble when we pick something out, because we never know exactly what it will look like until its been installed. You want something with more detail, and I think that door that you, and several others here like seems to be a good compromise between getting the detail you want and still having some square shapes to tie to the other window style. It's not like you are putting a Louis XIV style on a Frank Lloyd Wright designed home. As has already been pointed out, you have a couple of other style features on the house besides the Victorian-the couple of Federal style windows, and the bay window with the French Country/Tudor style roof, which doesn't clash with the Victorian, as you can see old Victorians where they "borrowed" and blended in other styles, too. So, you already have a somewhat eclectic house going there, and that is why I don't, personally, see the problem in adding the door with a bit more detail on it. It's not what I think, or any one else, of course-its what make you feel good about your own house, and your husband, too, of course
    If it was in your budget, you could always add a row of the Victorian "gingerbread" trim across the front of the porch, since some seem to think that the door would look better if the house had more ornamentation.
  • 13 years ago
    centaurita/Margo/Mango- what part of the world do you live in?
  • 13 years ago
    Carolins both of the door in that color looks great. I will go on their website and try it too, so I can see a bigger picture. Great idea!!! Thank you!!
  • 13 years ago
    One thing that was something that the Victorians did do concerning their doors, and that was that they designed the doors to be so lovely because it was the entry-and, therefore, the first thing that a person was going to see up close-and you usually only get one shot at a good impression, so that was the purpose of the beautiful entryways and doors. So, its certainly is in the "spirit" of the original Victorian folks to create an impressive entry to one's home.
  • 13 years ago
    lucindalane- when house hunting and riding around to go to open houses, I would always look at the front door. Our last house we drove up and the first thing I said was "LOOK AT THE FRONT DOOR", we went in and did not leave the foyer and I said " we'll take it". Then I asked " how much". We bought it on the spot....the door rules!!
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, a snazzy front door certainly can get a person's attention-and definitely add to the looks of the house. Your experience shows just how important a door can be for curb appeal. Of course, I think ania756 just wants a new door for her own satisfaction of making her home more attractive right now.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Somehow this comment section seemed to have lost it's way and offered more advice than was asked.... Back to the color question you posted, my suggestion is you tie in the shingles and walkway and therefore go with black, a charcoal gray or a deep blue as suggested earlier. :-)
  • 13 years ago
    I really like the second door YOU found! Yes- it's not matchup matchup with your windows, but I think that's good. Too many squares on a plain square house is no good. Your first door was a definite no, but the second still has the linear lines that blend with the house, and then it adds some beauty and movement. I like it! You'll always come home to that square door and wonder if the pretty one would have looked prettier :)
  • 13 years ago
    Correction of auto-correct: It's not "matchy matchy".
  • 13 years ago
    And my comment comes from someone who loves Craftsman doors with square transoms and usually dislikes anything Victorian so it's not personal prejudice haha
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'd go with a darker color. I wouldn't use straight black - maybe a charcoal color. One of my favorite colors right now is urbane bronze by Sherwin. Goes with everything,
  • 13 years ago
    Sorry, joining in late. But I think the rest of the facade and the windows should be the guidance and all the options are too busy or ornate relative to the rest of the house. Prefer the simpler doors suggested by Mforr and Decoenthusiaste. Otherwise, do consider more ornamentation besides the door to dress up the house to complement the new door.
  • 13 years ago
    ; )
  • 12 years ago
    @ania756 Did you ever make a final decision? :) :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thank you everyone for all your input, feedback, and advice. It truly helped in deciding on a door. Here is what we decided on.

    P.S. This is Ania's husband Matt.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Door is a Pella Architect Series Entry Door. White aluminum clad, factory pre finished black/white exterior and Early American stained interior on oak grain panel. 3/4 light Juliet decorative glass with full sidelights. 3 point lock in bronze.
  • 12 years ago
    Looks lovely!
  • 12 years ago
    Here are a few more!! thanks everyone for your input!! This is the best website ever:)
  • 11 years ago
    what web site is this, Im looking to try some door styles on my home!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hi Joanna,
    I used Pella's website. You can creat your own door upturns under the design your own door section. Their you can select the colors you and features you like and then copy past it on to the pic of your home in paint. You could use any manufacturers website I'd imagine. Hope this helps.
  • 11 years ago
    Matt Thank you so much. I have been trying to decide on entry doors for a few years now. Therma tru Classic craft line is what I want, but trying to decide is probably one of the hardest things I have ever had to do! :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    That was the best possible choice !! I too go thru many many trials and thoughts but it's worth it when it's the RIGHT choice you end up with enjoy it!!