Software
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

What design era would you bring back?

12 years ago
If you could bring back one design era from the past, which one would it be and why?

Tell us! (Photos encouraged)

Shagedelic Retro Apartment in Singapore · More Info

Comments (60)

  • 12 years ago
    Frank Lloyd Wright is timeless. Love Falling Water.
    Emily Hurley thanked wisneb
  • 12 years ago
    Mid century modern for sure ... all the windows, bringing the outside in .. beams, stone . love it!
    Emily Hurley thanked indianpatti
  • 12 years ago
    Shabby chic country eclectic. That covers a lot of territory. But flowers, white, white, white, pink, blue, green. Overstuffed English cottage by the lake. Lace and chandeliers. Cozy and comfy. Sweet Marie
  • 12 years ago
    The color orange and shag rugs were the 70's.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    HI -- I think the mid century modern,- because it is still going ,- but the classy things - not the gaudy stuff . Hollywood Regency and some Deco is still going strong and it's classy . I hope to never see most of the 70's and 80's trends (fads ) - not a good design time . I hope the Faux painting and the Shabby and the Country and Southwest and Tuscany styles will be gone for good soon too.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love most decades. But like a good base for a recipe, they need to be reimagined with new more ecological materials.
  • 12 years ago
    MCM still looks great. No other "trend" has held up.
  • 12 years ago
    Art Noveau or Art Deco... sort of between those two. You need the right kind of house though, but Craftsman with a touch of Deco, that's nice.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Art Nouveau period, organic, luscious, colourful. We used to live in the same street as the first building in the pictures below (in Brussels). Forgot to add I also like very much Art Déco and the Hollywood Regency periods as mentioned by others above.
  • 12 years ago
    Gaudi.
  • 12 years ago
    Definitely Art Deco , Art nouveau. I am still rather upset with my sisters because they sold our parents bedroom and livingroom in Art Deco without consulting me. I was living abroad at that time. No reason for a family feud, but a big regret.
  • 12 years ago
    Definitely NOT MCM. I'm with Jessica, Shaker style. Clean, pure and expert craftsmanship.
  • 12 years ago
    MCM, for sure.
    Gary Hutton Lagoon House · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    MCM for me but without shag carpet. It's impossible to keep clean and looking nice. We used to joke about shag carpet that was so long your could mow it.
  • 12 years ago
    Spanish Colonial Revival-but I live in Santa Barbara, where it never left.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'm sort of an Art Deco fan myself. Just take a look at the Chrysler Building or some of the MGM films from the 30's. Very short period of design but very compelling. Miami is full of the Flamingo version but the Brit's take on this style is very clean, modern and reminiscent of trans-Atlantic ocean liners.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Going through a brutalist phase, at present, and think it may be because when it was done well, it created massive sculptures in the landscape, with no need for additional embelishment. Utilitarian art on a grand scale.
  • 12 years ago
    Early American. Large brick fireplace in kitchen. Lots of walnut or dark oak. Center island with forged hangers for pots/pans, other utensils... Sorry, don't have any pics.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Anything from the 1910s through the late 60s...love it all, in the right setting. But for me, the Art Deco period will always be one of the most creative, exciting and glamorous eras, stylistically. They took such effort in making even the humblest objects attractive - including a heating vent or a doorbell.
  • 12 years ago
    I like to see homes with each room a different era...even if this seems odd...I like it...different colors too...basic colors...blues...green...and yellows...
  • 12 years ago
    For me it would also have to be Art Deco...so elegant, yet looks easy to live in/with.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm with Jessica. Love the simplicity and function of the Shakers.
  • 12 years ago
    Craftsman and Shaker
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like MCM, but I never have as much opportunity work with clients that have this period of home that I would like. Koenig, Neutra and Wurster are some of my favorites.
  • 12 years ago
    Would hate to be stuck in one period. That would bore me.
  • 12 years ago
    I like and appreciate good classic designs from all eras... well, maybe not the Stone Age. They can keep their rock caves and lack of plumbing. But I do think the cave paintings are cool!

