Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeanniebalducci

Has anyone successfully tiled over a granite backsplash?

12 years ago
I know it seems like a crime, but our granite backsplash is too dark and busy along with granite countertops. There's no way to pull it off without damaging the upper cabinets and wall. I'd like to tile over it with light travertine subway tile. (I know we'll have to pull the electrical outlet boxes forward or replace them.)

Comments (26)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I am surprised you can't remove the backsplash without damaging the cabinets. Under cabinet mouldings can be unscrewed fairly easily . The wall of course could be damaged but that's not usually that big of a fix.
    Doing it right will actually save you time, money and effort. There really isn't a shortcut that will look good and last for more than a year in my opinion.
  • 12 years ago
    They're all asleep, Fred.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think they'll say gray paint Fred. And I'm pretty sure it will be some wild Rustoleum product. But seriously, tiling over stone cane be done if the stone is VERY secure to the substrate. Take a diamond wheel grinder to abraded the stone surface to achieve a bond with the modified thinset.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Why not consider some large piece or panel material that won't require adhering to the granite. I'm thinking STAINLESS STEEL, if that would work with your decor. It would also be thin and not require you to fuss with electrical outlets too much. There must be some other materials that could be put up in large panels...but nothing is coming to mind at the moment.
  • 12 years ago
    Copper? It's right on trend, but would it conduct electric from the outlet?
  • 12 years ago
    No more than the metal on the range, microwave, toaster, refrigerator, range hood, garbage disposal, light fixture, decorative outlet cover, ........
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    METAL BACK-SPLASH will not conduct electricity. Live wires are contained in box, wrapped, connected to switch or outlet not exposed to random contact. No different that a metal switch/outlet plate cover.
  • 12 years ago
    Hehehehehe! Another cover-up/electrocution/fire/disaster discussion! I'm in! :D
  • 12 years ago
    If you run an electric current through a metal pot with chowder in it, will the clams feel it?
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry, Jeannie. Sometimes certain topics cause excessive electrical brain stimuation in a select group of Houzzers :D
  • 12 years ago
    Fred, go to "where do I find quality bedding" and read everything. Having today off from Houzz, see ya happy, Fred and all.
  • 12 years ago
    Quick question, Chook - do you ever sleep? Isn't it like 5:30 am in Aussieland right now?
  • 12 years ago
    G'nite, chook :)
  • 12 years ago
    Ok, Fred.. It took me awhile, but I get it!!! :D G'nite to all from East Texas!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    How about pressed metal painted a light neutral colour?
    You can get so many patterns and then you just cut it and place...
  • 12 years ago
    Jeez Fred, I'm going to have to wear sneakers and rubber gloves just to microwave my dinner and do dishes
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Irornwood Builders has steered you in the right direction, you can tile over your existing granite backsplash with the proper surface prep. You do need to be thoughtful about exposed ends, etc- to make sure you have a graceful way of dealing with them. I would highly recommend leaving this project to the pros!
    Best of luck!
  • 12 years ago
    What did you end up doing?
  • 12 years ago
    We had a dark slab granite backsplash and my tile guy said we would cause damage to the cabinets if we tried to remove it. He installed our new glass tile right over our granite backsplash and it looks great!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Tiling over granite is no problem at all - not a bad surface to tile to.
  • 11 years ago
    Great. Now how did he to it?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    The tiler will know - or you can ask an adhesive company - usually just a case of scoring the granite first.
  • 11 years ago
    This is great info. One question. What do you use to score the existing granite back splash?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    You should be able to buy a tile scorer from a builders / tile shop - or you could use an angle grinder. All you need to do is break the surface (scratches) of the granite. Some people wouldnt even do that and it would still be ok. However I think it is worth doing , hope all goes well. Simon.
  • 7 years ago
    I know this post is from awhile ago, but anyone have before and after pictures of tiling over a granite backsplash? We need to do it in our kitchen too very soon
Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio