Software
Houzz Logo Print
mkhodges

Need help with curtains for this room.

12 years ago
This is my combo sun room/breakfast room. Not formal and it is open to a larger den. There is a step down from den into sunroom. I would like to leave the wooden blinds in place and cover the least amount of window as possible. The curtains will never be closed as I want as much light as possible but feel I need softness for the blinds. None of the distances between windows are exactly the same. The wall color....does not show well in photo....is BM northern cliffs. Floor is travertine. Den area same color walls with lots of white trim and book cases. I'm thinking simple floor to ceiling panels....linen like....biggest question is what kind of rods and where to hang so that the drapes cover very little of window yet look full enough. Photos from two angles.....three sets of windows.

Comments (9)

  • 12 years ago
    Oops.....sorry....hope it works this time.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi there, your room actually looks great as is, but I can see where adding panels will give it another layer of texture and, as you say, softness. Yes, just simple,white cotton panels and on a black rod with curtain rings for a nice, modern look. The ones below,are,from Pottery Barn but you can get them almost anywhere.

    I think you will have to hang one continuous rod all across the room, and then hang a panel in between each window. Don't worry about the uneven distances between windows - you can adjust for that with the panels. You may have to special order the rod through a drapery store - it looks like a wide room.

    Very pretty space - love it!
  • 12 years ago
    You may go for such designs...they look full enough and still you can have the outside view too
  • 12 years ago
    What karemore55 said is good, I had that with cream drapes and looked lovely.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like what karen suggested with stationary panels. The windows themselves are part of what makes this a great space. Here is a rendering to help visualize stationary panels between your windows as suggested. The cornice units have a rod inside if you didn't want to run a rod down the length of the wall. Fantastic job on the space!
  • 12 years ago
    Wow...it does help to see it! Thanks to all of you.
    I never thought about cornices....but had thought of the short rods which I call dummy rods. I dont usually like those but this might be an appropriate use of them. I will price compare those two things.
    Karemore....I priced the one long continuous rod....pretty expensive...but since the hardest decision (for me) is getting the style of hardware right, the height, the placement, etc....I will pay more if that seems to be the best solution. If I can get the hardware...whatever it ends up to be...installed, I plan to sew the panels myself. I've done that before.

    Is this a case where rods or cornices should be hung just above window trim as opposed to right under crown? There is a pair of French doors same height as windows just to the right. Doors do not have blinds and I don't plan any covering at all there.
  • 12 years ago
    Oh wow, Whispar Design - lovely cornices! I like how they relate to the crown molding. Mk, your decision about cornices vs. A simple rod will probably be the degree of formality you would like for this space.

    Yes, since you have little space between top of windows and crown molding, I would go with top of windows - especially since you pointed out the patio doors to the right. It would be best to keep that horizontal line going. You have a good eye!
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you, Karemore. I must say that I learned that very recently....guess where...here on Houzz! For all my many home making years....I never thought about things like that! But there would always be something a "little off" about my decorating attempts. These tips and ideas DO make a difference. Thank you.