Software
Houzz Logo Print
foxyart

Painting over knotty pine?

12 years ago
The walls, trim, floors and everything is knotty pine! Would love to bring it up to date. Can anyone suggest what to do? I am considering a light gray/tan glaze on the walls to tone it down and accent the trim. Help!

Comments (35)

  • 12 years ago
    Our beach cottage has tongue and grove walls and ceiling...the "living" floor walls are all pickled. The trim and ceiling are a creamy color...very easy to maintain.
    foxyart thanked Libbmom
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks a bunch, would love to see it.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Keep in mind that the existing finish on the wood may require a lot of stripping and sanding before any paint can be applied. The muted colors sound great!
    foxyart thanked Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    Definitely paint it ..... Light shades of pearl greys and off white all in matt
    foxyart thanked sofia Garcia
  • 12 years ago
    I like the idea of toning down the "all pine" room although I do NOT think it's a good idea to do all the walls. Personally, I would "accent" but painting the cabinets and beams and or a feature wall, painting all the walls would be just too much. What should you paint? I recommend you have someone that knows what there doing come and look at your home as a whole and make recommendations as to what walls or cabinets, etc. they would paint. It's worth the extra cost.
    foxyart thanked williamroy
  • 12 years ago
    Hope these come thru...copied off rental realty site...
    foxyart thanked Libbmom
  • 12 years ago
    looks like have to do individually...
  • 12 years ago
    # 3 hope this helps
    foxyart thanked Libbmom
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you! Great photos. I can't reach the ceiling (this house has a loft, and it is really high), so I was thinking just a few walls to start with. Like the idea of having an expert's opinion. I will probably only get one shot at doing this. Just saw someone's before and after kitchen. They painted the cabinets a sage green and it looks awesome!
  • 12 years ago
    Can you look at the photo I posted and suggest which walls should be painted?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Start with just the kitchen cabinets and then reassess.

    Painting the trim, doors, and beams white could give a cool Scandinavian look. Update the light fixtures and window treatments to look less country.

    My house has a ton of knotty pine in it too. I painted it (almost) all out a creamy white. It's a big job.
    foxyart thanked mmilos
  • 12 years ago
    The whole house needs updating. We are buying the house and this photo is from the day we first looked at it. LOTS of work ahead...I can't wait!! Yippeeeee!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    mmilos - please explain "big job" for foxyart. This will help set realistic time lines, budgets and what you discovered as "set backs". It always help to hear it from a DIYer who has already gone the distance!
    foxyart thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Our whole cabin at the farm is knotty pine. We painted the doors black, black hardware, black front and back doors, black counter tops, sinks, and faucets. Well you get the idea - the accent color is black. It looks good against the pine. Try it on something small and see how you like it. When I get the sofa I want - it could be brown or maybe red. Right now I am using my mothers old sofa.
    Personally, I like the knotty pine for a cabin. We even left the branches on some of the beams to make it look more like a tree house!
    Oh, and I forgot to mention - our floor are wood too. We stained them a dark color - not black - but very dark.
    We have track lighting - and wall sconces. My granddaughter calls it rustic/chic style.
    foxyart thanked margaretk
  • 12 years ago
    I actually like the look of "wood" ceilings...I agree with mmilos...would start with cabinets and then reassess...if you like the sage green cabinets...that's a good starting point.
    foxyart thanked Libbmom
  • 12 years ago
    If you're debating about it obviously you shouldn't care about it. But you are ruining a very nice wooded interior. Wood is coming back more so than ever, it has such depth and so much natural appeal to it. I don't think you're serious person. Find a different house, you're ruining everything about that house that makes it charming and true.
    foxyart thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    There is nothing more tacky than painted paneling, looks cheap. If you're not going to drywall it don't touch it. Unless you want a cheap esthetic that cries we don't have money or we didn't know what we were doing.
    foxyart thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    I agree completely with ManLandLandMan. Just add an accent color - change the furniture, get some new lighting, replace the appliances with stainless - but don't do anything to the wood. It is the heart of your house. Rustic is coming back. Anybody can have a white wall - but this is stunning. Find a way to make it more stunning. If it is a beach house - maybe you could make it look like the cabin on an old ship.
    foxyart thanked margaretk
  • 12 years ago
    Beach Cottage Living Room · More Info

    The use of white trim around doors and windows really breaks up all the pine
    foxyart thanked Judy M
  • 12 years ago
    I dunno. We have a truly random section of knotty pine paneling just inside the front door and that stuff is getting painted as soon as I can get around to it. But this house is not cabin like at all and doesn't really lend itself to the whole rustic theme. (It's a 1930s American Four Square - transitional style is much more appropriate for the space and our style than rustic cabin in the woods.)
    foxyart thanked KD
  • 12 years ago
    Is this the kitchen you mentioned?
    Kitchen · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you ManLand LandMan and margaretk and everyone else who has responded. I agree that painted paneling looks cheap. As I said, this is how the house looked the day we first looked at it, so it still has all of the previous owner's furnishings (all of which are terribly out dated). I will wait until my furnishings are in the house, new appliances and all, then repost a photo...then see what suggestions come my way. Hope you will give your opinions then also.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Judy M,
    The kitchen that I mentioned was from another person's post that showed their before and after. The pic you just posted is not it, but I do like the "lightness" of the room.
  • 12 years ago
    Living Room · More Info
    foxyart thanked Judy M
  • 12 years ago
    Found the pics that I was talking about.
  • 12 years ago
    I think the white sheetrock ceiling ( and recessed lighting) in the kitchen photo helps to lighten the room up.
  • 12 years ago
    The blue cabinets look good. That is very nice. The dark color really makes the wood stand out.
  • 12 years ago
    Try whitewash. Search Houzz for examples. Here are a couple pictures. Really changes the look of the room.
    foxyart thanked nramsey1
  • 12 years ago
    Wow! That is beautiful. Do you know what was used?
  • 12 years ago
    I'd whitewash the trim white, but keep the walls pine. Hang a lot of framed art. It could be cool, like the liv room in Judy M's photos
    foxyart thanked keenplanner
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I agree. I am a wildlife artist and have a lot of cool furniture which will really go well with the house. Really looking forward to putting it all together!
  • 5 years ago

    I wouldn't do it! I would love to have the knotty pine!

  • 5 years ago

    Up date your furnishings and appliances it would look brand new!