Software
Houzz Logo Print
inmaryland

Need kitchen backsplash ideas

12 years ago
I'm trying to work with the colors of my granite (previous owners choice, not mine :) for a mini kitchen makeover. I've tried to pick up on the gray and painted my cabinets to match, but I'm now trying having troubles picking out a backsplash. I'd love some input on the backsplash in the photo. I'm thinking it might be too busy and not a great match for the granite so other suggestions are welcome too! As a reference point, it's an L-shaped kitchen, with a row of creamy white closet doors opposite the kitchen cabinets.

Comments (39)

  • 12 years ago
    Way too busy. Have you thought about stainless steel tiles?
  • 12 years ago
    Too busy. Maybe a black or creme subway tile. Can we see the whole kitchen?
  • 12 years ago
    It is busy, I have stainless tiles they were in 15 years ago.... Not loving them anymore. Perhaps glass in a single tone from your granite.
  • 12 years ago
    No on backsplash you show. Way too busy go a stainless subway.
  • 12 years ago
    Use stainless light plates etc lowes carries.
  • 12 years ago
    Love the cabinets good job.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like the idea of glass tile, perhaps lt. grey, as shown above. If you liked, consider a randomized pattern that introduces either the cabinet or predominant counter color into the mix? Happy Houzzing.
  • 12 years ago
    Great color choice on the cabinets! I would do something very simple for the backsplash, Otherwise it will look too busy. Granite tends to be very busy looking anyways.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with above. I really like the look of glass subway tiles (and you can find them less expensively than your local tile store prices). But I had ordered some samples, thinking of doing that in my kitchen-- decided against it in the end (because of countertop choice)-- but I thought the look was very clean and offered this lovely light that was very uplifting-- and it would not compete with your granite. The samples I got were really nice subtle colors, but you would have no problem choosing a color that's in your granite and that would go well with the cabinets, too.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm not sure you really need to add a backsplash with your 4" backsplash granite there already. If you want to add something, how about just some pretty art or pretty plates? Or, you could install under the counter glass holders and hang colorful wine glasses.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Arizona Tile has a really nice glass mosaic called Soho Suede. I think it could pull those colors together
  • 12 years ago
    dclostboy, hit the hammer on the head. I think that is the perfect direction to go, it's simple, light and color and would balance the counter tops and cabintry out.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I do like the idea of a solid glass color. Now the question is which color? I've attached a couple of photos of the whole kitchen. Still need to change lights, put up drapes, larger table, rugs, and eventually get rid of the laminate flooring, but at least you can see the layout. Hard the wall paint color here, but it is BM revere pewter, cabinets are Kendall Charcoal, and trim/doors are Cloud white.
  • 12 years ago
    2x5 Ceramic Tile in Bronze or 1x1 slate mosaic
  • 12 years ago
    Go to modwalls.com and look at their choices. I really like their colors and find their products to be high quality...I used them in two bathrooms.
  • 12 years ago
    The problem with this kitchen is that the granite color does not blend with the gray cabinets.
  • 12 years ago
    Can you tell me what the pictured tile sample is in the original picture? I agree it is too busy for that counter but I rather like it as a possibility for when I redo my kitchen. (new everything so I could make sure the counter wasn't too busy for the backsplash.)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    @5casazz, I tend to agree with you about the cabinet color. At times, the gray looks too blue for my liking even though Kendall Charcoal looked like it would be a deep grey. Once they were up, I considered repainting them white to match the cupboard doors on the opposite wall. Any thoughts on a different cabinet color that might be a better match for the kitchen and granite?
  • 12 years ago
    Something like this color instead of grey cabinets, then maybe a gray backsplash would work instead? Or should I leave the gray cabinets and continue to work on just the backsplash?
  • 12 years ago
    You have to marry the granite and the cabinet colors, have you thought about just painting for now? Save some $$$ and evaluate for a while before setting permanent backsplash. Might be good idea to bring a decorator in for a consult.
  • 12 years ago
    Looking at the granite again, I hate to say it but it does not go with the gray cabinets. I think once you put the backsplash in, you will really notice the difference. I would say for now, don't rush getting a backsplash. I would change the granite if you really want to keep the gray cabinets and then get a new backsplash OR do stainless, less contrast with all the appliances too.
  • 12 years ago
    dclostboy nailed it ... go with cream/ivory glass tiles. Lowes is not carrying them.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    simplify.. How about a honed tumbled marble in a light beige.. That painting next to kitchen .. kind of clashes.. Anyone else feel the same
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would remove, or have a fabricator remove the granite backsplash. Otherwise the tile looks like an afterthought. The backsplash is only caulked in place, not hard seamed
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I was thinking about removing the granite backsplash. Good to know it won't be too hard to do.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would remove the backsplash first to see how much of a gap there is between the slab and the wall. This will determine how thick your tile needs to be. Usually the walls are not flat and a thicker tile will take up the space.
  • 12 years ago
    I probably wouldn't be bothered with a backsplash at all-- but I just wanted to say that I think the cabinet color and granite mesh really well. Maybe the photo is translating badly on some screens, but her choice of gray for the cabinets is a really smart one and (looking at my screen here) definitely pulls that color from the granite. And the wall color brings out the lighter tan tones. From my perspective, those are great choices.

