Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cxg2

whole house remodel...vaulting

cxg2
10 years ago
Hi everyone, we have begun a whole house remodel on a 3 BD 2 BA ranch on the Georgia coast. Now that the walls are down (going for full open plan)...what do you think about vaulting? I was planning on vaulting the kitchen and the attached sun room only...too expensive to do the family, living and dining areas too. The fireplace on the family room wall will be completely surrounded by glass too though....see what you think...Thanks!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    10 years ago
    If I could only vault one area, I would choose the main living area..it is a large space and looks "squatty" with a low ceiling. It will look even more so if adjacent areas are caulted. If vaulting is too costly, maybe at least large deep trays.
  • cxg2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! my husband and i just groaned....:)....that's what I'm worried about but we're talking 6-7 thousand more dollars!! The back wall will be glass though...will that help?
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    10 years ago
    I think it would be worth the investment. It will make a huge difference.
    cxg2 thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • cxg2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks...this is tough because we're already 23K over our budget and the only thing i could save significantly on was the vaulting...nothing else in the remodel is really optional...and i do love vaulting. The family room, where the fireplace is, is too expensive to vault--it has all the heating and air above which would have to be moved etc. But there's nothing above the living and dining rooms so that might not be bad...so, if we vaulted all but that room with fireplace (which will be completely surrounded by glass, with a stainless flue)...how would that look do you think?
  • cxg2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ok guys, i just called the contractor and told him to do it!! He said "I didn't want to say anything but it will look so much better". Unfortunately we can't do that family room, there's too much behind the ceiling that would need to be relocated, but we're going to vault 3/4 of the house--living, dining, kitchen and sunroom behind kitchen (that kitchen door and window wall is all coming down too, and the sun room is being glassed in and vaulted. I'll send you "after photos" if I can figure out how to get back to this post. I'm not very good at Houzz yet.

Thank you both again.
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    10 years ago
    I think you made the best decision..vault as much as reasonably possible. Would be great to see the "afters".
  • cxg2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I want to share the "after photos"--hope you can see these...it looks wonderful, thanks again!
  • cxg2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I want to share the "after photos"--hope you can see these...it looks wonderful, thanks again!
  • cxg2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    9 years ago
    WOW!!! It is amazing...great job. Thank you for sharing it with us.
  • Ducktuck
    9 years ago
    I LOVE IT!!!!!!! I think that the living room looks great without the vault too, it makes it look cozy.
  • Ducktuck
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Can I ask how tall the living room ceilings are? We are in a similar boat, not sure what to vault and what to leave. Also can I ask what the approximate charge was to vault the individual living spaces? I was told it would be around 20k to do my living room alone! 7K sounds so much better. I am also in a ranch home.
  • cxg2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The living room is about 8 feet. We didn't vault there because there was heating and air above the ceiling and it just would have cost too much. But folks on this thread recommended we vault as much as we could--and i'm really glad we took that advice...we basically vaulted all but that ceiling and I think it came out well...with the glass too...we got a lot of light so it doesn't feel closed...I'm glad you think it looks cosy, i think so too!
  • Ducktuck
    9 years ago
    Thank you. Our living room also has 8 foot ceilings. I'd like to vault it and leave the other rooms as is. Your house looks wonderful. I bet the vault made the space feel so much larger.
  • jkashj1971
    9 years ago

Looks amazing! Great decision on the vaulting. I'm in Georgia as well and searching for ideas on altering a 1961 ranch. This looks promising!

• b651
    9 years ago
    Looks really great! I love the living room and the glass wall on the back. The house seems so open and airy!