Software
Houzz Logo Print
mdiliev

Need help with choosing the basin

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
Hi
Some of you may have come across my post a while ago that we ended up with oak instead of walnut furniture for our bathroom.
We can't stain them, can't return nor exchange the units (long story).
Anyway, I am now wondering whether to go for a white countertop sink, marble or travertine (the darker stone on the console).
I was also wondering if I could complement the bathroom with perhaps bamboo or stone bath accessories...
Any ideas/comments will be appreciated. I looked at stonearth basins here http://stonearth.co.uk/Counter-top_basins.html
There is a tall wall hung unit in the same colour.
Thanks

Comments (33)

  • 12 years ago
    i like the lighter.
    mdiliev thanked yoboseiyo
  • 12 years ago
    Anyone else?
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you for your comment- would you not consider the marble or travertine instead of pure white? I am stuck with the colours instead of models but the samples of the stone ones are here http://www.stonearth.co.uk/Counter-top_basins.html
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I worry to much stone overkill. Perhaps using designer white can be more interesting... Alape or inda Fred or gingers sinks
    mdiliev thanked ASVInteriors
  • 12 years ago
    The tiles are not stone but they look like it, yes.

    I will have a look at your suggestions, thank you:)
  • 12 years ago
    I also like the white. It makes a good counterpoint to all that stone. It also ties in with your tub. I hope you post pictures when your are done.
    mdiliev thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • 12 years ago
    These glass bowl sinks are absolutely beautiful I am using them in a bathroom remodel right now. The website does not do them justice. They are a great way to add texture to the bathroom.

    http://www.oceanaglassdesigns.com/products/product-detail.aspx?productId=136
  • 12 years ago
    The glass basins really look good. Will email them to see if they are available in the UK...

    I will gladly post pictures here when it's finished (took too long).

    My husband wanted a white sink and looking at Alape- they appeal to me, would love to see them in real life though. I was just afraid not to have the bathroom too light at the end and that is why I looked at different colour options. From the Alape I like the vessel better which is 540-600 mm (two models). This console is 800x565 (very wide),
    Perhaps, really, if the basin is a decent size will feel a difference.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love the look of the stone accents in the bathroom. A vessel sink in a deeper color from your palette would really make the room pop.
  • 12 years ago
    I would consider going darker with a vessel sink as shown above since everything is so monochromatic. Right now everything is disappearing and one material is not standing out from another.
  • 12 years ago
    But what colour? There are not many choices here... Apart of another stone coloured sink
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I might suggest a deep mocha glass vessel, that way you can accessorize around it.
  • 12 years ago
    have you seen the vessel sinks that are stone they have a rough unfinished edge look to them
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I read about your problems on the other thread you posted - I can totally sympathise as we went through a similar saga with our bathrooms - so you are not the only one.
    I really like your choices for the bathroom and I can imagine how a darker walnut would've looked with the tiles. So my suggestion would be - if you go for a stone basin, why don't you go for black. That would give it a bit of a masculine look, but would provide a stronger contrast than a white basin; just accessorize with black towels and you get a very classic look.
    When we were shopping for our bathroom, we looked around quite a bit and in the end chose Artelinea - their products are great. We also had to wait to be delivered from Italy, but I'm glad we did - I love my vanity and sink! http://www.artelinea.it/en/products/basins-and-top/basin-top/58/info.html. Also, you can't go wrong with Alape - their stuff is iconic.

    bath · More Info


    I just realised we have a Duravit unit in the loft bathroom - and it's in a dark wood (sorry, I can't remember what it was) - we only bought that as we were offered quite a serious discount for it (ex-display). https://www.houzz.com/photos/2nd-floor-bathroom-contemporary-bathroom-phvw-vp~2428159
  • 12 years ago
    i am with mcbriec the bathroom is very monochromatic and needs something.. texture...or color. what are you doing as far as the mirror over the sink? maybe do a under mount sink and do a decorative mirror
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Luciana, I think this is from the a Starck range but looks like wen he to me (though can't be sure). But looks good!
    I opened the page of the manufacturer you sent- thanks, we'll see it better on the computer but am a bit afraid to go for black... I have not seen Alape in real life but theirs are only white, right? Though not sure if they are porcelain on other material.

    The mirror is already in place, nothing special but my son loved the Bluetooth on it so had it before we received the oak units... But the console is anyway for countertop basin, not any others.

    Who is the manufacturer of the mocha one if I may ask? I only saw Dune one here, not much decorative glass available... http://www.tilestop.co.uk/dune-wash-basins.html

    I also considered changing the mosaic above the sink with more colourful one but the problem is it feels not right feeling and seeing different texture to these tiles. They are simple but classy in their own and I love thespeccatella ones on the panel
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Mdiliev - Alape does black sinks (google AB R585 - first link, second photo shows the black basins).
    Artelinea does coloured stuff as well, but in glass, just look in 'menu' and then basins and go through the choices (side numbers). http://www.artelinea.it/en/products/basins-and-top/crystal/21/info.html
    Also, have you tried Porcelanosa? Or C.P. Hart, they are quite good and have several shops in London http://www.cphart.co.uk/showrooms/london_showrooms/
  • 12 years ago
    travertine would look nice and would give the bathroom more character . Might want to stay on the warmer side verses dark you might tire of the look sooner, Belinda interior design
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, CP Hart, this is where it went wrong with my Duravit... I guess all companies have these employees one shouldn't trust

    I will see the links, thank you:)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi there, the alape bowl is made of steel and comes in both black and white. It's shape is reminiscent (to me) of an open Chinese teacup. I have one I am about to install in a build and love the shape.
    mdiliev thanked ASVInteriors
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you all for your comments. I will be going for one of the Alape dish ones- either SB.K450 or SB.F54
    My console is 800x565 mm- would 540 mm diameter (although flatter) be too big and overwhelming?
    I can't attach both photos but the other one is above is above in AVSInterior post
  • 12 years ago
    Managed to attach one
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Mdiliev - they are both gorgeous! Great choices and whichever you pick would look great in your bathroom. I don't think the big one will be overwhelming, but being so large, it will restrict the available space on your vanity top (which can be a good thing! less clutter) but are you sure it is deep enough not to splash everywhere? If you prefer that one, I suggest you choose a not too tall tap for it.
    Please post a pic after it's installed. Good luck!
    mdiliev thanked Luciana
  • 12 years ago
    I also like both choices. Visually I lean toward the top one but Luciana brings up some valid points. I like the look of a taller faucet with both those sinks but if possible check for the splash factor.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    What tile did you use for the floor and tub skirt?
  • 12 years ago
    Hi guys. The faucet is through the wall, it is that one here.
  • 12 years ago
    The tiles re by Supergress Mandel
    Collection
  • 12 years ago
    Both colors get lost w the base. I would make it white.
  • 12 years ago
    Smart to use a wall faucet. Perfect for your modern look and so much easier to keep clean. Great fixture.
    mdiliev thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Luciana, I have always been thinking about the practical point of flat basins (Duravit also have a few) and despite I like the flat one better I ordered the dish one (it was also in stock so don't need to wait until after Christmas, started this bathroom at the beginning of October). Still like the flat one better so if it does not work with this one I will have to exchange it later.

    I will post photos here when we are done though I have not chosen the fixtures yet as first want to see how it will look so I know whether to go for chrome or chrome and porcelain accessories. We have put the tall unit up the wall now and I must admit it does not look as bad as I thought it will... So, hopefully, will start liking the bathroom better:)
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I like the lighter travertine.