    I also think if you're determined to do a backsplash, you should be able to put in anything you want. An excellent tiler can build out a wall (if necessary) to make any tile work-- seamlessly. Your labor costs might be more, but a really good tiler knows how to do that.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    dinahb is absolutely correct, anything can be corrected for a price. I find that change orders are received with about as much enthusiasm as a hold up though.
  • 12 years ago
    Norm Walters: I'm in an old house, where nothing is square or level. Fortunately, we have a great tiler who makes everything look all level and even-- an amazing feat, really. I've watched him work, and I'm in awe. Definitely drives up the labor costs, though.

    Sometimes I see what people want to change in some of these design "dilemmas," and I just think-- it's perfect as is (in this case, too), and if you've got the extra money to spend, just spend it on something else. :)
  • 12 years ago
    Hello---I suggest removing the 4" return before installing a backsplash.
    I like a linear glass tile for this space-one which incorporates both the warm and cool hues of your room. It could be installed horizontally or vertically.
    Of course the striped rug will need to go-a solid color would be best.
    Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    New hot tile, glass mosaic tile, glass tile COB0055 · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks again for all the helpful comments. Natalie and DirectBuy of Fort Worth, I like the colors you've chosen. They really do tie things together, but would they be too busy for the space? Maybe I should pick one color (light gray, taupe, or ivory) from these tiles as others suggested? Natalie, the color actually looks darker, but still a match when I click on the link you provided (see below).
  • 12 years ago
    It all depends on what you like, but IMO your granite and backsplash shouldn't compete for attention...simple, solid, beautiful.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    As I mentioned above, remove the 4" granite splash, add linear glass, and a solid rug... These changes will bring subtle pattern and integrate your colors without being overly busy.. CheerS!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    So many great ideas. I agree that the granite and cabinet colors don't match up smoothly. Adding a backsplash is the chance to make the transition more graceful. I think Norm's idea for removing the 4 inch granite backslash first, will not only make the separation cleaner, but give you more room to put in a treatment, be it anything from subway tile to a simple paint change, that accomplishes that. Darzy's idea about artwork, plates or wine glasses, is about as cost effective as anything and will add a certain warmth to your kitchen. Truly the possibilities are endless, and so many of these suggestions would be wonderful. I think in the end, maybe your budget should be your guide, since these suggestions run the whole gamut. Good luck, and enjoy!
  • 12 years ago
    Remove granite backsplash, yes. Then how are you going to handle the windows and the wall where the cabinets stop and the counter continues? You don't have a good wall layout for a backsplash. You're about to spend a lot of money and I don't think you're going to be happy with the finished look. Remove granite backsplash, repair drywall and paint the same color as the walls using enamel paint. Washes clean easily.
  • 12 years ago
    @leelee, I was thinking of just extending the backsplash even through it will go past the cabinets. Is that not recommended? Because the area for the backsplash is not that large (I estimate that I will need 25 sheets of tile), as long as I can keep the cost per sheet at around $10, it will be within my budget. This is assuming my husband and I can install ourselves (we are pretty handy). Anyone have experience doing it themselves? If not, we'll look at having it done for us.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    marble color will not blend while using the grey cupboards. You must get married to the marble plus the showcase colors.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi inmaryland,

    A quick note about our experience: Brigitte and I consistently design between 70-90 kitchens/year (for over 34 years) and have designed thousands of kitchens.....We also design full structural including below-grade foundation plans.....

    We have 2 Chicagoland locations and a Michigan location which cover the Wisconsin to Indiana borders, N.W. Indiana and S.W. Michigan.....

    Anyway, too much going on, especially with the old fashioned 4" backsplash because it's on the same visual "plane" as the new backsplash tiles will be.....It will make the difference/contrast that much more noticeable if it's done wrong!.....Don't want to look like we're in Disneyworld!.....

    Take a peek at our Pinterest "Backsplashes" board ( http://www.pinterest.com/windycityjohn/kitchen-backsplashes/) which shows around 40 recent kitchens we've done with different backsplash configurations.....Hope they give you some ideas!.....John & Brigitte
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting