Software
Houzz Logo Print
csparkman78

Need to find stone!

12 years ago
We are building our house in Southeast Texas. Our house is made of hardy and the lower portion is going to be stone. From the very beginning, our builder knew that we wanted a dry-stack ledgestone made of cultured stone. When they poured our slab, the gave us a 5 inch brick ledge.

Now we are told the cultured stone we want doesn't come in the thickness needed for the brick ledge. That we need to lay brick and then the cultured stone but we would have to add $4000 to our bid, or choose a real stone.

I don't mind having real stone, I've looked. I just can't find the color of stone that we want to go with. I'm looking for grey and brown tones. Everything I see in Texas is light shades of buff and creams.

Also, the stone is going to be used inside as well. Any Suggestions?

Comments (16)

  • 12 years ago
    What does the natural stone in your area look like? I would go with that. It's common all over Texas to use the stone that you would find in your own part of the state. I'm from Southeast Texas but I live in Deep East Texas now. :)
  • 12 years ago
    If you're near Houston, you could try www.apexstone.com or alamostone.com
    I just came across these, so I can't speak to the companies. They seem to have the colors you want.
  • 12 years ago
    The stone in our area is pretty but we chose cultured stone because of the range in shades and had the look we were going for. If we change the stone color, we would be changing the whole look of our house. Thanks though.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you. Yes, I'm 45 minutes south of Houston. My husband and I will be in Houston tomorrow to look at more stone. I will put these 2 places on our list of places to visit. Thanks again!
  • 12 years ago
    A stone mason can pick and choose from different loads or pallets of natural stone to give you the look you want. Check to see if you can special order stone through one of the companies santoslhauper suggested :)
  • 12 years ago
    Good luck in Houston tomorrow!
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you! I will make sure to ask tomorrow. Wish me luck!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Do I understand the contractor said you need to furr out with brick and then cover the brick with cultured stone just to bring the face of the cultured stone flush with the brick ledge? Huh!???
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hope you find your stone. Just have the contractor work on your timeline for a change. Don't let them rush you, take your time and find the right stone. Not to sound too negative, but you're probably getting an idea of what you will experience with this builder. And if they give you a hard time, play dumb like they did. Maybe they'll listen next time. No I don't dislike builders, I admire and respect the ones who care and get it right. It's a great gift to build a home that makes a homeowner happy.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes Yarbro.
  • 12 years ago
    We have enjoyed our builder and know he will build us a beautiful home. The process of building has come with some stress but no too bad. This is the only major issue we have had. Hoping to find stone soon!
  • 12 years ago
    Yarbro, our options right now are for us to find real stone because it comes in the thickness we need and it's windstorm certified or lay brick, then the cultured stone to stay within the windstorm guidelines. The brick ledge could be covered with landscaping except for the front porch and garage area. I hope we find stone or another solution.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm glad you are going with real stone ... the cultured stone looks really bad/fake IMO.

    Good luck!
  • 12 years ago
    Indianpatti, thanks. I've seen a lot of cultured that looks very fake but there some that look very real and pretty. That's why I'm struggling with this decision. We haven't found real stone that offers the style or color that we want.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Gotcha! ;) Thanks