Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maureen_walter

Dining Room Table Shape, Storage suggestions, overall design!

Maureen Walter
10 years ago
Would a round table work better in this space? Do you have suggestions for a unique storage unit/bar area? Eclectic, non-traditional design ideas needed! Thanks.

Comments (31)

• janeinfo
    10 years ago
    Love your painting and black console table with black framed pictures. However, as lovely as your antique sideboard is, it just does not go in this room. Also, is your dining set antique? If not, is there any chance of painting it black to match the console? I think the table runner might look a tad too traditional to go with your beautiful lighting fixture. Okay, to address your bar issue, I would go with a mirrored bar. And maybe put two glass buffet lamps, like these from Pier One, on each end. Beautiful room!
    Maureen Walter thanked janeinfo
  • boylstgs
    10 years ago
    If the room is square, go with a round table. If the room is a rectangle, go with the table you have. The table seems small. Do you have a leaf that you could use? Center the bar on the wall. I love the idea of painting the dining table and chairs black.
    Maureen Walter thanked boylstgs
  • despinach
    10 years ago
    I believe too a round table would be better for this room. For an eclectic feeling, I would like a round white with the chairs you already have.
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    10 years ago
    I have seen some super-cool vintage bar carts on Craigslist. They're small in scale, light and airy, and they would add tremendous character to this fantastic room. Check it out!
  • countyloyalist
    10 years ago
    Round table diameter could be larger than the width of your current table. A possible solution would be an oval table on a somewhat wider scale than your current piece with chair-backs and seats that echo the curve. T

