Software
Houzz Logo Print
jbrooks770

Need help with entryway

12 years ago
We have a beautiful, fairly large entryway that I just can't seem to figure out how to decorate. The family generally comes into the house via the door leading from the garage into a hallway by the kitchen, so the entryway is not really 'used' by us, so a coat tree or something else like that isn't necessary . . . I would like to have lighting in the hallway that is NOT from above, so I was thinking maybe a table with a nice lamp would be nice. But what kind of table? The piece of furniture directly across from the curved stairway niche is a rather large antique armoire . . .

Comments (9)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    A piece of artwork on the wall would look great or a decorative table with an arrangement of some sort.
    Jennifer Brown thanked Julie Dailey Art
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Beautiful entry! A round table with lamp and art would be stunning. Something like one of the inspiration pics below (hover to expand photo)
    City: Kirkland Residence · More Info

    Flyway Drive Residence · More Info


    What is your style? Traditional? Transitional? something else?
    I can also see a high backed chair and chest with table lamp or even something like this console (only smaller) if you lean toward traditional
    Laurel Highlands · More Info
    Jennifer Brown thanked Denita
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Beautiful staircase! I posted some tables and lamps that we carry at our store. We carry a large collection of home accessories. Please visit at www.essentialsinside.com

    If you have any questions please feel free to email us at contact@essentialsinside.com

    I hope this helps.
    Marika

    www.essentialsinside.com: corianne round lamp table · More Info

    www.essentialsinside.com: lastri walnut accent table · More Info

    www.essentialsinside.com: brakefield pecan round table · More Info

    www.essentialsinside.com: furniture · More Info

    www.essentialsinside.com: irina, mango wood console table · More Info

    www.essentialsinside.com: almont mirrored console table · More Info

    www.essentialsinside.com: abiona table lamp · More Info

    www.essentialsinside.com: andra table lamp · More Info

    www.essentialsinside.com: marcel copper table lamp · More Info

    www.essentialsinside.com: abriella tall · More Info
    Jennifer Brown thanked essentials inside
  • 12 years ago
    The hallway is quite dark when the overhead light is not on and the sconces only have LED candles in them that come on at night and add a nice, warm glow, but not much additional light. I'd say my style is more on the traditional side, with something of a Tuscan/Mediterranean feel to suit the house. And there's about 6 feet of space across the niche to work with . . . I'd love to put some art on the wall, but what do you put on a curved wall? And I prefer things that are not only pretty, but also serve a function (a table with drawers for storage, for example; a pretty lamp to enhance the light of the space). I have 3 kids as well, the youngest being an active 4-year-old, so I don't really want to put anything too fragile or expensive in the space.
  • 12 years ago
    And thanks so much for sharing pictures! I am one of those people that needs to SEE something rather than just have it described to me. If only I could see images of items I think I might like in the space itself without having to actually get them -- that would make things so much easier for me.
  • 12 years ago
    I have toyed with the idea of getting a floor clock to put in the niche, but it would seem too small all by itself . . . I particularly like the Vericelli or Tennille floor clocks from Howard Miller. They are not only decorative, but serve a function as well.
  • 12 years ago
    HI -- The house looks wonderful . Because this is such a small curved area ,I think you should keep it simple with just a small tub chair or a small round pedestal table .This depends on weather your going to use either . I would just have a large single sculpture on a base . It could even be a garden one . Or a pedestal with something interesting on it like a blown glass piece . I like the larger décor pieces at Restorationhardware.com or look at Designtoscana.com You might find something there or at least some ideas .
    Jennifer Brown thanked lefty47
  • 12 years ago
    I think you should do a round entry table in the alcove. For storage, you can find one with drawers. Sometimes they are labeled as game tables. This one is on ebay. For character, I would scour the antique and vintage stores, Craigslist, ebay, etc. and get one that is a great statement piece. I don't like the lamp idea, but you could do a cluster of candle sticks -- frameless candles will work for the kids.
    Jennifer Brown thanked User