Software
Houzz Logo Print
egubbs06

Sink faces the wall!

12 years ago
My kitchen sink faces a wall. I have hung shelves in the space, but it still seems odd. Does anyone have a good solution for making the space look bigger/ brighter?

Comments (25)

  • 12 years ago
    You've got a pretty dark paint color - not saying to change it, since I really like it, but that's helping the area seem darker.

    Maybe paint a "frame" around the tiles you've got up there? Might make it look more significant.
    egubbs06 thanked annmarie2
  • 12 years ago
    Short of a magnifying mirror and a flood lamp- I got nothing for ya;)
    egubbs06 thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    A plate rack? A glass cabinet with some pretties inside? A framed mirror? You definitely need under cabinet lighting to brighten up things! So, maybe do a light rail or valance with additional lighting hidden under it.
    egubbs06 thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you consider painting the kitchen, use that yellow in the painting I see in your hall.
    It is a nice kitchen, it will look bigger and brighter.
    egubbs06 thanked Stohlman & Kilner Remodeling Contractors
  • 12 years ago
    How about putting in a colorful backsplash behind the sink? Here are a couple of inspiration photos from others with the same dilemma (hover to expand photos)
    Palm Beach Gardens - Waterway House · More Info

    Kitchens by Julie Williams Design · More Info

    Sask Cres Kitchen · More Info

    Healdsburg Transformation · More Info
    egubbs06 thanked Denita
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Some sort of mirror should help magnify the space
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Stainless steel backsplash would brighten things up.
    Penn Valley · More Info

    Buena Vista Residence · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Don't do a mirror unless you enjoy watching yourself wash dishes.
  • 12 years ago
    I am waiting for Cassie to come suggest some abstract art for this location;))))))))))
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I agree with a nice back splash. You can even get tiles to make a nice piece of art for you to look at behind your sink. I also like tin back splashes & that would reflect some light. (I'm getting ready to put in the fake tin panels myself.) I don't think you need to paint if you put in a back splash.

    I can't see your overhead lighting, but that may be something you can change. I also like the idea of under cabinet lighting.

    Splash Decor Tile Mural, "Red Vineyard of Napa" by Sam Park · More Info

    mural back splash · More Info

    Rooster Mural Back Splash Stone Tile · More Info

    Mbros's Kitchen Remodels · More Info
    egubbs06 thanked chrisinky
  • 12 years ago
    The mural is a good idea. You don't necessarily have to get the traditional type, there are many different styles available.
    egubbs06 thanked Denita
  • 12 years ago
    I think the tile idea is a good one, doesn't even have to be that expensive!
    egubbs06 thanked Heather Cowie
  • 12 years ago
    Good lighting helps. And music! I have a cupboard with glass doors in the bank of cupboards over the counter, with glass shelves, so have filled it with all our glassware, and it helps to lighten up the area over the sink!
    egubbs06 thanked Diane Hieatt
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Maybe bright tiles , or bright paint.
    egubbs06 thanked megen20
  • 12 years ago
    A window pane mirror.
    egubbs06 thanked windingcreek_creations
  • 12 years ago
    Diane, I like that you said music. Too often overlooked as something that will make any room more interesting. I remember as a kid I woke up every morning to the smell of breakfast & the sound of country music on my mom's radio in the kitchen. I have an under mount radio in my kitchen now. Music would sure make doing the dishes not as boring!
    egubbs06 thanked chrisinky
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You need an interesting backsplash, maybe a mural theme, AND lots of lighting.
    egubbs06 thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • 12 years ago
    I think led tape lighting (armacost makes a good one) would go a long way to brightening things up. Then put in a decorative tile there-- I have many times oohed and ahed over tile designs in showrooms that are way "too much" for a big area but would be outstanding in a defined space like that. I would definitely NOT put in a mirror or a fake window or anything that suggests a fake window. Embrace what you have, make it beautiful-- no picture or mural or fake window is going to make that space look like it isn't facing a wall, imho. You'll draw attention to the no window if you try to recreate one.
    egubbs06 thanked Heather
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Yes Diane -- Music! Such a brilliant thought, I'm starting a new thread...
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/is-your-playlist-an-extension-of-your-home-dsvw-vd~900718
    egubbs06 thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • 12 years ago
    1. change wall color from brown to some shade of off-white or light gray that picks up a color in the countertop pattern

    2. Replace cabinets along the sink wall with open shelves. It's unclear for your post if you have tried this. There are none visible in your photo.

    3. Install under-cabinet, under-shelf lighting.

    4. Remove all the stuff on top of the cabinets.

    5. Install lights (consider led strip lights) on the top of the cabinet to illuminate upward.

    5. Move the refrigerator back so it does not stick out beyond the front the counters. If you can't do this, consider buying a smaller refrigerator that does not stick into the room so much.

    6. Consider a backsplash in light color glass tiles. Stay away from busy patterns that are so trendy right now. They will make the space look more cluttered and smaller.
    egubbs06 thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks quercus2, for mentioning the reason to do a plain backsplash...my open plan kitchen is busy looking already and I will eliminate all the fussy/busy tile backsplash ideas saved.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks so much for all of the comments. I do think I am going to tile the wall with something simple, as well as under cabinet lighting. I already painted the walls a brighter color, and am now considering painting the cabinets white to match the trim around the house. :)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Also painting the ceiling in gloss or semi gloss paint helps a great deal to bounce light around. Then add some rope lights (Home Depot, etc.) to the top of the cabinets.
    School House Kitchen · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Example of led rope lighting:
    Traditional Porch · More Info