Software
Houzz Logo Print
mrsboughner

Blank canvas

12 years ago
Looking for wallpaper suggestions for empty space in dining room, wallpaper... Chairs...

Comments (24)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Are the colors that are in other parts of the house that you want to bring into the dining room?
  • 12 years ago
    I agree. Get a color palette in mind and go from there :)
  • 12 years ago
    Anchor the table with a rug 4 feet wider and longer than the top of it. That should be the base for your color palette. Paints these days are so wonderful - I'd prefer that over wallpaper. However, there are some great temporary/removable wallpapers you might use for an accent wall. IMO, they look best when you have a wall that is unpierced by windows or doors.
  • 12 years ago
    deco, is the 4' wider suggestion a general rule that we should keep in mind when trying to determine size? I've been wondering how to best determine what size rug is appropriate and your's seems to be logical :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi, do you have any photos of the rest of the space? I would need to see them as well as other rooms adjacent to this one to get an idea of your style and pieces you already have. Thanks.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Yes, that's the "rule of thumb" to use when making your choice. You need the additional rug to have chair scoot and sit space. You also don't want the rug to run into any furniture on the walls.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    What is your style? This chair in any color you like would look great with your table.
    Redsmith Dining Chair · More Info

    Tina Chair, Set of 2 · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you, deco :)
  • 12 years ago
    Blank slate to work with. Small space. Table is 9' long. Looking into antique Persian rug to bring in colour. Thinking a more modern chair could work with table...
  • 12 years ago
    You really need more photos of the "empty" space you are referring to. Also, nearby spaces will help with suggestions for window/wall treatments. What is your design goal?
  • 12 years ago
    Room is 8' wide x 15' long
  • 12 years ago
    Other view
  • 12 years ago
    Church pew currently on one side of dining table.
  • 12 years ago
    Looks like a fun canvas to start on!! I vote on those copper colored chairs above. Where did you find that table? I am looking for the same style.
  • 12 years ago
    Entire house is cloud white. 1800's farmhouse in country. Would like to bring in colour in rug, art...would like to be a nod to traditional but a modern version. Keep chairs and window treatments neutral... Thinking roman shades and curtains ...
  • 12 years ago
    Table from antique store in Ontario. Have seen similar tables at Christies Antique show held two times a year.
  • 12 years ago
    www.homedecorators.com is having a rug sale - my clients and I have been pleased with them.
  • 12 years ago
    rugsusa.com is having 70% off rugs for black friday! I put an $800 one in my cart yesterday and it came down to just over $200!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi Kristen. Now that I can see a little more of the space I am going to recommend you a few things.
    1. If you want to make a huge statement I would love to see a woods wallpaper on the back wall like the one below from Cole & Sons. It is fun and modern while still connecting with the farmhouse esthetic.
    2. For chairs, defiantly keep the church pew on one side...it's too cute! Then it would be nice to place two large upholstered chairs on each end of the table and more simple ones on the opposite side of the bench. (The ones below are from Restoration hardware) the bench should be on the side when you walk in, otherwise it will look like you don't have any chairs.
    3. For a rug I would keep it simple and natural, I love Jute or sisal.
    4. For drapes, I would go with linen (in keeping with the farmhouse feeling) the ones below are from Pottery Barn, they have some nice options.
    5. I feel like the scale of the mirror is off. Maybe if you had space for a buffet below it you could turn it sideways? I am not sure if you have enough space in the room for that.
    Anyways, those are just some suggestions for you to consider. Hope they will help you in determining which direction you would like this room to go in.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Here are the drapes...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Sorry, I see the bench has a pretty high back, so keep it on the far side and put the chairs in the front side ;)
  • 12 years ago
    Wow! Kelli Richards Designs - your input is fantastic. I am amazed with the things you have suggested as I too was thinking the woods wallpaper and love the linen and chair suggestions! Felt like you knew me there for a moment:)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I am so happy to hear that Kristin :) I love your dining room already! it has such charm and character, I think you'll do great job decorating it! Post pics when you are finished ;)