Software
Houzz Logo Print
bamadawg

Lovely old matron needs a facelift!!

12 years ago
This home is in AL, built in 1898. We would want to keep true to era and style for the renovation. But what style is it? Is it Georgian? Is it trying to be craftsman? What style is it? What color should we paint? Would you add shutters? Add trim color around front door and windows? What about the Columns? (Too small? What Color?)
Thanks Houzzers!

Comments (18)

  • 12 years ago
    Your pics didn't seem to load.
  • 12 years ago
    Oh silly me!! Perhaps if I attach them it might help you help me!! ;-)
    Thanks!
    I'll send from my file on my computer if this is too small.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Shutters could be lovely. It appears you have some brick on the house. Are you open to painting the brick? Or update the brick with a type of stone? is the driveway in good shape or would it be a good time to update with pavers?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like to step back to look at the big picture then determine color secondary based on style I am wanting to achieve.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks! y'all. The yard is small, bisected by a concrete front walk that is in need of brightening (pressure washing) or such. The front porch floor is red 6x6 Mexican tile (inspire when that was added).
  • 12 years ago
    The foundation is on red brick piers and the remainder of the house is wood clapboard which is peeling away a century worth of paint layers! The detached 2-car garage is red brick. I'm not opposed to painting any of the brick. Yes, it appears it may be composite colonial revival/neoclassical. As for the landscape, we're open to suggestions (think low maintenance!)

    Thank you!
    Julianne
  • 12 years ago
    What a pretty, pretty house! Somehow it feels like the house should be white, with the red brick as is. If, at some point you could do brick steps up to a wood floored painted porch, it would be great. I think I might do a really simple shutter on the windows in navy blue, and paint the underside of the porch ceiling pale blue. The biggest bang for your buck would probably be to revise the landscape. Power wash the front walkway, and do a concrete stain in a blue/gray to freshen it up. Ditto on the driveway. I would take out the shrubs along the front walk, and do a new border on each side with boxwoods. If you like, you could leave a bit of extra space space on the walkway side of the boxwoods for annuals (white geraniums, maybe? Or marigolds?). Rather than have sheared shrubs up by the house, let them revert to their natural forms. Once they do that, you might edit by taking out every other one (whatever seems right), and put in something old fashioned like hydrangeas, but use the Endless Summer variety. A few hanging baskets on the porch, and maybe a hanging swing there on the far left side with some colorful pillows.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree that landscaping done properly would add loads of charm to your lovely home.
  • 12 years ago
    Wow! Thank you, nwduck! (Btw, Oregon Ducks fan?)--great feedback! The photo I attached is an earlier time, so the current shrubs are a bit gangly. And it does have a wide porch swing (for some reason on the right side, which blocks the Porte cochere to the porch!)--we'll relocate that to the left!). I love geraniums and hydrangeas. (But I dont want the huge, fast growing type that will become too large.) I dont have a current pic of the front--we're considering making an offer. Due to its age, one room (dining, in middle left side of house), has significant cracking at about 5' ht around the entire room)--we need to have a thorough inspection. And all the ceilings are popcorn--4800 sf of it, which I need to figure the removal and re-dry walling the ceilings into my renovation costs. But thank you for your tips. They are cost manageable, which helps to determine what costs we might plan for in rehabbing her!!
  • 12 years ago
    Lifelong Oregon fan, you bet! As far as the hydrangeas, that's why I recommended the Endless Summer ones. Great bloomers, and mine are totally size-manageable. Weird that it has popcorn ceilings. Must have blown it on the same time they did the tile along the front porch. Might just take scraping off (plaster ceilings underneath?), but takes a pro due to asbestos being common in that time frame. Might take a ceiling guy with you to the home inspection.
  • 12 years ago
    Go Ducks!! They took the NCAA indoor track and field championships!!! (My niece, a freshman duckling, is the 5'2 "white lightening" on the women's track team; events 100 and 4x4 100. Beautiful insis and out--and flies like a jet!!
  • 12 years ago
    ...but I digress. I'll def take your advice on the ceiling. We think the attic insulation is asbestos also--brownish small fuzzy pellets? The ceilings look more like a 70s job (yes probably same time the Mexican tiles were added to the porch
  • 12 years ago
    ANY IDEA WHY I CAN ONLY SEE 6
    Lines of text when I add a comment?!! I can keep adding text beyond 6 lines but have no idea where the words actually are! Ugh!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks y'all for the advice on style, paint, landscaping. Any insights how much asbestos insulation removal costs? Is it essential to remove it or can it be sealed inside the attic? Not sure what the flooring/ceiling material is btw
  • 12 years ago
    No idea how much that might be...seems like you could take a sample of the insulation and a bit off the popcorn ceiling and have it checked for asbestos by a local abatement company. Actually, maybe you could give a company like that a call to see if they can give you a rough per square foot estimate on removal.

    I know just who your little niece is. Very thrilled to have her choose Oregon. She is definitely in track country....I watched parts of the indoor. Incredible finish by the women to win the title!
  • 12 years ago
    NwDuck, thanks again for your insights. Def will get insulation checked for asbestos and remedies. Can't wait to make this ol girl sparkle again! Btw- thanks also re my niece. I typod earlier--her events are the 100 and 4x 100. She missed qualifying for the NCAA indoor meet by 1/300th of a second, coming off a hip flexor injury. She was heartbroken. But she's just a lil duckling still
  • 12 years ago
    Next year. Gotta streak going! As we like to say..."Be like a duck. Be calm on the surface, but paddle like hell underneath." :)