Software
Houzz Logo Print
wallizgrl

Help!! What should I put above the buffet?

12 years ago
Here are some photos of our newly painted dining room wall. I think I like the color, its a dark burgundy shad...but not sure what to do above the buffet. I have also attached a pic of the rug that is under the dining room table. Never mind that the table and buffet are different colors, its what I have to work with for now. I know the knobs of the buffet are silver, but I think I would like to change them at some point, so not wanting to focus on silver in this room. The two shabby off-white pieces are also some pieces I have that I could use over to create some sort of grouping over the buffet. I plan to purchase some sort of lamp for the buffet too. The ceiling in our place are VERY low...like 7.5 feet!! So whatever I go with can't be too big or it will cover what area is left above the buffet. Should I do a mirror? Or collection??

Comments (21)

  • 12 years ago
    Oh gosh! I LOVE that wine clock, but not exactly what I am going for in this room. Not sure exactly what I am going for though.
  • 12 years ago
    what ever you decide to do on the wall you might also want to look into a table lamp. here is what i found for you and you are welcome :)
    http://www.cjshearthandhome.com/floor-table-lamps/
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I was looking for a lamp too. What about color, would you add another color? The walls on either side are a pale creamy yellow.
  • 12 years ago
    What about something like this to go with the others I have already??

    http://www.target.com/p/vintage-tile-geometric-wall-sculpture/-/A-14214627#prodSlot=medium_1_6
  • 12 years ago
    Lamp 18-20" high narrow dark base cream shade very small. How long is that mirror in pic? Could work over buffet if nit longer. Hang 7" above top of buffet horizontally. Lamp on end with clock to side of it. A bowl other end. Love wall color and rug. Play off colors in rug for accessories. Black, cream, gold.
  • 12 years ago
    Not crazy for Target art. Might look at Target for a canvas type with yr colors 36" square would work hang 6-7" above buffet. You have very low ceilings. But still go big over small items. Use palm faux in nice ceramic pots on side of buffet. Plants are a good way to fill empty corners. Ikea has some nice art and plants. Great price too.
    wallizgrl thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 12 years ago
    What about using the cream items I pictured? Would cream be too harsh of a contrast on the wall with that furniture? The buffet is 65 long and the mirror is 58. I also purchased one in gold a flat gold/silver color (has some brushes of red and black too). How would that look? The buffet and table are centered under the dining room light...which we be changing out but not relocating. So there is about 3.5 feet on one side of butter and about 6 feet on the other side. What could I do on the side that is 6ft? Would a bookshelf or tower of some sort look ok on that side. And a large plant in the corner? Also, the buffet is more like an espresso and the one mirror is more black.
  • 12 years ago
    You are only showing us small pictures of stuff. We need to see the whole space to give an informed opinion.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    ok, not a problem. :) will upload them soon. I was trying to give a close up of the finishes on the mirrors.
  • 12 years ago
    Either of those two frames would lookk fine against the color of wall. The one thing you want to avoid with a dark red wall is a light brownish orange frame like oak as the there isn't enough contract.

    I was going to say when I read your original post and saw the black mirror that it would look nice above your buffet.

    Don't feel you have to aplogize for your furniture not matching. That's what gives your house the warmth, charm and personality that makes a house a home. I love your buffet, the clock, and think the orange charm has that funky quality that lights up a room. And I LOVE seeing people who aren't afraid to paint their homes somethings besides 50 shades of gray. I'm taking a break from paint two yellow accent walls in my bedroom as we speak.
    wallizgrl thanked hayleydaniels
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Layered art leaning against the wall would look great in this nook. - you can incorporate your existing pieces with some new art. I'd start with some thing BIG in the background, and layer from there. You could add a lamp on the buffet top as well. The two pieces in the "sketch" I'm attaching are:

    "Splashing" (by me) at roughly 30"x30" - I'd have it framed with a gold toned frame: https://www.etsy.com/listing/40204523

    "Wine on a Sunny Day" by Suzy Kitman at roughly 10" - you could do a matte black / charcoal frame to tie in the dark colors of your rug - http://society6.com/SuzyKitman/Wine-on-a-Sunny-Day_Framed-Print#12=60&13=54
    wallizgrl thanked D. S. Brennan Photography
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Here's a real layered art example so you can get an idea of the 3-dimensionality of it: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/50876670764719930/

    Remember if layering or grouping - you need to "anchor" the piece to the buffet visually.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Don't be afraid to prop huge art on the floor to flow out of the grouping above the buffet, either! :-) Kind of like your mirror in the corner of the photo, there.
  • 12 years ago
    A gilt/gold-framed mirror always looks classy and stylish against dark red-based colours. You can't go wrong. It would link into the gold in your rug, and if you're planning on changing the knobs on the buffet then you can pick some in a similar finish.
    wallizgrl thanked LoobyGuru
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks D.S Brennan Photography. I actually fell in love with this look from Pier 1 http://www.pinterest.com/pin/144326363032441684/
    I LOVE how you added the two pieces up there. I couldn't see it in my own mind against the dark wood of the buffet. Its actually a dresser my husband bought to go with our bed, but once we got the bed in the room and situated where we wanted, it didn't leave much room for it. So it became a buffet in the dining room. And I personally love it out here. Its lovely for wine glasses and linens

    Thanks hayleydainiels, for the kind words of encouragement about the furniture. I have been telling my husband, I am crafty but don't really have an eye for decorating. Glad I can find help and encouragement here on Houzz!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yes! The layers even down to the floor - love that look. I think it's a great re-use of your dresser - really nice, solid looking piece for a dining room, really feels homey.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I agree with Steve Guadagnino and D.S. Brennan -- a mirror, clock or art piece would look great over the buffet or display the art by leaning it on top of the buffet. The simpler, the better. I would go with one large item on the wall (mirror, clock, art) and then keep fresh flowers on the buffet. You could always use a floor lamp instead of a table lamp too!

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I would suggest a large, framed print of "The Night Watch" by Rembrandt, which has red and lemon yellow colors in it. Please look it up on the internet and see if you like it. This particular print would go well with the tulips Thomas Baker has shown above my comment.

  • 10 years ago

    This is almost 2 years old. If you're new to Houzz, keep in mind that the related discussion threads on the right hand side of the page are pulled up by the key word generator, and are usually old, dead threads so check the date before you respond.

  • 7 years ago

    I believe a large mirror with a silvetone metal frame would look great and would tie in with the knobs on the buffet.