Software
Houzz Logo Print
christine_goodnough

I'm betwixt and between...need some help with direction on chairs

I've attached a photo of my dining room; we have only lived in this house about a year and not in love with the color scheme here but living with it for now. And now that I look at the photo, much too busy!! And, yes, our house was built ~89, so legacy builder-grade brass chandelier will go.

I just bought the cabinet because I saw it, loved it, and that has kick-started a renaissance of this room. The next thing I am focusing on is end chairs because x back reflected in mirrored cabinet...yikes. Bought the one on left and will pick up the second (full disclosure: came from Home Goods) already having second thoughts. I love the idea of having 2 chandeliers specifically drum chandies,...but worried that all together is much too contemporary. I found this chair that is still contemporary, but has a little more of the "itional" of the "transitional" component that I shoot for. ;-) Only thing it, reviews said it was more gray than beige or cream. Still neutral?

And I will eventually do an overhaul of the colors. Love light! Love dark wood with white and lighter colors. Any advice? Which chair would you advise?

Comments (25)

  • 12 years ago
    love the buffet. can the table be turned the other way?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Like the chair you have pictured with this table. Will your mirror between the windows work at all over the buffet, which is just beautiful. I can see why you fell in love with it.
  • 12 years ago
    Can the cart at the end of the buffet go to maybe the wall with the art? OR between the windows? I cannot tell how much floor space you have at the perimeter of the room.
  • 12 years ago
    It could be turned...I just measured and the room is 14 x 16 (+/- inches), currently, the table with one leaf in it is ~6'8", so yes, it could be done. It may be tight 2' 8" for 2 chairs pushed in (16" ea. side by my measure). So I'd worry about tightness, plus I really love the idea of having 2 6-light chandeliers above the table... I guess it could work and would be the view that you'd see when you look from the entrance...might be nice. Wouldn't hurt changing just to see!
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, and in it's current orientation, that cart, actually a wine rack we got when we first got married, could definitely fit. It's 14". When we get a better solution in the kitchen...that will go. There's currently 5'4" between the wall and the side of the table. I guess it's pretty roomy.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    That is a special wine rack! It deserves a special place ALONE and not being overshadowed by the new piece. I actually like them in dining rooms!
  • 12 years ago
    @Barnhart Gallery...Wow! that makes my heart soar. Makes me feel like I'm currently in sleepyland and this is a big kickstart to wake up to a better feel! Thank you!
  • 12 years ago
    by changing your paint color to above the rail(BM natural linen) and drapes and the rug and chandelier you could have a dr similar to the one in this reference/inspiration pic(irregardless of the round table) It is a gorgeous palette
    Urban Sophisticate- Transitional Home in Wrigleyville · More Info
    Christine Goodnough thanked anne dee
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi Christine, I'm in favor of the buffet, the chair is okay, but I don't feel excited about it. I noticed your area rug features a lot of green, which may or may not go with some gray paint choices. I use Soft Fern from Benjamin Moore, it has gray overtones and will give you some warmth in the room. I like the chandelier selected from the post above mine and when you remove those brocade curtains (someone's grandmother's?) I think it will air out the room a ton!
    Christine Goodnough thanked Sandi Perry Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    @anne...Wow...love, love, love. What an inspiration!
  • 12 years ago
    @ Sandi Perry Thank you... I'm hearing gray a lot, and it's so inspiring...beautiful. The green rug will leave...it was just from a former life used to put something in place. Not wed to it! It's what I need...to air out the room...not feel so HEAVY. Love the light with the dark wood. Yes, our home was owned previously by someone in a different generation than us, LOL!
  • 12 years ago
    I think the paint color needs to go first. Then, a more modern chandelier and solid drapes. I'm not even sure you need end chairs. Maybe for every day I'd just leave the 6 chairs on the two sides and then add your extra matching chairs on the ends when you have that many people for dinner. I think the rug is fine and I might choose a very muted version of the green in the rug for the paint color. Changing those things would completely transform your room.
    Christine Goodnough thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    Oh sorry, I just read the rug is going. It looks like a nice wool rug. I'd probably use it if it's in good shape.
    Christine Goodnough thanked Ann
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I know you mentioned drums as an option but don't entirely dismiss crystal. This fixture has a contemporary twist to traditional chandeliers and the polished nickel and crystal would tie in well with the new console - not to mention how it would bounce light around the room.
    Aubree Crystal Chandelier · More Info
    Christine Goodnough thanked Whispar Design
  • 12 years ago
    @ Whispar... I do like it very much! Gorgeous. You know what I always think about when I see crystal? First, I think...oh, that looks so good... and then, I think....oh, what about cleaning it? That one looks a little less onerous in the cleaning dept. Wouldn't definitely deter me. I can see it!
  • 11 years ago
    It's been a while since I posted! I've been working on this dining room; I'm almost there. Took some of the advice; just *loved* the grey walls with the dark wood. But I'm also partial to warm colors. So when I saw this print and loved the greys in it with the orange; it was serendipitous that it worked. Anyway, I have other orange in my home; so it flows in context.

    Really hemmed and hawed about the color of the drum. There was another version w/white, but with silver hardware which I didn't like. It looks more tan IRL, but still warm vs. cool. And once it's up, there is no returning to the lighting store. So, I hope it works!! I like it; overall it "feels" so much better!!!

    Still left: am now thinking about reupholstering chairs-- orange-ish? And rug-- what to do-- grey? Grey/orange?

    I loved the advice from here! Thank you than you! I took a lot and my own too.
  • 11 years ago
    Wow, stunning transformation. Enjoy your beautiful dining room.
  • 11 years ago
    This is a HAPPY room and I just love it when posters return to share.
  • 11 years ago
    You have done a great job with this room! Did you try moving the wine rack to the opposite wall with the larger piece of art? It is only my opinion but I think there are too many things around the buffet (I love the buffet). As for the chairs, I think reupholstering would be a good idea something with a subtle print. Congratulations on the room!
  • 11 years ago
    @suebk64, no I haven't tried moving the wine rack; the opposite wall is the opening to the foyer. I suppose I could try putting it between the windows? Or move the tree to the other corner where currently there's an antique cabinet with a glass door that holds books. It is the perpendicular wall to the buffet wall. Probably not permanent, but that's the way things seem to go in my HH, LOL!
  • 11 years ago
    Is there room under the mirror for the cart? I know we talked about it once, but was not sure if you tried it and it did not fit???
  • 11 years ago
    As per yr query for a rug you might consider a bound sisal carpet as seen in the ref pic
    Dining Room · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    You could consider bringing in the poppy colour in a decoration on the dining room table for cohesiveness.
  • 11 years ago

    I think the rug you have works! The last pic in the series you posted made the seat covers look a little darker than the white and I could see changing them out. Are there colors in the rug that are also in the room?