Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deborahsullinh

Selling My House: Staging Tips?

Deborah Sullivan
10 years ago
I recently put my house on the market, so far there are no nibbles. I am in a pretty good position as I do not need to sell, but I have decided that I want to downsize and also would prefer to be in a different town, closer to more of the activities I enjoy.

With all that said, once I finished dithering and decided to try and sell, I now want it done! I don't like this limbo feeling.

Any ideas of how I could stage my house a bit better would be appreciated. I am attaching some of the pictures from the listing. Not sure if matters, but I'm located in Southern New Hampshire.

-Debbie

Comments (19)

• Deborah Sullivan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Some more pictures.
  • Deborah Sullivan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    One more
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    The photos you presented are perfectly fine for selling the house. Agreed with adding some colors int he living room and bedroom.
  • meagan434
    10 years ago
    looks really good...only suggestions:

- make bed look like something out of pottery barn
    - remove family room ottoman
    - remove step ladders in kitchen
    - add a cocktail like setting in the sun run

good luck!
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    You home looks pretty neat and tidy - not a lot of excess "stuff" around like a lot of pics we have seen.

The bed really needs to be worked on. Buy a new set that you can take with you.

Lovely sun room. Take the drapes down from the kitchen to sun room.
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    Great advice from klfisch...especially regarding having new pics taken by realtor after you make those minor changes. Very little money needs to be spent...just time.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Sun room very nice. Open all panels on windows let the light in. Bring chair in living rm up to sofa area. Open that shade 1/3 up. Kitchen is good add 2 inexpensive bar stools to counter. People love seating. In bedroom tuck your comforter in all the way around. Fold back at top 1/4 dn add toss pillows in a red. Get a red throw for foot of bed. If you have a bench place at foot of bed. You could get a bigger lamp for night stand. Open windows burn candles in bathrm and kitchen. Have music playing. All lights turned on. Remove all clutter like ladders, and calendar on wall. Remove family pictures. Remove items from firepl. Put black ottoman under window. Put that small table by chair in front of sofa to the side. Have a bottle of wine and a glass sitting on it. Add nice bowl of fruit like green apples on table in dining. Add a fur brown throw to sofa. It's very clean, that is a good thing.
  • janeinfo
    10 years ago
    I want to chime in here. My husband and I have sold 3 houses in 3 states. We have owned 4. The first one, we made sure our home was clean and well maintained. It took 6 months to sell in a pretty decent market. After that, the company my husband worked for transferred us and brought in an expert on staging homes. She told us to take down ALL family photos first thing. Then, take at least 1/3 of everything out of each room. It seemed empty to us, but we did as she said. We were also told to interview at least 5 different realtors. We were moving along with 60 other families to another state. The market was flooded with "For Sale" signs. We had 3 offers before noon on the first day. Got above asking price. Our last house we sold was just two years ago in October. (A month when realtors told us it would probably take 90 days to sell our home in the then-current market). We applied the advice we got from the home sale before and our home had two offers the first day and sold in 5 days with an almost asking-price offer. I am telling you this story to say we got GREAT advice from a home stager. It has been our experience they know what they are talking about. It still seems like our homes were empty, but so far, that home stager is 2 for 2. Good Luck!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    After you make changes have realtor taken new pics. People look on Internet at pictures if not staged people won't call. Make sure your realtor has it priced right see comp for your area. If on the market for a long time might need to find a more aggressive realtor.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Living room: remove EVERYTHING but the sofa, rug and put the dark painting over the sofa.

Kitchen: remove EVERYTHING.

Bedroom: remove curtains. Find better bedding.

Porch: remove coffee table and all the pillows.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I have worked as a stager and worked on model homes for builders. Window treatment is important. Go neutral, but spend some money. If a single family house make sure it has curb appeal . So invest in that too. Believe me any furn you buy goes with you. And any monies on flowers and paint are returned in monies you get for house.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Lots of great advice here!

Your home looks clean and there's not a lot of clutter: awesome!

I would remove everything from on top of all cabinets .. box up all your knick knacks and remove from the house.

All else has been said .. good luck!
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    Get a fluffy comforter and place it in a duvet with 2 matching shams (get something you like cuz you will take it with you) and make bed like this.
    Sheet and top blanket tucked in tight and near under mattress.
    Duvet folded at foot of bed.
    Keep A couple long lasting flowers in a small vase on night stand.
    http://houzz.com/photos/49303
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    And don't forget the front door area. Potential buyers often do a drive by before deciding if they want to see inside.
    Of there is a garage, clean it now, don't wait until the sale. Get rid of anything you don't want to take with you. Store everything else neatly on shelves.
    Don't forget your closets and cabinets, people look everywhere.
  • bschr
    10 years ago
    I couldn't help but notice you have a few air conditioners in you home. Do you need the old one by the sliding glass door? I'm sure it's a bit of work to remove but it appears that you have a new one next to it.
  • PRO
    Panache Interior Design
    10 years ago
    Did you have any luck selling your home after getting all those great suggestions?