Software
Houzz Logo Print
reumgirls

Layout ideas about long narrow familyroom

12 years ago
I need ideas about my family room. It was used to be two separate room but previous owner took the wall out. I actually like it but I don't know how to lay out furniture. Do you think big sectional would work?

Comments (24)

  • 12 years ago
    Also I'd like to change wall color. If you have any ideas please share with me.
  • 12 years ago
    Do you get sore necks watching tv and are those rugs working for you there?
  • 12 years ago
    I do have sore neck but we can't move TV down. I really want to move it in the middle.
  • 12 years ago
    I do need to change rugs. Too small right? Should I buy two similar ones? Since i haven't chosen wall color, I have no idea what color rug I buy.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Just brain storming: put tv where brown shelf is. But sofa left side of fire place facing shuttered windown and TV. Then put two chairs facing sofa.

    If you leave TV put. I think you need another chair in mirror image to your current chair.

    I think a larger rug is definitely needed for piano room.
    Moving piano right into the middle of the second room is worth considering Sort. I can't see a need for it to be pushed in the corner (is there?) . Sort of like making your piano the piece of sculture in the room. I feel like the style of chair next to piano is too informal or wrong style for rest of room.

    I think a warmer colour for tv room would be great. what colours are in the rugs?

    You have a great room and done well. I look forward to seeing the final product!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the advice. Rug color is basically beige. There is little dark brown ,olive and orange color. Should i choose one color from there? Somehow house looks very boring so I want to make the room more vivid.
  • 12 years ago
    what are your favourite vivid colours?
  • 12 years ago
    I am thinking I might buy this sectional. Too dark??
  • 12 years ago
    Which one is better?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Mid tones if you have kids and pets. Love the lighter one if just adults. Microsuede should be the highest quality you can find or you won't get much mileage out of it. Watch out for "big box" store sales staff who offer "sets" of matched stuff - a booger to work with and never very stylish - usually overstocked and not selling. Rarely advise buying matched coffee and end tables.
  • 12 years ago
    I rearranged furniture. How does it look??
  • 12 years ago
    More pics.
  • 12 years ago
    My husband hates the big mirror.
    Does it really look bad? We hung same size but different frame mirror in dining room.
  • 12 years ago
    I think the large mirror takes away from the piano being the focal point in that area. the picture leaning on the chest might look better there.
    Can you move shelf under TV to above the TV?
  • 12 years ago
    Have you tried switching the rugs?
  • 12 years ago
    The rugs are too heavy so I haven't done it before. I might as well try to switch them. Also I am planning to buy a bigger rug.
    Thanks.
  • 12 years ago
    Should I move the large mirror?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I only have a second, I got distracted by your question - when I was updating my Houzz account. Just a quick thought about the T.V. Why not simply set the T.V on the cabinet below it (in same location just remove the shelf below the T.V and place the T.V on the cabinet. Then reposition the shelf to go above the T.V ? Just a quick thought..looks like a fun room to rearrange.
    I would also suggest removing some of the smaller items - flowers by the fireplace, nicknacks and adding a few well selected larger items..also something on the coffee table (possibly a stack of coffee table books with a vase of fresh flowers)...you are doing great - well on your way to having a wonderful space to enjoy...have fun with it.
    Back to work.
  • 12 years ago
    Re: large mirror--how do you like it? I don't really think it adds to the room and if your husband dislikes it that much is it worth keeping in the room?
  • 12 years ago
    I like your current sofa.

    I think a sectional will be hard to work with if you ever get in the mood to change things up at bit at a later date.

    I agree with Marlene that the mirror takes away from piano. I find it's frame quite heavy, so sort of share your husband's perspective on it. I mean from the pictures it looks like you have a big nice open space so the mirror is less critical than in a small space perhaps.
    That's my two cents, but I'm not a designer whiz :)

    Do you use the fireplace?
  • 12 years ago
    decoenthusiaste--why stay away from black and brown sofas? (For my future reference)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Aside from some serious decluttering, the first thing I would have done is turn that piano around so the pianist is sitting under the starburst mirror and not with his/her back to the room.
  • 12 years ago
    Good idea!
    Another idea would be to turn the piano again but so that the player looks over the piano to the other room and presumably audience. (sort of where brown chair is)