Software
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_jordan

Spaces between glass tiles

12 years ago
Hi Everybody!

I have a question about tiling with glass tiles in the shower. I purchased glass tiles and my contractor put them in, but it's not completely flush with the neighboring set of tiles nor the pencil border. It's not perfect, but I'm wondering if that will be a problem with water in the future and if it needs to be redone. Looking at the tiles from a distance, you can't tell too much. But up close you can see it isn't flush and there are gaps. Should I talk to m contractor about this?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (32)

  • 12 years ago
    This is the tiles from a distance, there are silver tiles, with plastic wrap over it, in case you were wondering what that was. Thanks!
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I didn't like it when I saw it. I'm not sure how to approach him though. Do you think I will have to buy new tile? I don't want to spend anymore on this bathroom, but it looks sloppy and haphazard to me. Thank you for your input!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you have not paid him yet, I would stop the payment until he has fixed your shower. You should not pay for his labor or replacement tile. What city are from? I might be able to recommend you a different tile guy for future projects.
  • 12 years ago
    I really do think this looks like it wouldn't be hard to remove and find something you would like better. I would talk to him and compromise on a price and discuss which tiles might be best. Even if he had done a better job I am not sure I would want these in a shower because there is too much relief for soap and mold to get into.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It is beautiful tile. If it is installed and grouted properly then you should not have any issues with it.
  • 12 years ago
    You have to have the contractor grout it again. If water in between the tiles, it can get moldy and then u would have to take all if it off
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Is the little square and rectangle tiles actual stone tiles or are they ceramic and can DC Interiors get a close up? You are using more stone. Often real stone tile looks quite different than ceramic and porcelain and the difference in the sizes of the stones are noticed. If that is porcelain you have chips where you shouldn't have. To me it still looks like he cut it in strips and trimmed them horizontally and pushed them together to try to get them in the 4 inches he had. The original spacing still exists between the glass and stone vertically . Maybe something like DC Interiors tile could be cut to the exact 4 inches or whatever you have you need.
  • 12 years ago
    I live in the Ft.Lauderdale/Miami area. Yes he trimmed the 12" mesh sheet into 1inch strips, but I guess to use all the sheet. I think he will plan to grout this, but I'm concerned on how that will look. I thought it looked bad when I saw it. And I'm not even that picky.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I do not think you should settle for this kind of job.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm with you!! This is a terrible tile job and needs to be redone. He should stand behind his work and fix it at no cost to you.
  • 12 years ago
    the tile there needed to be grouted too. Water will get behind and eventually cause mold. The tile was mesh mounted but needed to be grouted too. get the installer back. it's tedious but it's a must.
  • 12 years ago
    it comes in a 12x12 sheet . he did have to cut each sheet just how many inches you want the border to be.
  • 12 years ago
    didn't
  • 12 years ago
    Yea, some parts he left togther, like a 4inch strip and then some are 3inches with an extra random strip. I think he was trying to make use of the whole package and just fill in gaps with leftover peices, but doesn't come out very aesthetically pleasing. I am not even sure how this could be grouted honestly. It is sooo tight between there. I mean, he is the expert. I thought he would tell me if this was not a good tile to use in the shower or not.

    What about the stone tile above and below the accent? looked ok to me. If you look in the second and last photos, there are metal pieces covered with stickers, that look like white stones, but aren't. The sticker comes off when we finish.

    We have paid 80% to him so far. It was suppose to take about 2 weeks and now it is almost 4 weeks for a 5x8 bathroom. Anybody know excellent contractors in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area??? Thanks!
  • 12 years ago
    One more thought I will throw out there. Don't pay him the rest because you will have to do something different. Grout it yourself with a very fine grout or have someone else do it with the idea if it doesn't look good you can have someone or yourself change it later on. Styles change and you may want something else in 5 years anyway. This to me looks like a trim that could be removed easily because of the pencil border you have. The stone above and below look good to me.
  • 12 years ago
    More pics.... Yes I'm not gonna pay anymore.... I have paid $4,800 so far... :(
  • 12 years ago
    Lindsey,
    I have read different threads and blogs you are on. Much of what is written by contractors is about stone or tile that doesn't have grout and absolutely needs something waterproof behind it. I still hope you reconsider my suggestion of changing contractors chiseling out the trim and putting something in that you can grout and also grouting the large stones which to me look like they are suppose to be grouted. I probably wouldn't be very happy that the floor/pan is being tiled over but that may have passed the test even though your contractor didn't do it. I really don't think this needs a complete tear out as some of the contractors are saying. In the 50s-70s tile was put on drywall! The trick was to have absolutely no water get behind it and they did that by using grout. I am 60 yrs old so I have seen a lot of tile laid in my life and a lot ripped out and I am a real believer in grout and keeping whatever is behind the tile dry whether is water resistant or water proof, Mold will grow in any cavity if there isn't any grout to keep it out.
  • 12 years ago
    J Petempich.... Lindsey's current plans are on her thread here. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/bad-tile-job-help-dsvw-vd~857147
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The job is done poorly and should be replaced. It will cause more problems down the road....
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, it was all done pretty poorly. After posting my pics on tiler's websites. The glass tile was the least of my troubles, he built a kneewall without water proofing..., tiled over my existing pink tile...
  • 12 years ago
    I'm just curious, without water proofing with plastic or Kerdi, or tar paper...how long before problems arise? They seem to thing the tile and grout are a strong barrier, but I'm a do it all the way right kinda person...
  • 12 years ago
    In my showers I squeegee the walls and floor after showering. It takes about 1 minute. If the pan is good and everything is grouted with a different trim tile that will take water my guess is that it will be good until you want to change the style.
  • 12 years ago
    I think you were very smart to get feedback on a tiler's forum. I think even though your house has AC it would not take long to have mold issues in Florida. I do think your best option is to have it fixed now. For example the pony wall looks sound and now can be waterproofed wait and it will be rotted and might have mold issues.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, after reading everything from the forum I guess it should be gutted especially if you want it to last over five years. I would never try to use stone again because even with all the water proofing there still will be pockets of moisture behind the tile anyway that is what people seem to be saying. Maybe things won't rot but there will still be mold.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I didn't realize that stone was not good to use in the bathroom/shower. Now people tell me porcelain is what I should have used. However if I put some sort of sealer over the porous stone, will that help?
  • 12 years ago
    That may. There are a lot of people who like the look of real stone and how it ages with time. You see stone used in showers on this site often. Real stone is also uneven so the grout lines look to people as being uneven but that is the nature of stone. I guess what really bothers me more than anything with this project is that he laid the tile on the floor over the original tile. You still have a 50 year old pan and tile underneath. If he had pulled that and put new in you may have been able to change the stone if you didn't like it later on and have kept the floor.
  • 12 years ago
    J Petempich.... This is a duplicate thread. Commenting here continues to pull-up an incomplete conversation. Please add your expertise to the longer, more in-depth thread here>>>>> https://www.houzz.com/discussions/bad-tile-job-help-dsvw-vd~857147
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hi J Petempich I wanted to learn more about how would grouting keep the humidity impregnation of the wall from happening. Grout and thinset are porous are you taking about doing some scratch coats as a base to act as the vapor barrier?

  • 10 years ago

    old post