Software
Houzz Logo Print
skylinewater

Need help converting comic book artist table to end table

12 years ago
My uncle was a cartoonist. After he died, my aunt gave me his little drafting table. For years, it was in my basement while my children played on it, scribbled on it, etc. The kids are all grown. For sentimental reasons, I would now like to use it as an end table. I had many layers of paint stripped from the base and it reminds me of some of the industrial looking tables I've seen for sale in Restoration Hardware, etc. My problem?
I cannot seem to find anyplace to buy a table top. I can't use glass because it seems too dangerous with grandchildren around. I'd like wood and I realized that I'd find the most use for a drop leaf table like the photo below. I already have an antique drop leaf end table in another room and it is the perfect size. (See photo)
I have searched everywhere for custom furniture makers, cabinet makers, woodworkers. One person called back and said the price for a table TOP starts at $1,000. I can buy unfinished wood at Home Depot, but I live in an apartment. I don't know where I could stain it.
Doesn't anyone make normal price table tops? I tried every dinette and unfinished furniture store I could find. No one makes table tops!!!!
Is there a reasonably priced person out there who could make a nice, smooth, dark wood drop leaf table top for a few hundred dollars?

Comments (4)