Software
Houzz Logo Print
lindseylegrand

Help decorating around a mounted TV!

12 years ago
Work in progress, I will hide the cords! I planned on doing thin picture ledge shelves below, on either side, and above but now I'm not so sure! I like the idea of shelving so I can easily change out pictures without putting holes in the wall.

I need to do something to hide the Leaf antenna!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments (27)

  • 12 years ago
    Can you move the television to the striped wall and the sofa more in the middle of the room. Add more things, new sofa or a slipcover, some tables, bigger rug in blues and greens?
  • 12 years ago
    Is that the exact spot the antenna must be? The tv wall is small, so would easily become congested if you put anything else up there.
  • 12 years ago
    My idea in pic below
  • 12 years ago
    I like your original idea of the wood shelves, especially the same color as TV piece, and surround the the TV on the sides and top an
    gather the objects on the wall closer,
    to create a graphic look. Make it look like you mean it.
  • 12 years ago
    No, nothing to "decorate" the TV wall. You might lower the TV, put the box on one of the shelves and if reception is still good move leaf to one of the white stripes so it's less obvious.
  • 12 years ago
    Agree...no decoration needed.
  • 12 years ago
    Extend that antenna behind the curtain and drop that cord down along the baseboard. Done! Looks good.
  • 12 years ago
    Overall the TV nook looks cosy as the couch is not too far from the TV. Seems to me the TV is too high and the curtains are too short. Like the idea of bringing your leaf behind the curtains or on a white stripe if that is possible. Add some of the blue and green on the couch (cushions/throw). Rearrange the articles on the shelves so that the red items are not all on the same side and rearrange the basket as it looks like a laundry basket. When you have the cords fixed up I'm sure you'll see a big difference.
  • 12 years ago
    that's my idea
  • 12 years ago
    that's my idea
  • 12 years ago
    I'd play up the two wall finishes and kitty corner the tv and console, then you can have more options with furniture placement, angle the sofa to match the tv and place a sofa table and lamp behind it.
  • 12 years ago
    "Decorating around a mounted T.V." First, the T.V. shouldn't be something we decorate around--it shouldn't hold a room hostage! Second, if anything, I'd do all I could to hide the dang thing: cabinet that can close, a shade, inside a bookcase, etc.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    A couple of ideas for your wall.
    You could use a long shelf above and add decoratiave
    elements: Collectables, books, plants, candles, etc.

    In the other picture, cover the antenna with small pictures
    as seen in the second photo I am not a techy, not sure
    if the antenna can be covered or painted to match the wall?
  • 12 years ago
    Move the A/V and gaming stuff into the console. Hide the cables. Hide the antenna. If this is a house, move it up to the attic. Change your lighting. Based on the glare in the photo, you have a light fixture in the center. I would recommend getting recessed lights for a TV room/nook. It will practically eliminate glare and improve the overall ambiance of the room.
  • 12 years ago
    I've always wanted to mount a TV above a fireplace (or just a mantle).... You can hide the cords behind or and use it for a decorating focal point.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

    The TV is mounted a little high so that it can been seen over the couch and bar from the kitchen.

    I really like the idea of hiding the Leaf Antenna behind the curtain! I also like the idea of carrying the stripes over with thin shelves.
  • 12 years ago
    I couldn't agree MORE with JAC Frances!!! Hide it. but, I love those stripes
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe this is an idea, play around with the placing of walldecoration, pictures, paintings and sconces.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    consider housing the tv in a slightly larger float frame ( also in blk ) Leave a 3 inch space around the tv before the frame starts. Hide all wires behind the frame . The tv then becomes a contemporary piece of art and the shadow box / float framing becomes a functional disguise for unsightly electrical cords. I would however lower the whole thing.
  • 12 years ago
    Don't like tvs on the wall. I think you should take it off the wall and put it on top of your unit, and no decoration around tv.
  • 12 years ago
    Search houzz for "ikea bookshelves TV" or "decorate with intention, helping yur TV blend in". There are lots of great ideas
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The proportion of the tv with the cabinet below is awkward. If you can't get a longer cabinet, then extend it by flanking it with ottomans. Then add no more than a total of 3 shelves of different lengths so that the look is asymmetrical but balanced (see second photo). Place two shorter ones on one side of the tv and a longer on the other. Place just a few accessories on each. The idea is to keep the look minimal.
  • 12 years ago
    I would take a custom build approach. IKEA sales individual pieces in the same family (Hemnes) that would frame the tv nicely.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    We offer shades that will cover your flat screen with art!
    Visit our website www.ParishEditions.com and see our product at NeoCon in Chicago, June 2014.
  • 12 years ago
    Go for simplicity! We have nothing on our wall but our Apple TV. Put one of your iPhoto albums on slideshow and you've got the best artwork that's both meaningful and full of color!
  • 12 years ago
    Moving to the striped wall, sofa middle, add things including indirect lighting..!
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting