Software
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferlewy

Where to put the couch?

12 years ago
Our family room is small and open to the rest of the house. We just bought a 2-piece sectional with moveable back bolsters, but I'm having trouble getting it to fit comfortably. We need space to walk through to the kitchen. The front entrance is in one corner. In the other corner there is a side door to the deck, and a bathroom. We have 2 small kids and they use this space to read, lounge, sit on the floor, and play games. The grown-ups use this space for socializing with friends and relaxing in front of the fire (the TV is in a different room). We are considering white built-in bookshelves along the interior wall where console table is now. Measurements are: longest wall with side door 17', opposite solid wall 12', and the width of the room is about 13'. Couches are 38" x 74". All the furniture can be repurposed somewhere else if need be, except for our new couches. What furniture arrangement would make sense here?!

Comments (17)

  • 12 years ago
    I'd start by joining the front corners of the 2 90 degree sofa sections and placing the white table in the square that is formed by doing that. Have one of the sofa sections centered in front of the fireplace (probably the longest section). Then please take more pictures.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    The floor lamp is great but doesn't belong next to the fireplace. Move it to a location where light is needed.
  • 12 years ago
    Try what Ann is suggesting by moving the section near the window in toward the FP to join with the other section. The white table maybe too big and too white. Could you paint it a color?
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you so much for the ideas. Ann, I pulled the couches together as you suggested and moved the lamps per leelee's suggestion. I think this works much better, but is there enough clearance to walk between the back of the couch and the console table? Should we skip the built-in shelves on that wall? We need storage somewhere. Thank you!!
  • 12 years ago
    jenniferlewy, this is off topic I know, but can you please give me feedback on your West End Sofa's; are they too low, not sturdy, too soft.... Thanks I would really love to know your opinion. I have been eyeing them for months.

    Thanks
  • 12 years ago
    Have you tried having the sofas facing each other in front of the fireplace? Try the room without the end tables--maybe some small, movable glass tables when you need them, I'd get rid of the lamps--maybe a small, metal floor lamp would work better. I LOVE the sofas , but it's a modern look and you have too much other furniture in the room.
    Also, if you want to keep the sofas in an L shape, try pushing one all the way to the back wall , by the fireplace--get rid of the small wood end table and lamp. Move the other sofa up against it with the front edges coming together, you could put a glass end table in the area between them.
    I like the console but you might want to try painting it a light, gloss gray to give the room a lighter feel.
    Get some help moving the furniture around and try anything. Casters might work on the coffee or end tables.
    I also LOVE your kids artwork--the colors are wonderful! Have you thought about framing some of their pictures and putting above the console? You could use the colors for floor pillows for the kids and limber adults to use. Good luck with your decorating.
  • 12 years ago
    Terry, thank you for the ideas. I did try the sofas facing each other on either side of the fireplace-- that's how I originally wanted to use them. But they are too wide and blocked the side door and fireplace. I did put the sofas in an L as you suggested and removed one of the side tables. Works much better. Now what to do with the console? Was thinking of removing it and adding a wall of shelves but I'm worried it will crowd the room...I also love my kids' artwork, thank you! It's an ongoing project to frame and place it around the house!
  • 12 years ago
    Hi rivers300, Good question about the sofas... We purchased from West Elm a couple months ago. Overall I give them a B+. Pros are the flexibility of placement with moveable bolsters. The couches are lower than usual but not too low at all. Pretty comfortable to sit on, but more firm then cushy. Love the clean look. The fabric is performance velvet and very soft, but haven't spilled anything on it yet so don't know how durable. Biggest con is that the bolsters are extremely unstable. I am disappointed because they did not feel this way in the store. I tested the floor model by flopping down on the seat again and again, and in the store they didn't seem to move much. But the ones we got don't seem to be weighted correctly, and they move back with the slightest bit of weight on them. Will probably call West Elm to see if there's anything we can do about it but I can't return the couches.
  • 12 years ago
    Love the kids art work also. Lovely choice of colors, would use those colors for pillow and decor as Terry suggested.
  • 12 years ago
    Have you considered putting the built-ins around the fireplace instead of the interior wall? That could be very nice, and it would balance out the heavy, off-center look of the fireplace, and you'd have more clearance behind the sofa!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for your feedback really appreciate it! I'm not usually one for placing furniture up against a wall but in this case I would consider removing console and placing sofa in front of fireplace up against wall the back wall, and maybe adding a medium size round ottoman in the middle.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree that built-ins around the fireplace sounds like a better placement, if built-ins are needed.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm trying to post new photos as I make rearrangements but it's not working. I just tried removing the console and putting one sofa against the wall across from the fireplace. The other sofa is now in a detached L alongside the fireplace. Problem is, we have to walk between the couches to get around. I love the idea of built-ins around the fireplace. We don't necessarily need the built-ins, we just need a place to store books and games. The baseboard heat makes it difficult to place furniture up against the walls.
  • 12 years ago
    I guess those sofas are much wider than they appear to be. Seems like you have one two many. The room can really only accommodate one comfortably. Can you swap one for a chair or something that is in your TV room or use in spare bedroom/guest room as a daybed or lounger.
  • 12 years ago
    one last thought.. the sofa near window can you push it closer to the fireplace that might give you room to walk by if you have the other against the wall.
  • 12 years ago
    Just click in the next open comment line and you'll see "Attach Images" comes up just below that comment line. Click on it and it will allow you to attach up to 4 images, much as you did for the original post.