Software
Houzz Logo Print
travel_catchlight

area rug?

12 years ago
Would a area rug pull the room together? If so what color??? or should I try something else?

Comments (17)

  • 12 years ago
    An area rug would do wonders!
  • 12 years ago
    Do you have curtains to up?
  • 12 years ago
    The sofa is a great style ad the two chairs on the wall work great, but the fusia wing chair and ottoman probably should go in another room.
  • 12 years ago
    Can you get stuff away from the wall a bit? Then a rug would really center the room, IMO.
  • 12 years ago
    A large rug with red and navy blue pattern would both tie in the cool gray with the warm chairs but also provide a "grounding" color to focus the room and ground the floor. Right now everything is lovely but none of it is the focal point. A rug is a great idea!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    There are soft gray drapes behind the sofa.... the sunlight is making them look white in the photo. The sofa is about 23 years old I had it recovered a couple of years ago. I can pull the furniture away a little bit... but not sure what color of rug to try
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi! I think that you are most definitely right on with thinking that an area rug would help this room! I think I would play up the yellow flowers. Here are a few ideas for you:

    http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/wayfair/charlotte-yellow-rug/

    http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/wayfair/le-soleil-ivory-yellow-rug/ (LOVE this one!)

    http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/world-market/yellow-lattice-indoor-outdoor-rugs-tassels/

    Hope this helps you!
  • 12 years ago
    oh... I never thought of adding yellow! I just purchased those flowers... they will be gone in a few days.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Maybe try getting some fake ones from hobby lobby and placing them in there. I really think it would brighten the area up a lot! :)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You mentioned trying something else.......I would love to see the couch on the wall, under the art there. Put those chairs in front of the window....love that it would be opened up then. I think there would be room for the ottoman with the chair then, too, instead of under the console. Put the lamp between the chairs instead of under the tv.
  • 12 years ago
    Definitely get an area rug. You want one that is longer than your sofa on it's long side. Make sure at least the front legs of the sofa are on the rug. Ditto any chairs, whether at the end or opposite. For example, if your sofa is 8' long, get a rug that's something like 8x10, and run it the long way in the room.

    Try bringing samples of the fabric (or pillows if you need!) with you when you are looking. Colors are tricky to match in your mind. Keep an open mind about pattern. I had my heart set on a particular style when we were looking, but something totally different was perfect for our furniture.

    By the way the detail on your ceiling is FABULOUS! Maybe try to echo that shape with a rug that has a similarly shaped border. Not the edge of the rug, but the pattern itself.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Probably more suggestions than you want, but what if you:

    Removed all the wall decor and painted your media wall a darker gray than the sofa; invest in a round coffee table; put each of the matching chairs on either side of the new table; build in an entertainment wall for the t v and then buy a room sized rug. Everything else is gone from the room.
    Traditional Home Theater · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Area rug without a doubt!
  • 12 years ago
    I can definitely see a classic oriental style rug. But I do also love the idea, earlier posted, about swapping the sofa and chairs.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think the tv needs to be lowered just a tad. Some rug ideas:
    Flat-Weave Tribal Pattern Wool Gray/Red Area Rug (8 x 10) · More Info

    Harlequin- (HQL-8010) · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Float the sofa in the center of the room, facing the end wall where the TV should be above a low credenza. Put the sofa table on the wall where the bird is now. Hang the mirror on the right end of it and place your tallest lamp on the left end. Place the two chairs right and left of the sofa, facing each other over the coffee table - all anchored with a rug. The wing chair and hassock can angle in a corner left or right of the TV and credenza with a side table and lamp of appropriate height. The art and decor will then need to be reorganized.