Software
Houzz Logo Print
truefreedom

Help with decoration wall with floating shelves

12 years ago
The horizontal lines represent drawn in floating shelves 31 inch via Photoshop. Anyone able to help with a design question. I am wanting to put floating shelves along this wall but my designer stated I should have bought a longer entertainment cabinet that went from wall to wall. She is probably correct but that is not what was done and now I am trying to make good on still putting in floating shelves. I am also going to put recessed into the shelves short strips of led lights to project onto the elements planned for the shelves. Any thoughts on number and configuration of shelves. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated since my decorator would prefer me put in ladders flanking the tv but I can't see the ladders providing lighting benefits and the lower run of the ladder would be blocked from view by the chairs. Thank you for any advise you can provide. ... Ken

Comments (31)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'm glad you didn't go for the media cab that filled the entire wall. However, I think your floating shelves are going to look busy. Even empty they look busy. I could see a bamboo ladder on each side painted high gloss black, with nothing on it.
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    Asian bathroom · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    What about doing pictures?
    Sunset Stream · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    On second thought, I might paint those ladders shocking pink!
  • 12 years ago
    the space is filled adequately with the TV and media cabinet. skip the floating shelves -- nothing else is needed.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your comments. If I leave it blank, it just does not look or feel warm with an inviting appeal. Just not feeling it
  • 12 years ago
    Ok... Leave the floating shelf on bottom left and middle right... The three dimensional element along with asymmetrical placement will add interest which is what I assume you are after. On the left side, add a tall plant, perhaps an orchid, a small box object, then hang a watercolor closer to the TV with frame above TV height. On right side, hang a whimsical mirror under the shelf to the right of its edge. Hang two tiny framed photographs above the shelf and then a quirky tall object on the right end of the shelf... This will actually seem symmetrical to the plant. Hope it gives you ideas!
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you Carolyn for your second thought :) not that adventuresome with shocking pink. The chairs in front may look like they have a subtle pink to them / or not but the chairs are light brown and black.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Brenda but looking forward to adding some accent lighting along this wall and believe the floating shelve (FS) will add the vehicle to allow delivery of such lighting. Just need to be confident that before I drill into the wall that placement and frequency of FS provides is not tacky, etc. again looking for that cozy yet sophisticated look.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Why don't you add a textured panel on each side of the TV and then add 3 shelves like this in the photo;)
    Big Island ocrean front residence · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Ah well, an errant thought was all that was, but the bamboo ladders were an excellent thought on the part of your designer! It was a brilliant idea which I am sure I shall copy and which I hope you will use. It will be interesting, unusual and perfect for your situation, and that's what you pay a good designer for, so please do as your designer directed!
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you Christy, I am trying to process your recommendations. Unfortunately I need to get a good visual going before I can commit. My issue but thanks again... Ken
  • 12 years ago
    Carolyn, my concern with the ladder(s) is twofold 1. the lower rungs will be mostly hidden due to the chairs and 2 integrating some led lighting since I have only seen ladder shelving that is relatively thin 1/8 and difficult to conceal wiring. Battery operated not an option... Looking for less maintenance at my more mature age :). Thanks again
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you Janeinfo... Pictures are a must for sure but was looking at putting a few on the FS's. This room has lots of wall space with that which is in the picture as well as 4 more segments approx 7 ft each along the long walls to the left and right of this image.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm going to push for the bamboo ladders too. Add plants (fern, pony tail palm) in baskets on the floor where the "hidden" rungs are, and use LED uplights to cast beautiful shadows of the plant foliage on the ceiling when TV is on. If you can't maintain live plants there are plenty of faux ones that will work as well.
    Newport Beach Custom Home 01 · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Yep, decoenthusiaste has some great ideas there with adding plants, faux or real!
  • 12 years ago
    Another motivating direction for me to consider. I was originally thinking of some design element flanking the entertainment cabinet.. Ie 3 tall vases, or birch trunks, etc in conjunction with the shelves but what if , like decoenthusiaste recommends we put the plant to the left and, dare I say, - 2 shelves on the right. Sounds like I should drop the shelf idea, but they look so good in many of the pics I see on house. Ummmm
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You/re right truefreedom, they look great in some of the photos, but can tend to look cluttered. The ladders are super cool!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Before you go to too much expense, buy a can of very dark paint, and paint the wall. Try Benjamin Moore Deep Caviar for instance. The tv and the shelves will "blend in", and the tv picture will be easier on the eye without all the peripheral distraction. Enjoy!
  • 12 years ago
    what have you decided to do truefreedom?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    In rereading Lori's idea this morning of an almost black paint on the TV wall, it makes sense.
    What I don't like about the shelves is how stand out so starkly against the background. In the photo posted by Margo above, the light colored shelves blend with the background and looked quite nice. So Lori's approach would achieve much the same effect, though in reverse, all dark instead of light.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Go black - perfect! Can't even see the TV here!
  • 12 years ago
    i like the shelves you've got PS'd in.
    i don't think it looks busy, but i'd be very careful about what i put on those shelves, to keep it open and uncluttered.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks everyone and yes, the plan is to go large and uncluttered with the shelved objects. Don't think I could chance on black since it's the whole wall since there are no windows here. Could put light accents but I am certain my wife would through me out if I went black. Have not made any concrete decisions yet but you nice folks will be the 1st to see the pics when done. Do like the idea of the fern with upshot lighting in one of the corners but our decorator says live fake plants are out(could be regional opinion.. I think) . Anyways still in the works.
  • 12 years ago
    Just lean black and white pictures in black frames. Of land scrapes. Ikea has some just one each shelve.
  • 12 years ago
    Love your chairs. Nice room.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks travisinteriors.
    Finished putting up 4-2 ft led strip lite shelves a month ago. Lights are controlled by a 100 watt transformer mounted under the wall between the joists in a drop ceiling finished base,mention. Transformer is controlled by a lutron dimmer. Will have a pic as soon as finished... Going to purchase an indoor palm tree for the left corner and a round vase for it as well as a led light to uplight the tree to cast leaf shadows on the ceiling and wall. Works in progress.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry it took so long to post the end result, but here it is for better or for worst. We are happy with how the final appearance of the wall turned out. I hope this perspective helps others determine if it will work or not for them, if and when they get into a similar situation. Comments and constructive criticism welcome. /Ken
  • 12 years ago
    Nice job- specially with the lighting. The plant looks a little cramped, I would swap it for a funky arc lamp
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks and the funky lamp idea is great, however I would use it at the other end of the room if the wife was a bit more open to funkiness...... Anyhow, yes a bit crowded but I am liking the defined shadows the plant creates and it doesn't get in anyone's way. Could use a tall window on that wall to provide natural light for the palm since that end doesn't get much natural light.
    The shelf lighting, I did with 12 volt 3k led strip light and the tree light with same 12 volt power adapter but using a 9 watt led spot light bought online and a metal tube housing bought from Home Depot for 5.99. . Not sure why it was on sale but it came with halogen and I just swapped it out. All lighting on dimmer and this allows to set the mood just right.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I would make them line up exact on each side...and make them have a little more room in between the first top two...then less room for the bottom one...I would use the bottom one for decorative books and such and larger items on the top two shelves.