I think you need to remove the wooden sideboard tucked into the corner . I would make a "bar" area by replacing your console (which is a good size but lacks the storage you want) by finding cabinetry about the same height. Cabinet doors will conceal your liquor and bar ware but provide a working surface for mixing drinks. Bookcases with doors work well; they are narrow, usually have adjustable shelving options and can still be topped by artwork on the wall. A tray on top can be anything from vintage kitsch to hotel silver to french country style for mixing drinks and preserving the cabinet finish.
    Maureen Walter thanked countyloyalist
  • Gretchen Maurer
    10 years ago
    I love your floral painting. I would pull that teal color out and paint either the table or the chairs that color...it would be fresh and a move away from everyone using reds.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The table and console look so slender and fragile with the coarse paneling on the walls. I'd go for something more substantial that can stand up to the massive chimney and its trim and the wide boards in the room.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I think the table could be bigger, perhaps something like a rustic farmhouse table. Along with that, perhaps something along the lines of this marble topped bakers table as a console table:
    http://www.icollector.com/Marble-top-iron-Bakers-Table_i14812735
  • PRO
    Ku Interior Design
    10 years ago
    They make square tables too - just a thought. Round would look very nice here.
  • Maureen Walter
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great ideas, and I'm having fun milling them over. Any suggestions on wood finish for table/shelving, natural or black? Room has no windows, but doorways on 3 of the 4 walls. So, light is limited. I do like Restoration hardware (who doesn't?). Also, do you think stained wood doorway frames (see 2nd photo) should be painted the same as the wall color, or white?
  • countyloyalist
    10 years ago
    I'd suggest a mirror over the fireplace if you lack windows, bearing in mind it should have something interesting to reflect (lighting fixture, artwork on opposite wall....). Since half the trim and wall treatment is all ready painted, if you continue to paint out the trim it leaves you free to put in a dining table that can be wood of any hue as you won't be competing with the trim, or painted wood. Or go for the gorgeous RH minimalist finishes (including your mantel). RH also has some terrific reclaimed natural wood mirrors......the curves of this one would certainly complement rounded tables in a similar finish (and the mantel replaced with reclaimed weathered barn beam).
  • Maureen Walter
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Beautiful mirror, Countyloyalist! Thank you for explaining why painting wood trim will tie the space together. We actually have a beam ready to install in place of the current mantel. Good ideas to think about. Thank you very much.
  • PRO
    GenuineAntiqueLighting.net
    10 years ago
    What does the rest of the space look like. Are there more doorways, walls? How big is the Room? Seems like the room might get busy with a Bar and Dining room table.You have a nice built in China Cabinet - would you want that to serve as your bar? Might want a gas fireplace insert if the fireplace is functional. Just some thoughts.
    Maureen Walter thanked GenuineAntiqueLighting.net
  • donnafdavis
    10 years ago
    No matter the "look" , a round table will contribute greatly to the interaction during meals. Our children/grandchildren often comment that they feel more a part of the conversation around our ugly huge round table. As we transition to a smaller house we are altering the table so it is a semicircle for just the two of us and flips open to the larger surface for the frequent family/guest meals.
    Maureen Walter thanked donnafdavis
  • azmaddyg
    10 years ago
    If the room is large enough, consider a square table that seats 2 people per side. Would make a nice counterpoint to the round light fixture, and a has the same conversational advantages as a round table while being a little less traditional.
  • Merry Zumwalt
    10 years ago
    I'm no pro, but lean towards the eclectic myself. I think it has a lovely, ship-shape look, totally organized and restful appeal. I would not paint the wood, it defines the space and let's your eye travel. I do agree, you need art or a large round mirror above the fireplace and the firebox itself should be functional. The side board/ buffet seems a little off. I would mimic the lean, long wood look around the doors the length of that wall within the room, if possible and more art above and accent lighting. A touch of dark ribbon or paint line around the ceiling fixture's shade would subtly tie it up, yet encourage your eye to travel. I think it's a lovely, eclectic, natural room!
    Maureen Walter thanked Merry Zumwalt
  • sandisoup
    10 years ago
    What about building a bar unit into that fake fireplace area?
  • gardenarian
    10 years ago
    Hmm. I like it the way it is. Lovely room.
    Maureen Walter thanked gardenarian
  • PRO
    Angelo Design
    10 years ago
    I think a round table would look great in here. A typical round dining table is 54". There are some that are smaller. Take measurements and see if that diameter will fit. Remember you will need some scoot back room for your chairs, but from what I can tell from the picture, it would fit.
    Maureen Walter thanked Angelo Design
  • Kat Norton
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I agree with the round table, but I would go quite contemporary with it. Say, a Wegner table and chairs and a really light-weight fireplace screen rather than the items placed in it. I might change out the painting also to something a little more serene. Remove the sideboard altogether. The black console is fine.
    Maureen Walter thanked Kat Norton
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Consider finding a cool old dresser and doing something funky with it. And then there are these:
    Capcana Buffet · More Info

Macral Design. Buffet Dining room. · More Info

Eclectic Buffets And Sideboards · More Info

Eclectic Buffets And Sideboards · More Info
  • PRO
    Should You Sell Or Should You Stay
    10 years ago
    Hi, it looks like this room has no windows and is in a big old stone house. Love your dining set, light fixture, walls and fire place. I would loose the runner and bowl, switch out the rug, paint the walls red (careful - the red matters) or a grey/green - if you don't like this idea then paint the room a warmer tone than it is now and also darker than the paint on the fireplace; move out the antique cupboard and box with tulips. Love the painting, you can take your clues and colors from it. Some black in smaller details works well with this.
    Put a mirror over the console table and a lamp on both sides. More pictures like you already have and move the black and whites elsewhere. If you don't use the fireplace, maybe place some chunky black or brown candle sticks with off white candles in there.
    Love the space - fantastic to work with. I can also see heavy (paisley) drapes over the doorways for more intimacy. I love to see this in dining rooms. The cheery stuff is for the breakfast room.
    Maureen Walter thanked Should You Sell Or Should You Stay
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • Maureen Walter
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I ended up going with a round table - love it - and a black and white 'theme'. I still need to add more decorative elements to the room. Open for more ideas!
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz