Software
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_bess

wall length mantle...what to do?

12 years ago
My mantle goes the whole length of the wall...leaded window bookcases on side of fireplace....lots of woodwork...in a victorian type living area, not fancy victorian, but leaning that way. These pics are the mantle in increments.....I just want to do something different since I just took down the Christmas decorations.....

Comments (14)

  • 12 years ago
    Taking down the wallpaper and painting wall will update and has potential to warm up the space.
    Ginny Bess thanked dclostboy
  • 12 years ago
    Can't really tell what the rest of the room looks like to make a recommendation but honestly, I would take down the wallpaper. I can see the seams and then paint the walls green.
  • 12 years ago
    Well not in the position to take down all the wallpaper...that would be quite a project for now, but thank you for your input, I appreciate it.
  • 12 years ago
    Ginny, it is not as hard as you think. It is a project but well worth it over time. My house was covered in wallpaper. We took it all down by ourselves room by room over time, not all in one day. Paint will give you better options to decorate and it will be easier to sell when you need to.
    Ginny Bess thanked tennisanyone
  • 12 years ago
    Ginny, can you "shop the house " for nice things to put on your mantle. If you have a decent budget for decor items, can you post some photos from Houzz for people to critique your suggestions? Folks, she wants to decorate the mantelpiece.
    Ginny Bess thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Can you do a pair of Tiffany style lamps on either side with some art work in the middle. Don't feel pressure to remove the wall paper yet, just focus on what you can do easily- right now. Create a vignette for the mantle using a few important decorative items from your house. can you take a picture of the entire wall from further away?
    Ginny Bess thanked sunnydrew
  • 12 years ago
    Here are a couple of pictures.....mind you, I am just experimenting right now with things that I already have.....
  • 12 years ago
    It is so darn big, it is hard without spending a fortune on new things.
  • 12 years ago
    I also have a mantle clock, that I have used before
  • 12 years ago
    more pics...trying to get closer to see details...
  • 12 years ago
    I think it would look great if the wallpaper was taken down and walls painted a nice sage green. The mantle and all that wood painted white. Nice, large clock above fireplace mounted on wall.
    Ginny Bess thanked Emily Long
  • 12 years ago
    Ginny, it's not so much what you use as how you use it. Think balance. The two lamps, one on each side of the FP would be where I would start. I'm not sure what that third lamp by the chair is but you may not need it. Use your painting in the middle. Now you have a very symmetrical balance. You can then use your clock, candle stick and book to create a small vignette between the picture and the lamp on either side. On the other side, use your tray turned as you have now, with the candy dish (?) and your greenery. Remove the lantern and the upright greenery piece. Step back, see how that feels, and post a pic for the rest of us. Then let's go from there.
    Ginny Bess thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    You may also have to remove your corner piece for a moment so that we can get the balance right.
    Ginny Bess thanked User