    What makes it fun and frustrating in our time is knowing when to "stay within" the style of an era (buying pieces, using colors "appropriate" for a house's style) OR when and how to mix elements from different eras, thus breaking the boundaries of staying true to one particular design era.

    I guess that is why we have Houzz. :)
  • 12 years ago
    Arts and Crafts. Craftsman style homes. William Morris textiles and wallpaper.

    tropical craftsman · More Info

    Arts and Crafts Laundry Room · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I like post & beam constructed houses. I don't know if they were popular in a particular era, but i know they will always be popular in all my era's
  • 12 years ago
    i like country French/Italian, but not fussy. I feel it's a classic look, but comfortable.

    i really don't like MCM, i find it cold, unwelcoming, and uncomfortable. but in the end it doesn't matter to me what the "style" is, we put into our home what makes US happy, not some designer or some trend. I'm sure lovers of MCM feel exactly the same way about their style! and that's as it should be! ;-)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Love Art Nouveau, craftsman style, traditional and Tuscan. www.luminosodesign.com
  • 12 years ago
    Anything that's before the 70's. I love things that are simple and were made to last forever. No pressed wood or plastic furniture that falls apart or breaks. I hate how so many things now are made to fall apart in 10 years or less so you will have to go buy more. Companies know how to make things to last, but don't because that doesn't make them profit.

    Give me Shaker, Art Deco, Early American, or anything that was made to last the test of time.
  • 12 years ago
    Art Deco...it is modern in the sense that it was really brand new when it came on the scene, and after so many years, the best of Art Deco is classic and still modern.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I have to admit, I love Eastlake Design, which has almost a folk art quality to it, as well as Art Nouveau when not done to excess, and some Art Deco. But I don't think I'd bring any of them back as a period design for today. I like being able to bring ALL of them back, in new ways, for different clients, depending upon what they love.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Art Deco ! Love that style
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The sixties!
  • 12 years ago
    those chairs!
  • 12 years ago
    Not this one!
  • 12 years ago
    Art Deco
  • 12 years ago
    @studio10001 Thanks for the edjumacation, I'd never heard the term Brutalist Architecture, had to look it up. As you say, and as the UCSD library absolutely proves, it's stunning - when done right! I did my grad studies there though and was not surprised that many students living in the dorms commit suicide! Absolutely every other concrete building on the campus, ie virtually all of them, were horrendous - cold, forbidding, overbearing - in a word, brutal. I did just now read that "brut" actually comes from the French Beton Brut, or simply raw concrete, but the mistranslation "brutal" is unfortunately apropos!

    But yeah - that library!!! And it was so brilliantly sited -, you see it way up at the top of a chasm, when driving south on Interstate 5.
  • 12 years ago
    Art Nouveau
  • 12 years ago
    My choice/choices would be Art Deco/Mid Century Modern. I love the glam and class!
  • 12 years ago
    Mod.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Mid century
  • 12 years ago
    All of them eclectic and now
  • 12 years ago
    Love MCM but the Deco style of the 30s and 40s is my favorite. You have to have a large space to really do it justice but the furniture was art all by itself.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I know this is an old post but wanted to comment anyway. I'd bring back either Art Nouveau or Art Deco. Although they are dissimilar styles they are both visually awesome.

  • 6 years ago

    I like a "Grand" look, like Georgian. Or any of the homes in Victoria magazine.

  • 6 years ago

    Idk but not this one! :~)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    The age of the goddess - most of it was doggedly destroyed to get rid of evidence of it - bet it was gorgeous! Bring back the nature and family revering goddess too while you're at it! Lilith - the goddess of sensual pleasure (not sex - a crass western concept). I'm thinking I would not have been dragged to those ceremonies. "Hurry up mom and dad or we'll be late!"