Software
Houzz Logo Print
harcarkiss

Gas range too deep for space. Afraid it will stick out from cabinets

12 years ago
I need to replace my old stove which is 25" deep - standard I thought. Everything I'm finding is at least 27"- 28", which means it would stick out 2-3" from my cabinets. Has anyone run into this problem and if so, how did you solve it??
Thanks!

Comments (21)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Typical base cabinets are 24" deep, it depends on the style of stove you are looking at.
    harcarkiss thanked Dytecture
  • 12 years ago
    I was looking for a gas range with 5 burners and convection oven but it seems most are over 27 inches. I guess I'm looking for an opinion on what it would look like having the stove stick out over 3 inches from the cabinets. I have 2 single built-in cabinets on either side of the stove with a 30" opening.
  • 12 years ago
    I've seen this handled with custom cabinets that are mostly 24" deep but curve or angle out over maybe 6"-12" of width to be flush with the stove front. You've really got to do something...can't just have the stove sticking out, it would look awkward and potentially be a hip banger/spill magnet too. I'd ask the kitchen designer and/or really good GC for ideas on this, it is their bread and butter to address these problems.
    harcarkiss thanked qam999
  • 12 years ago
    I just redid my kitchen a few years ago so I'm not looking to change the cabinets
  • 12 years ago
    Just to make sure an obvious issue isn't being overlooked are you taking the door, etc into consideration? The range does stick out a little bit.
    San Jose Res 2 · More Info

    Back Bay · More Info
    harcarkiss thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Our range has three different relevant measurements: The front overhang above where the knobs sit is 27" deep, the panel with the knobs and front of the oven door are 26" and the sides are 25". So with 24" cabinets it would have stuck out only 1" on the sides and 3" at the overhang. Although we ended up building custom 25" deep cabinets, so they are flush with the sides, the front overhand still sticks out 2" past the cabinetry (and 1" past the countertops). This is very normal, as you can see in sam's photos above (ours looks like the first photo).
    harcarkiss thanked feeny
  • 12 years ago
    @sam0705 - Thanks - I see your point. The stoves look fine in the photos you posted.
    @feeny - Thanks for the reassurance. I figured it had to be common for it to hang over somewhat.
  • 9 years ago

    my stove is too deep because of a pipe I am not allowed to move in my building. any thoughts on how to fix as it's a tiny, galley kitchen? I have the most shallow depth slide-in range available.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    An experienced plumber can move the pipe.

  • 9 years ago

    Trixie B, what range do you have? I'm shopping for super shallow. Thanks!!

  • 8 years ago
    I wish I would have researched or someone would have told me that my slide in range would stand 3 inches( including doors) from the cabinets . I hate it! Makes my kitchen look cheap !
  • 8 years ago

    Penelope, Thanks for this comment! I thought I was bonkers. Problem is that my budget can't handle the Wolf, Thermador or Vikings that are shallower and the Bosch is getting terrible reviews once it's installed.


  • 7 years ago

    Just bought the LG and it sticks out 3 inches from the cabinets and enough to stop an adjacent drawer and cupboard from opening. I echo the question, what the heck is wrong with these manufacturers? The counter depth refrigerators are popular now but the slide in stove is a ridiculous beast. Any other moderately priced brands out there?

  • 7 years ago

    I'm having this issue now. I guess I will hold on to my old appliances until I find something. my dept is 24.5 inches but all of the affordable options are 26 3/4 inches minimum before even adding the handle!

  • 4 years ago

    I know this may sound like a strange idea but a gas cook top with a wall oven below solves problem of it sticking out while keeping function. Judt a thought 😊

  • 4 years ago



  • 4 years ago

    @meganburke Absolutely! But I moved in to a flipped house and they had already cut the granite for a slide in range. I didn’t have budget to replace the entire countertop. It’s still not right and annoys me every day.

  • 4 years ago

    What did you do???

  • 4 years ago

    I'm having the same issue. Not just the depth but also these ginormous handles! What ever happened to sleek/stylish? And it's not just ranges. Designers and manufacturers have completely missed the mark when it comes to countertop toaster ovens. Those used to be small/compact. Now they take up far too much room on the counter.

  • last year

    I've considered bumping out the cabinets using 1 1/2 inch thick strips attached to the wall- to increase the cabinet depth to 25 1/2 inches, it will keep the difference in depths from being too much of an annoyance- counter tops are not measured yet-BUT I like the wall oven idea!