Software
Houzz Logo Print
john_lee3442

Updating Exterior of 80's Contemporary House...Suggestions?

12 years ago
We live in the suburbs of Philly in a 1980's contemporary-style home that we bought last Summer. Through a series of strange events, a large tree fell into the house last week & we are now looking at extensive damages that will need to be addressed in the immediate future.

Both the roof and siding were in need of attention prior to the accident & now seems like an ideal time to address them. The TnG cedar siding is pretty, but we want to get away from the maintenance issues (rotting, woodpeckers, bees, repeated staining, etc). We were thinking about stucco or HardiPanels...does anybody have a professional opinion? If so, what about colors? Other options?

See the photos for more insight...unfortunately, we lost the Flowering Cherry tree two weeks (3rd photo) prior to the most recent tree debacle (last photo), so it will need to be replaced, as well. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (14)

  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Beautiful flowers in the foreground! I hear good things about Hardie. Stucco is rarely used in my area, but perhaps is more popular in PA. I would pull out the formal shaped hedges which don't work with your contemporary vibe. Try to blend the home into the trees with color. Here are some Sherwin Williams ones that might work well for you. I think serious gray for the siding, a darker charcoal for the roof and the Melange Green for your front door would pick up on the tree trunks and greenery. Colors on the right side are simply further "reads" of what is seen in the photo of your home, including the flowers.
    John Lee thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback, Deco...a bluish-gray color was our previous first choice for the siding, but we want to reach out to the experts here for additional ideas/input.

    Anybody else have feedback on stucco versus HardiPanel? Suggestions for color schemes?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    HardiPanel would be an expensive choice and not that many contractors are experienced with them. Yes, HardiPanels offers great warranty but if its not installed properly, it could void the warranty. Stuco would be a better choice for you and perhaps it would be lot cheaper than HardiPanels. Also you could get vinyl siding and prices also varies by brand and style.
    John Lee thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Are you referring to Hardi- Panels - the 4'x8' flat sheets or the Hardi-Plank. The plank looks more like traditional siding.

    I don't think I would suggest the panels as they are very flat and severe looking and would not enhance the look of your house. The rear elevation appears to be one large flat plane and I don't think the panels will help with the look.

    I have installed the planks on several houses and like the look of the finished product. It does take longer to install, but if done properly it will hold up well.

    You may want to look at good quality vinyl siding as well. I'm not talking beige here. But something with some color. Have a look at http://www.gentek.ca/en/Index/Home/Revement/VinylSiding/SequoiaSelect.aspx The color windswept smoke would look great on your house.
    John Lee thanked Michael Design
  • 12 years ago
    Got an estimate of $50K for HardiPanel...yikes!

    We were originally thinking about stucco, but some people recommended fiber cement; is it really worth the (drastically) increased price?
  • 12 years ago
    Have you considered Certainteed vinyl shake? I think it would look good with your style home.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Do you have total square footage of the area? Perhaps, I could figure out a rough figure for you for stucco.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    John,
    Is that material cost alone? or does that include removal of old siding, strapping out the walls and installation of new?
  • 12 years ago
    I was a residential contractor for 30 years and used Hardiboard exclusively for perhaps the last 10 years. We ordered their factory colors quite often and couldn't have been happier with the final product. I live on the northern plains and it holds up to the diversity of the weather. Where you have such temperature changes stucco is not the way to go. They have many styles and colors to pick from too. Your house has such contemporary lines that I would consider a wider baton board look. Charcoal grey. Good luck, it will be worth the efforts in the end with good planning.
    John Lee thanked Pat Hager
  • 9 years ago

    I'm curious to know if you did a style update to this home. Mine is very similar in style and color and am trying to figure out what to do in terms of color and type of siding. Would you be able to update the photo? thanks

  • 9 years ago

    John. Great job. I love the stone. I was drawn to this post because my wife and I have found a home we really like, except the 80's contemporary style. It's a solid home with a great layout. We want to make an offer with the intent to drop some dollars to update the exterior to a fresh look. Below are some pics. Anyone's thoughts about an exterior change is greatly appreciated


  • 9 years ago
    Richard, if you start your own thread, you will get better feedback.
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you