Software
Houzz Logo Print
barb0608

need help with refacing kitchen cabinets

12 years ago
Not sure if I have inset cabinets? Cabinets are to boring for me no design looking to change the color need to stay in the "wood" family counter top not changing nor is the backsplash HELP!!!

Comments (29)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi! Have you thought about changing out the hardware to see how you like the cabinets then?

    Here are a few suggestions:
    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/9/turquoise-painted-wooden-knobs-set-2/

    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/9/turquoise-ceramic-and-metal-knobs-set-2/
    barb0608 thanked Warner Decor
  • 12 years ago
    I have tried different hardware and I still don't like it. the cabinets seem to not flow with the rest of the kitchen, hard to explain
    the layout is fine its not that; I think its that they are not current with everything else I have
  • 12 years ago
    I would change the hardware to those elongated more modern than those in the picture.
    barb0608 thanked olliev
  • 12 years ago
    Other thing you can do is change the color. I like darker cabinets or on the opposite white.
    barb0608 thanked olliev
  • 12 years ago
    I like them. They are simple and probably higher quality wood than what you'd get now. You could change the hinges, or the hardware, but neither are offensive. One thing that might make them fit better with your granite and tile is a heavier crown molding. The small quarter-round cheapens the look. New molding will give you a lot of bang for the buck!
    barb0608 thanked keenplanner
  • 12 years ago
    What about staining what you have to be a darker wood finish?
    barb0608 thanked nrpyle
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    First, I would change hinges to be "hidden". Second I would add a simple trim around the edges. (use 1-1/2" wide x 1/4" thick lathing strip) Next use Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation System to paint (and also glaze if you choose). This is easy to use..very professional results and inexpensive. It is available at Lowes, Home Depot,..lots of places. Here is the link to learn everything about this product. I have personally done this on a home I once owned.

    Here is the website http://cabinets.rustoleumtransformations.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=cabinet%20transformations&utm_content={K_CREATIVE_HEADLINE}&utm_campaign=Cabinet%20Tranformations
    barb0608 thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • 12 years ago
    Love your idea however hubby said no to painting change door style and stain but no paint
  • 12 years ago
    I think the big issue I have is that the doors have no design to them they are just flat , thats why I don't think changing the hardware will do any good either. I know they are good wood cabinets and it kills me to think of changing the doors but...
  • 12 years ago
    Barb - these are classic "mid century modern" contemporary for their time which was probably the 60's. The way to make them work for you now is to accept the flat face but do something with the wood tones - think the driftwood gray suggestion will best integrate your stainless appliances and counter / splash. You might go for a tuxedo wood look - a deeper gray stain on the bottom and lighter ont eh top - definitely you want a warm gray stain, not a blue gray stain or green gray . .. warm gray like driftwood . . .
    barb0608 thanked libradesigneye
  • 12 years ago
    It seems like everything is fighting each other. Cabinets, hardware, counters, and tile are all different styles. The grain on the cabinets is nice. Painted cabinets are high maintenance, even if done professionally.

    I would change out the tile with something that complements the colors in the counter top and wood. Then dress up the cabinets with some crown molding. Darker color hardware, like bronze, would help pick up a color in the counter top. Use the inside mount hinges.

    Good luck!
  • 12 years ago
    what would you change the handles to
  • 12 years ago
    I'm no help - I like your hardware. I don't think this is about hardware. Your countertop has some undertone of lilac in it and your cabinet wood brings in gold / orangey yellow. Mustard and lilac can be complementary but not ideal - also busy counters fight with beautiful wood grain visually. If it were my clients kitchen, I would suggest you change counters to a solid quartz in light gray and celebrate the modern. Heading towards a driftwood stain seems like the best solution for your likes and dislikes.
  • 12 years ago
    Well I was trying to avoid replacing the counter top but that could end up being the less expensive route if I can't figure out cabinets
  • 12 years ago
    Stain cabinets a dark chocolate. Would look great against the countertop and backsplash.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I have to agree with libradesigneye................I would switch out the counters. Here are a couple of kitchens with cabinets similar in color to yours and and subway back splash. I think a grey quartz top would look great.
    Crown Hill Remodel · More Info

    Doerry Kitchen 2 · More Info
    barb0608 thanked Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think staining gray is the right choice and a heck of a lot cheaper than new counters, I think your knobs are fine. I would not change the moulding I think it suits the cabinets which were meant to be very plain.
    barb0608 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 12 years ago
    I live in a rental and cannot paint or change the cabinets. My kitchen is small so I chose to change the cabinets to white to open up the space. The solution worked beautifully. Home Depot sells 1/8 ¨ masonite panels and they will cut them to size. Because they are so lite you can attach them with velcro dots.When you move everything comes off easily. The small areas still exposed can be covered by white electrical tape. It works!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    True, staining the cabinets would be cheaper, but it is also messier and more time consuming. And it does require some skill. I guess it all depends on priorities and abilities.

    abstartrider - clever idea. Are you attaching hardware?
    barb0608 thanked Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    barb0608.................btw, to answer your initial question, your cabinets do not look like they are a full inset. If they were, the face of the door would be flush with the face of the cabinet box. They may be partial inset where part of the door is inside the face frame. The edge of the door fits around the front. They could also be overlay doors in which the door sits outside or on top of the cabinet box.
    barb0608 thanked Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
  • 12 years ago
    Yup. I am putting down traditional black and white checker board sheet vinyl so all the knobs and handles will be black.Again, very inexpensive.
    barb0608 thanked designalexander
  • PRO
  • 12 years ago
    Madden. This is just a total covering of the cabinet doors and drawers.At 1/8 the of an inch, there is no real change and as I said , white electrical tape finishes off the door edges.
  • 12 years ago
    This is not my idea.I stole it from www,nexpeditor.net small-apartment-kitchen-design/ Take a look.This is the configuration of my kitchen
    barb0608 thanked designalexander
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Barb, you have partial overlay door styles which means you have framed cabinets where the doors/drawers sit marginally over the frames. (In-set is when the doors sit inside the frames) More than likely these were built on site by a local cabinet maker (or in his shop to fit your space). Plain plywood flat panel doors are clean but not very interesting.

    I actually liked the hardware and taking that for inspiration you could easily add a small applied molding 4" in from the ends in a picture frame style (mitred together). Wood glue and small brad nail will secure it, fill the holes and poly prior to installing as it would appear you have a clear coat on your doors.

    Your local lumber yard would have molding for you to choose from but keep it simple and modern by the looks of your space. If you don't feel as though you could handle this job search for a local cabinet/finish carpenter in your area who could easily do it. The other option would be to have a local cabinet maker provide new doors - but the investment on that might warrant looking into all new cabinets with modern day conveniences such as full extension and soft close.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry, I would have gone black subway. You could paint a dark gray add long brush nickel pulls. Make sure you use cab paint. Could also add glass to doors and lights.
  • 12 years ago
    I see this a very old post. Hope you found a way to solve prob.
  • 12 years ago
    KR Kitchen had my idea, and they explained it nicely. It seems like the best and also least expensive way to update those cabinets. I can see why they bug you!
Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!