Software
Houzz Logo Print
amolika_desai

Living room feedback!!!

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
Hello! Thanks to all who've helped me put my living room together. This is what I've come up with so far. Does it look complete or do i need to add anything? My husband and i disagree but i feel like we need some side tables and some more stuff around the room. Pls let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Comments (18)

  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    One more picture
  • 12 years ago
    claudiann (pretty name!) is right, the curtains look nqr - maybe you just need to line them with a heavier fabric, though?
    A D thanked bubblyjock
  • 12 years ago
    You're doing very well with the overall look, although I'm not a fan of the matched tables, lamps and pictures facing each other across the room. That said, I could see them flanking the entry doors in the foyer or, if there is an angled wall on the left side of the entry as on the right, I'd place them there. Right now, they are just too far apart to accomplish the desired look of a "pair." You have nothing visually weighty and tall to counter balance the heft and volume of the FP. I also feel the angled wall behind the two chairs on the entry side of the space needs something. If the two long tables mentioned above can't be used there as a pair flanking the entry, you could put a tall glass display cabinet in that area. Fill it with something someone in the home collects, or start a collection. Move the coffee table 18" from the sofa and put two matched chairs facing each other over it, flanking the sofa. Take the other pair of chairs to the large slider/window and place them facing each other over a chess table for that chess set. Anxious to hear your reaction and whether some of my suggestions can be implemented, since I can't see some of the areas I discussed.
    Mandalay Chess Table · More Info

    Nickel Plated Iron with Bone Inlaid Chess Table · More Info
    A D thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you so much for all your suggestions. This is basically our formal living room and we would like it to be a functional room. I will try to move the furniture around as you suggested and hopefully that will make a difference....

    Also I'll try to add additional panels to make the windows look fuller. Quick question - In case I move out the console tables what do you suggest I put in that area?

    Thanks again!
  • 12 years ago
    One thing you might do is to pull the entire furniture arrangement back from the FP, so that it isn't the first thing seen when people come in the front door. Try moving the console tables and post a photo here - we'll try to tweak those into a perfect spot first, and then tackle the areas where they were. Since I haven't seen pix of the foyer or of the wall inside the room that is left of the foyer, I'll have to depend on your additional pix to help you decide. If you don't have actual furniture sliders, you can cut the bottoms off plastic milk or juice jugs to make your own. I look forward to seeing the "tweaks!" We might find a better place for the bench - if your FP is real, you don't want it in front of it when fire burning season starts.
  • 12 years ago
    For being a formal living room the furniture looks so comfy and cozy. Great choice on the sofa and chairs! I agree about pulling the furniture back from the fireplace and angling the chairs a bit so it's not so streamlined. As for side tables I'm personally a fan of a coffee table instead, so long as I can reach it to put a drink down. My husband prefers side tables, too. Maybe use the coffee table for the sofa and a side table between each set of chairs? I wouldn't buy anymore furniture until I finalized the layout.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think you could add more wall art. In your top picture I see one wall with no art at all. Is the light bright enough? Maybe floor lamps?
  • 12 years ago
    Like something like this side table from shades of light for between the chairs with a fun coffee table.
  • 12 years ago
    I like your coffee table! Where can I find it?( if u don't mind me asking:))
  • 12 years ago
    I'm not a designer, but I'm not sure I would put in too much more "stuff." Maybe one very small side table between the arm chairs. However, the blank walls are asking for some nice wall art. I would invest in some nice paintings or prints to fill up the visual space of the room and bring in some pops of color. There are a lot of neutrals in your room, which is great, but a few pops of an accent color would do it some good, I think.
  • 12 years ago
    Also, is that a clock in the fireplace? What is he doing in there, hehe.
  • 12 years ago
    ha...just noticed the clock...had placed it there while rearranging the mantel...rest assured it's gone now ;)
    Cher - the coffee table is pottery barn louisa.
    decoenthusiaste - i will do all the tweaks this weekend!

    Also I agree I need more art in the room. What kind do you recommend?

    Thanks again guys!
  • 12 years ago
    I like the art above your fireplace. More like that - just more color!
  • 12 years ago
    My two cents worth???? I LOVE your room and I would keep the chairs like they are since it's a formal living room. But what do I know....except your room is lovely:)
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for info
  • 12 years ago
    The room is beautiful, but a little subdued. Maybe some pretty color on a couple of cushions. Furnishings are gorgeous. The drapes may work better if you let them hang straight. Do you like greenery,how about something on the coffee table. Looks like a wall close to front door needs something, maybe art or large potted plant. Like the idea of small table between chairs, good for setting a drink.
    It's already beautiful, just needs a little tweaking. Love the floor treatment. Can you tell me how it was done.
  • 12 years ago
    I would try a much larger rug in rich tones - that all the furniture sits on completely. The tile makes the room a little "cold".