Software
Houzz Logo Print
karmenkh

Final Pendant decision

12 years ago
O.k., I love the look of the large glass pendant (11.5 x 15 H glass globe) but because I have 3 pendants on this island (9 foot island), I think they would be way too big. They do sell a smaller version (8.5 x 9.5 glass globe ( 3rd picture) but the area that holds the bulbs is slightly different. Good or bad I have narrowed it down to these two because I like the style and they are at a great price point. Please tell me if you like the smaller glass version or the bronze pendant in this kitchen? Thanks

Comments (36)

  • 12 years ago
    A few more pics
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I don't think the glass urns would be too big at all. The cleaning part is up to you. It's a great look though!
    karmenkh thanked Creative Lighting
  • 12 years ago
    I love both and had both in mind for my kitchen. I like the dark since you have so much light bright cabinetry and dark island, my eye is drawn to the dark pendant. I attached another one I personally liked. And I heard the glass is troublesome to keep clean. Food for thought. By the way I love your back splash. Beautiful kitchen:)
    karmenkh thanked klw78
  • 12 years ago
    I like the glass pendant better for your kitchen. Bronze is more of a rustic look.Your kitchen is more elegant.
    karmenkh thanked pitbulls
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I definitely prefer the glass but would look for one with a hole in the bottom!
    karmenkh thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • 12 years ago
    Great kitchen. Nice job. The pictures of the lights side by side, is one of the small & large?
    karmenkh thanked joancuneo
  • 12 years ago
    I could've sworn this was the same kitchen from a previous dilemma where the homeowner was getting rid of her bell jar pendants because they couldn't keep up with cleaning them and replacing them with the similar industrial style pendants.
    karmenkh thanked Rachel H
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Well, let's hope not!
    karmenkh thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • 12 years ago
    I prefer 3 of the dark industrial pendant actually! I think they balance out the scale and colour of the island below.
    karmenkh thanked Brown Dog
  • 12 years ago
    The large glass globes. They fit the space perfect!
    karmenkh thanked newman1958
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would go with the industrial style pendants. They weight the island and the contrast between them and the white cabinetry is good.
    karmenkh thanked Dovetail Studio
  • 12 years ago
    I like them both, but think the glass would add the perfect lighting to your beautiful kitchen. The other pendants may not give off the right lighting since they point down. Something to consider.
    karmenkh thanked Stephanie Lourey_Boedigheimer
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you so much for the input. I know that many people have said they thought the size of the large glass pendants fit the space but they still just seem too large to me in "person" vs how they look in the photo. Do all of you that prefer the glass pendants also prefer the smaller glass pendants over the bronze pendants even with the style change of the area that holds the bulbs. Also, the glass cleaning is being considered and yes, I did take out my previous lights because of cleaning but those pendants literally took me 20 minutes each to take apart to clean because they had to be completely dismantled, these are easy!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Another thing to consider is if you are doing prep work on your island, the down light might provide more direct light to your surface that you are working on.
    karmenkh thanked Dovetail Studio
  • 12 years ago
    I have a similar fixture in my kitchen over a 9 foot center island --I think it works beautifully!! Will try and see if I can attach a pic.
    karmenkh thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry --I wish I had taken this pic with the lights on --would have given you a better perspective.
    karmenkh thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    prya001 - go turn the lights on, take another pic (closer up though) and repost!
    karmenkh thanked km kane
  • 12 years ago
    glass. thanks for letting us vote karmenkh!
    karmenkh thanked km kane
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The glass ones by far. Sometimes over scale is better as it adds drama.
    karmenkh thanked Ku Interior Design
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks again. I love the look and size of the larger lanterns if I only had two but because I need three, isn't that going to look overwhelming? That's why I keep thinking I need two use the smaller size even if I don't like them as well....
  • 12 years ago
    pryaooq-Thanks for the photo, lovely space! Are these the Pottery Barn Hundai lanterns?
  • 12 years ago
    Here are a couple of pictures with the old fixtures that are quite a bit smaller than the "sample" glass lantern I have hanging. I also am wondering if I would have such large fixtures over the island, wouldn't the dinette light need to be very large too or doesn't that matter? Right now, I still have the dinette/informal dining fixture that is pictured but most likely will change that out too. again, I just don't want all the lights to overwhelm the space, that's why I thought I needed to go down to the smaller size but again I need help in this decision and I just go with the most popular vote because I don't know what I am doing-LOL :)!
  • 12 years ago
    karmenkh --Your kitchen is beautiful!! Personally I think adding another hanging fixture in the breakfast nook may be a bit much. I put in a simple recessed light there (btw my kitchen -family room layout is very similar to yours!)
    karmenkh thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Yes -- my fixtures are the pottery barn Hundi lanterns. I have had it for 6 years now!
    karmenkh thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Based on what I see in your photo, the size you have hanging there right now (the large ones I believe) will be just fine. Because they are clear glass, they will take up less visual space than the dark metal fixtures.
    karmenkh thanked Ku Interior Design
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Addison Design! What do you feel would be best for the informal dining if I have the large pendants? @pyra001- How often do you clean /wash) your pendant fixtures?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think the light you currently have would be fine. However, you might add some shades to the lights. If and when you change, consider the following: Do the pendants you are purchasing have coordinating fixtures? If so, look at those for your dining area. If not, look for similar design features - smooth clear glass, bronze metal, and rounded/curved shapes.
    karmenkh thanked Ku Interior Design
  • 12 years ago
    If you are worried about size, maybe you don't need three over the island?
    karmenkh thanked km kane
  • 12 years ago
    The holes are already in the ceiling because I has 3 before :(
  • 12 years ago
    Love the floors ! Info please ?
    karmenkh thanked stephcasey1229
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you. The floors are a Hickory wood with a custom tinted medium brown stain. I went with hickory because it is such a hard wood and I have large dogs. Hope this helps!
  • 12 years ago
    What do u think about this for over the table?
    karmenkh thanked joancuneo
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think you could do better
  • 12 years ago
    The picture is not good. It is enclosed in glass. In the same family as the ones she has. The pottery barn web is better.
  • 10 years ago

    I just had to say, I came across this and was confused thinking it was something I posted....but it obviously was not my house! I had the lantern lights put in our brand new house, after 4 weeks I couldn't take how big or busy or not sure what they were just off and I replaced them with your 2nd option...in my room with my decor I was much happier with the ORB pendants. What did you end up going with?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations