Software
Houzz Logo Print
christina8822

Opinions on tile choice please.

12 years ago
We're redoing our kitchen. As you can see in the pictures it's a lot of white. We can't do anything about the floors. Cabinets are white and the counters are going to be White Mountain quartzite. That is one of the slabs in the photo. In order to add some punch to the room we're thinking of this bold, blue glass subway tile, with white grout to really delineate each tile. Inspiration was a photo here on Houzz. I'm starting to second guess myself though!

Opinions?

(Note that the fridge doesn't actually stick out that far, it was pulled out to do something behind it and not pushed all the way back.)

Comments (41)

  • 12 years ago
    Your kitchen is so pretty. I think the subway tile would look nice as a backsplash. What is making you second guess?
    christina8822 thanked J Gregory
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks. I don't know why I'm dithering, I think it's the dark color. I'm scared it will be all I see when I look at the room. Silly probably, we used to have black counters and they looked fine.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Darren, that is very beautiful tile! I'll have to investigate that shape. I don't care for the super skinny long tiles that are so popular now but I like this shape very much.
  • 12 years ago
    Please share your final result, would love to see it!
    christina8822 thanked Darren Hart
  • 12 years ago
    Love your white kitchen. It's beautiful! Just remember that the blue will be there for years to come so you need to like it in 10 years also. I think the punch of blue will give it a great look though. Maybe bring the blue into runners to tone down the floor. Beautiful! I love it!
    christina8822 thanked janicedonato
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I'm a big fan of intense blues and whites together, and I think the tile will look beautiful and very striking. But please be sure that striking is what you want over the long term. I have to admit that if it were my kitchen I would pick up the soft gray in the countertop for the tile color. But I like very subtle, minimalist color palettes in kitchens, and many would find my palette boring. But if you decide you want something more neutral, you could always bring in bright blue accents with vases, teapots, and other small appliances rather than the tile. That would allow you to change the accent color in the future if you ever grew tired of the blue. Or you could just embrace the blue tile and make a bright, cheerful statement!
    christina8822 thanked feeny
  • 12 years ago
    Found the photo that was our inspiration for the backsplash:
    Contemporary Kitchen · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I really like Darren's inspirational pic. the back splash compliments the appliances.
    For me the blue black splash would get old quickly, even though I love the blue! Kitchens are for there a long time before a redo.

    I would use that color in my accents around the room. Maybe lighting over the counter or table, fabrics, bowls, counter appliances, but that's just me.

    I see you have open shelving and glass doors, that is where I would also put my blue accessories in.

    Easy to change out when you want to change up the color.
    christina8822 thanked njmomma
  • 12 years ago
    What do you think of going neutral with the backsplash? Possibly white bevel subway tile and the. Painting the walls a nice blue color? I just don't want you to get sick of the backsplash down the road. Just a thought...
    christina8822 thanked Jennis
  • 12 years ago
    Here's a gorgeous photo I found with similar counters and white cabinets.
    christina8822 thanked Jennis
  • 12 years ago
    Or painting the walls that beautiful blue. Paint is easier than tile to change out.
    christina8822 thanked janicedonato
  • 12 years ago
    Just got a crick in my neck! ;-)
    christina8822 thanked njmomma
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love your idea of the deep blue with the white. What I would do differently is to use a grey grout nearer to the tile colour rather than the white. Unless your tiles are laid to perfection and grouted so, you will find your eye drawn to any minute imperfection. Let the bevel on the tile and the way the light catches it define the edges rather than a white line around every tile.
    christina8822 thanked Anonymous
  • 12 years ago
    love the colors. if your kitchen is small depending on light....the tile may be too dark. i like that you are using color with the white cabinets though!
    christina8822 thanked tracey330
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Jessica, I like the idea of white subways but that was vetoed before it ever got off the ground. "It will look like a public restroom!" was the opinion on that and it hasn't wavered. I got my way on the counters so I'm willing to give up on the white subways.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Feeny. At this point I think I'm ok to go bold and I like the idea of patterned runners. My kitchen is not huge. If we fall out of love with it in ten years it's not a crisis. A backsplash is a lot less commitment than a counter. I'm still trying to figure out how my little kitchen has 60 sq. ft. of countertops! How do people with giant kitchens afford it? Yikes!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the grout tip Judith, I'll certainly take that into consideration. It's not something I had thought of.
  • 12 years ago
    I love your choice of blue and your inspiration pic! I also love Darren's example with the softer green backsplash! But, with your white floors, I think your blue might be just the right answer. I can't wait to see pics!
    christina8822 thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    Countertops arrived today and looked great for the ten minutes they were in the house. Two cracks were found so they were rejected and sent back. Trying to be zen about it.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Well, at least you got a preview. I admire your being zen about it. I'd just be pissed off.
  • 12 years ago
    We inherited a navy blue tile backsplash and I don't like it at all. It is very dark and everything that is put against just disappears. I also think you might tire of such a strong colour/contrast with the rest of your finishes, which are all quite classic. I agree with the suggestions to use a more neutral backsplash and bring in the navy via paint, window treatments, table runners, dishes, etc. Good luck!
    christina8822 thanked Melodie
  • 12 years ago
    It's a really beautiful kitchen.
    I like the idea of contrast also. If you can't decide, I would paint the backsplash for now and let it sit. The color would depend on your overall palette in the rest of your house, but I like the idea of a soft to slate grey and also the navy palette is beautiful. I would trying throwing down a square dark navy/black rug right in that area where in the first photo. I think maybe the issue you are having is that the floor has a beige -warm like tone in it, and the rest of kitchen touches like the handles and grey in the marble slab counter have cool tones. I also love the idea of those new cement square tiles with moroccan patterns for the backsplash in all pale grey and white patterns--with the look of random patterns. It could be just the snap you are looking for. To me, the solution would depend on the feeling of the rest of the house overall. Lastly-if the look of your house is more zen and organic--and you see your counter tops holding glasses of fresh herbs by the window sill--would a grass cloth work or something other than tile? A white subway tile with dark grey grout? A wallpaper? You need to think about how you want the room to feel overall. What's the lighting like? Also, the window might be a focal point but I can't tell what it looks out onto by the photo. Does it face a garden--sunsets? Can a vine trail up? All of these things would impact the feeling of that room and the decisions I would make regarding details- color and mood.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Nice looking cabinets. I think a blue, or blue grey backlit glass would look interesting as the backsplash...something different than everyone else has. Make sure it goes with your countertops.
  • 12 years ago
    Did you ever think of black chalkboard paint. I have it and have friends that copied it. You can write on it , it will give a neutral but dark contrast, and you can always paint or tile over it. My daughter had the blue tile in her home in California loved it then hated it over time because of limitations.
  • 12 years ago
    I think the blue will be lovely.....I would go for a grey myself, but that seems to be my color this year lol.
  • 12 years ago
    I'd go for grey too I'm afraid. It needs to be a good long term choice
  • 12 years ago
    I feel the backsplash tiles do not look wonderful with the counter top.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Our 'Sky' blue would look incredible in this space. If you like this or any of our other colors please contact us so we can help you get a few samples for comparison!
    Glass Tile Backsplashes by SubwayTileOutlet · More Info
    Sky Blue Glass Subway Tile 3" by 6" · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Love your kitchen. That blue tile is amazing! It is a big commitment, the tile will certainly be the 'standout'. But it's such a classic blue. The the tile is very unique. I think it'll be amazing. You can however paint the tile floor. You could go with a stenciled pattern in dark blue, to soften the backsplash. Add in blue drapes, or even a stenciled pattern on the ceiling. Push the blue around the room, but in small skinny amounts. Adding a little bit of balance and making the cabinets the stars.
    Love it. Go for it!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We're back to square one on the counters. The stone yard called today and said all the slabs they have of the stone we chose have the inclusion that cussed the cracks. I'm so frustrated right now. We've been without a kitchen since February. I haven't posted pictures since it's such a mess but this kitchen is open to the family room and an eating area. The walls are painted a pale grayish blue (BM silver mist, BM super white trim.) Drapes are toile. There are big (ugly) sliders and a big window looking out to the back porch and pool. Probably calls for something very traditional but we're over that. The old backsplash was white with some painted accent tiles.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    christina8822,

    Your kitchen looks great so far! I put some ideas together for a backsplash that are a little less traditional.
    http://www.build.com/favorites/white-kitchen-backsplash-3111?source=fav_hzz_3111

    Good luck with finishing your kitchen!

    Erica
  • 12 years ago
    That's disappointing!!! How about a light quartz to give you a similar look?
  • 12 years ago
    I'd love quartz Ann but haven't found one in my budget. The stone yard says they have one that might suit. I'm going to go look on Friday.
  • 12 years ago
    Be brave. It will be striking. You have laid in the perfect foundation for it. Great job in your choices. Well planned.
  • 12 years ago
    Love my neutral backsplash! Take a look at my cobalt blue and yellow accents.
  • 12 years ago
    Well done bostonstyle! I like the pop of color in front of neutral. You can always change it up when the mood strikes
  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful!!!! Fabulous decision!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Spent all day visiting stone yards. We finally found a Fantasy White quartzite. Fingers crossed that all goes well with it this time! Also, if anyone is in the market for Calacatta Oro, this book matched pair of slabs can be yours for under $2000! I saw them on clearance in one of the stone yards. I was seriously tempted! Oh, the grayish slab is what we chose.
  • 12 years ago
    I love duck egg blue with white kitchens. What about glass splash back panels in duck egg?
  • 12 years ago
    Things have become more complicated. I went and purchased a sample of paint the same color as our proposed tile. I put it up and we do like it. I'd rather go light to be honest but I've been outvoted and I do love the tile.
    That said as you can see we do not have the dark blue on the wall with the window. I think it would make it feel as though the room was closing in on us if it was on that wall. So now I have to figure out what to do with that wall. I'm going to need some sort of trim where the wall meets the counter.
    Suggestions? Anyone know a good source for thin marble edge tiles? Just a wood quarter round?
    Help!