Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbougie

Does Eider white have pink understones

rbougie
10 years ago
Has anyone experienced pink undertones in Eider White?

Comments (16)

• melanietolan
    9 years ago
    Yes! I've been having a major problem trying to figure out why paint sample (quart size) looks like it has awful pink undertones on the wall. All the pictures I've found online of other people's finished rooms don't look pinkish at all! I finally figured it out after talking to a very helpful guy at SW. They don't use the same colors in the quart size as the gallon size. In the sample, the maroon it's supposed to have is substituted with magenta. The sample is made with black, brown and a few drops of magenta (the smallest quantity of magenta that the machine can dispense). The gallons contain black, brown and a few drops of maroon--in the same quantity used in the quart size! So that means that you are getting 4x the concentration of magenta in the quart size. No wonder my sample looks pink! UGH. Talking to SW customer service, they said the sample quarts of their whites (eider white is a warm light gray, but they consider it a white) aren't very reliable for accuracy. So I've wasted the last few weeks and lots of $ buying way too many paint samples. If I knew all this before, I would have just gone with Benjamin Moore, which gives reliable paint samples and in smaller quantities! I have a lot of paint to throw away now. Ultimately, I will probably go with eider white knowing that it won't have pink in it!
  • Porter Edun
    7 years ago

I had the same experience. A woman who helped me in my bathroom insisted it was the best for this look I was going for.... very pink undertone which did nothing for my bathroom remodel which mimics a Restoration Hardware type bathroom. I changed to Origami White by SW. A tad bit warmer, but it works well.

• aparkhill4064
    7 years ago
    It definitely has pink/mauve undertones. On our walls, it was a pink/beige color. Designer recommended it for hallways and living room in our new house and I have had everything repainted as it looked awful.
  • AlyandDrew
    6 years ago

YES it pulls pink. My entire first level and two story great room is done in eider white and I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I can't afford to have someone repaint it at this time but I don't want to live with the pink hue. We don't have lighting in yet - maybe that will help but I have a feeling it will make it worse.

• wegiemom
    6 years ago

Interestingly, no! I just painted my entire house eider white and pink was my biggest fear — I do not see any. It’s a warm off white with just the right amount of gray and ever so slightly brown undertones. We have wall to wall north and east windows. I am sure it is just a trick of the light, but fortunately in my place it works.

• AlyandDrew
    6 years ago
    I ended up repainting because I hated it. I went with SW Light French Gray and it’s perfect. I found out I don’t actually want white walls in my home. The eider looked white in some places and pinkish in others but never gray.
  • idealesse
    5 years ago

I wish I looked for this advice on Eider White before! I have a closet painted in eider white and it looks gray. I began to paint my laundry room, with the remaining paint, which has florescent lighting, and it looks pink. Then I bought a gallon of SW Misty, and that looks like purple-gray. I just wanted a simple gray, This is the first time in 30 years of painting that I noticed how the lighting can change the paint colors so drastically.

• Pj
    5 years ago
    Have any of you found a really great light gray from SW that doesn’t go too much to undertones? I’d love something that has a hint of gray, but mainly looks like a more white version of gray!!
  • AlyandDrew
    5 years ago
    This picture shows Light French Gray on every wall. I love this color but it is definitely gray. You can see how lighting will absolutely make the world of difference. Minus the floor lamp this is all natural lighting but you can see how different each wall looks based on how much light it has. I feel like Eider White but more evened our undertone wise is the color you are describing. When I had it on my walls there were a few that definitely looked white although it did not look gray at all in my home unless it was painted next to a gray swatch and then it looked super light gray but alone it did not...
  • AlyandDrew
    5 years ago
    Lol ok maybe my photos aren’t helpful because they all look darker in the photo than I real life but you’ll get my point about lighting...
  • AlyandDrew
    5 years ago
    What about On The Rocks? We used that upstairs. In one of these pictures you can see the difference between that and alight French Gray. Again.. camera is darkening these a lot.
  • jcooper6921
    3 years ago

I love SW “On the Rocks”. I think it’s the perfect neutral light gray

• susan dang
    3 years ago

I have the same problem with eider white. My walls all look noticeable pale pink instead of a white grey. We do have warm orangey yellow 90’s hardwood floors though. I had no idea there was magenta in eider white or I would have never chosen it. Entire house is this color except the 2 boys bedroom which thankfully I chose I light blue! Not sure what to do abt the pink as we paid 4500$ to have it professionally painted and can not afford to pay again. Not easy doing ourselves as we have open floor plan with the very high ceilings. I dread walking into the house 😫

• Denise Moreno
    last year

I loved Eider white in the sample size! I painted it in several places to make sure I liked the undertones and to see the way it looked in different light on different walls. Then when I got 5 gallons of it and painted a big spot on a wall already painted with the sample, I was in shock! It was pink! The smaller spot is the sample and the big patch in the picture is from the 5 gallon size! They told me the formula in the 5 gallon is different and contains burgundy (accounting for the pink hue)! The paint store said they had a warning on their computer, but did not relay this! I am having them redo them the 5 gallons with a color match to the sample color! A painter in the store said the 1 gallon looks different from the 5 and the sample size as well!

Don't know why they had to mess it up in the bigger sizes! It looks really different!

• idealesse
    last year

Eider White has pink to purple undertones. I found out the hard way too.