Software
Houzz Logo Print
twinger1

Lighting Help

12 years ago
My parents are in the process of renovating their house (so please excuse the mess in the picture) and need help in figuring out the best lights to add to their front entry. As you can see, the lights they currently have hang down and are right out of 1984 when the house was built. Does anyone have any great lights they have seen for a room like their front entry? Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Comments (16)

  • 12 years ago
    It depends on their décor preference, but an oil-rubbed bronze would go well with the dark wood accents. Keep in mind that they do not have to be exactly the same, but should be of the same style. I would make the one to the rear larger and hang it higher than the one in the foreground. I don't think two fixtures the same size compliments the room. Here is one style that you may like:
    Tim Winger thanked Scott Skinner
  • 12 years ago
    The "builder's special" fixture upstairs should be changed too. What is their furnishing style, as the foyer serves to introduce the adjoining rooms as well as the owner's personality.
    Tim Winger thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Here are a few you might like:
    Tim Winger thanked LBC Lighting
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It looks like a traditional space with modern *too small* lights.... I would strike a balance with a nice looking chandelier... the ones above look awfully casual to me.
    Tim Winger thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Why don't you make the space transitional and bring in some great stained glass lighting from Light In Art. Visit our website at www.lightinart.com I attached some pictures of some options that can work.
    Tim Winger thanked Light In Art
  • 12 years ago
    Their home is a traditional home with a combination of antiques and traditional furniture. If I were decorating it for myself I would love the Light In Art lamps but I don't know if I could convince my parents to use them. I know they need something easy to clean as they don't want to have to climb on ladders all the time to dust. Perhaps, as suggested, we do a large light and a few smaller ones. Also, I like the idea of fixing the "builder's special" light at the top hallway. It really will help brighten things up and make the house entry more presentable.
  • 12 years ago
    I think the can lighting upstairs is great along with possibly going with one really large lamp. I also see what you mean about painting the vent cover to help it "vanish" into the wall. Thanks!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    We custom make gorgeous fused and blown glass lighting that will bring you straight into modern times :) We can make them as large or as small as needed for your space. I highly recommend our Kadur or Mod pendants which can add an element of modern character and without being overbearing with too much color.
    Tim Winger thanked Shakuff
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I love the dark wood on the stairs and railing!!! I would pull from this darker tone and hang one larger chandelier that fills the space better. I agree with staying more traditional. Here are two chandeliers that I feel give a nice look!
    Let us know if you have any questions?

    Lamp & Shade Works
    Tim Winger thanked Lamp & Shade Works
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    My choices were based on the simple Colonial vibe I'm seeing in the balustrade, but your personal style might lead you in another direction.
    Tim Winger thanked LBC Lighting
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with decoenthusiaste. Two fixtures so close together would compete too much. Change one to a can light and a grand fixture for the foyer/entry area. Do they have a budget for the fixture in mind? I am also thinking oil rubbed bronze or vintage rust?
    Tim Winger thanked Whispar Design
  • 12 years ago
    Oil rubbed bronze or vintage rust would blend in well. I sent some of these ideas off to my parents to look at and will see what kind of response I get. Thanks everyone!
  • 12 years ago
    Love the first one decoenthusiaste suggested!
    Tim Winger thanked ajj
  • 12 years ago
    I'd replace the left one with clean minimalist track lighting and change out the main entry one with caged chandelier. I like the clean modern influence on this one because it is updated but still works with the more traditional elements of the space.
    Tim Winger thanked Amy Cali
  • 12 years ago
    Hmmm... Amy, I never considered this approach but will float it by them. Thanks for the suggestion.