Software
Houzz Logo Print
fairviewbonnie

Dated dining

12 years ago
This room needs updating. I want to keep corner cabinets and plan to remove wallpaper....any other suggestions?

Comments (10)

  • 12 years ago
    Without knowing what the rest of your home looks like, it is a little tricky. For me, it is key this room wall colour flows with the rest of the house. If it was my room I would 1) update the chandelier like the first pic in your idea book, perhaps change the chairs to something cream upolstered. There is a lot of heavy dark wood in the room. Perhaps these chairs can become accent seats in other parts of the house? 2) Is that an imposing navy curtain to the right? Again, remove and consider a soft roman blind with curtains flanking each side of the window. Something neutral but textured to match the wall colour. I think the area rug is a little large. The side pieces of furniture don't need to touch it. There also seems to be a lot of brass accents- is that a favourite? I would keep the metal accents the same as the new chandelier. Good luck and have fun!
  • 12 years ago
    Remove wallpaper, replace lighting and rug with something fabulous, replace artwork with a beautifully framed mirror to reflect new fabulous chandelier. Pull a color from new rug to paint above chair rail.

    Formal Dining Room · More Info

    West Bloomfield Project - Traditional · More Info

    Traditional Dining Room · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Put a marble top or mirror top on the piece under the art ,add some sparkle to your new light fixture
  • 12 years ago
    Hi

    It can sometimes be helpful if you can give just a little more information, I find the more info you give, more people get involved in the 'room' dilemma chat

    Can you give the size of the room

    Can you post a few more pics from different angles

    What are you planning to replace wallpaper with? Wallpaper or Paint

    Have you looked at colours/samples yet, what have you seen that you like

    Do you use the room a lot

    What is on the floor of the room/colour

    I assume the table/chairs are staying (they are lovely) but it looks a bit big for the room with those units (I know you want to keep them) having more pictures of the room from other angles will give a better understanding of the real size

    IMO the room is lovely and just needs some tweaks, if your looking to just refresh -

    I'd paint in a nice light colour (from beige family)
    I'd put a gorgeous chandelier to brighten the room
    I'd update with a new rug
    I'd de-clutter the units (although the room accs do look minimal, i would place a gorgeous bowl of flowers on the table)

    Now these are just my opinions and I haven't given specific colours etc as I have been reading a lot of what the houzz designers say and it's definently an art.

    But before you begin please make sure you have a budget in mind, I have read threads where people 'get lost in what they are trying to do' because they don't have a 'goal' in mind

    Hope this helps. I'm sure an expert will put you on the right course with some of the answers to the questions above.
  • 12 years ago
    I think you can change up the feel of the room with just a few changes - getting rid of the dated wallpaper at the top & bottom of the walls will really help for starters.

    I would keep the walls a cream colour, as it goes well with the wood, but you could think about have an accent wall if you think it would work in the space?

    I'd also change the light fitting in the centre of the room - obviously what you change it to depends on what kind of feel you want to create.

    You could update the picture you have on your wall, either maybe have a gallery wall of pictures that are special to you, or go for some more modern artwork. Alternatively you could just get rid of the painting & have a few taller things on the little table underneath.

    I might also change the candles you have on your table for something a little more modern looking? Unless you are trying to create a kind of luxurious feel, in which case maybe leave them, and possibly find them a taller friend to tie them together a bit more!

    I think those little things would really go a long way towards updating your room. :)
  • 12 years ago
    That's beautiful, Mark :)
  • 12 years ago
    Nice formal pieces, but it's a bit heavy on furniture lined around the room, and really neutral.

    1 - Remove the piece under the picture unless it's absolutely essential to the room's functioning.

    2 - Add a patterned rug. A Persian or Chinese rug is the classic one, but a slightly modern geometric or floral could liven it up.

    3 - Yes, wallpaper is the big problem. Strip it and paint the wainscoting a color taken from the rug's scheme. Match the frieze area to the main wall color unless you can fine a spectacular frieze paper that goes with the rug.

    4 - Add color:
    RE-do the chairs with something that goes with the rug (they can be different, but shouldn't fight).

    Keep the chandelier and get colorful shades?
    Put some vividly colored pieces in the corner buffets?
    Line the cabinets with colored fabric?
    Redo the drapes to blend with rug and chairs? A simple panel instead of the elaborate cornice.
  • 12 years ago
    here's some inspiration..
  • 12 years ago
    Mark, I am loving your ideas! Thank you so much!!