Software
Houzz Logo Print
elysegr85

Goodbye 70's hello now! Ideas for lounge room reno

12 years ago
We have just bought this late 70's gem, this room is our downstairs family room which has an existing kitchen and dry bar and we are looking to convert it to a second kitchen and living area (bye bye dry bar and ugly existing kitchen) as there is a bathroom and bedroom also on this floor (self contained living)
We have lovely waterviews and a large deck that extends from the sliding doors so we want the room to capture this (so we'll invest in new sliding doors).

I think mum (who will be living there) is keen for neutral tones, she wants to cover the brick (say in gyprock) and she likes coastal theme (so lots of white, grey) and recently fell in love with the couches (see pics) which have been promptly bought ;)
The kitchen only needs to be small (she doesn't want an oven) as she can use the upstairs one if required.

I'd love to get some design ideas from those out there in houzz land because you've all been so helpful in the past with some great ideas.

p.s the budget is not too tight (say $20,000) but I guess we don't want to overcapitalize!

Thanks :)

Comments (14)

  • 12 years ago
    I should add that the other wall (which isn't visible here) is completely brick
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for your input, yes replacing the existing sliding doors is a must. Wooden flooring is what she is after so you are on the money :)
    I look forward to the day that the green shagpile carpet is faint distant memory :)
    How do people paint bricks? Like a white wash?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    ha the funny thing is i know people who would love that carpet. are they real bricks or fake plastic tile sections of bricks? not so much a white wash just painting them, google it, or ask in hardware store for best paint for interior brick work. ive not done it just seen it done.
    they would need a good rub first with a wire brush get any dust etc off, i know a few friends at home in england who has small cottages etc and this is quite common in the kitchens to do.
    http://www.goodbyehousehellohome.com/2012/05/decor-coaxing-paint-that-ugly-brick.html
    this was just the first link i found on google. though i dont agree with her brush choice a good exterior wall brush would do
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Painting the brick is great way to get a completely different feel quickly and cheaply, there is plenty of masonry paint on the market - I would go light, and then its just all about the prep.
    With regards to the kitchen I have to agree with the above comments a light coloured wood panelled door will stick with the coastal theme I would the go for a light wood top trying to pick out 'driftwood' tones.
    As far as the layout goes it seems a shame to rip out the dry bar! - but I can see why it wont work anymore, sticking with the open plan large island solution is essential to making the overall space work with the large wall of windows/doors you have down one side, and making the most of the views!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the comments, I'll try talk mum around to testing the brick paint idea, I know initially when I suggested it she wasn't a fan, however was told by colleagues to keep the wood panelling on the other side of the room. Would the kitchen be best placed where the dry bar now is? Or it's existing position? It only needs to be a small kitchen, perhaps a small dining table could be nearer to the back wall?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Love that sofa!!! Paint the brick a light color. Consider replacing carpet (awful) with laminate and area rugs... Change out lighting qirh warm tone LEDs. Get a ceiling hugger fan that is nice. Paint the paneling light... It is so dark in two of your pics, we cannot see what is going on there. Good luck.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    though is is hard to get a real feel for the room without a rough layout, plan, i think either a small kitchen where the bar is running along the wall with an island would be really nice and this could also be the dinning soloution or you could have a small table. if your really want a table maybe go for an L shape kitchen following the wall around with the tabel area in the middle, I would also consider keeping the wood pannel for ease, (not finding something horrendous behind which the last people covered up with the wood, and cost, but i would try sanding a small section to see how it comes up, it could even be whased with a light blue, or white to help add the beach house sort of feeling. with some nice wall lights, maybe a large mirrior (or a vintage map of the coast line, or area - normaly can find on google then print larger) with sofa under it, would look really nice! ceiling spot lights sunk into the ceiling would look subtle of course LED for our friend the enviorment. then with some simple feature pendant lights as suggested before.
  • 12 years ago
    First, I'd paint the panelling before I'd paint the brick. Second, I think you might find your budget eaten pretty quickly by new floor, replacement doors, and a new kitchen. Assuming the current kitchen has plumbing and electrical and venting, I'd try to reuse as much of those utilities as possible in the new design.

    On an unlimited budget, I'd replace the sliders with a Nanawall--
    NanaWall SL45 · More Info
    --but in the real world, I'd look at French doors.

    And while I love the sofa you/she chose, it doesn't have a very beachy feel. However, with the unfinished bricks, maybe some rustic modern case goods, and lighter walls and soft goods, this could be a rockin' room.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for a those ideas, I'm not sure if you can get nannawalls in Australia, do they differ from bifolds? We will def get new balcony doors of some sort and French is a good option too as the balcony isn't narrow
    The carpet will be the first thing that goes and a wood floor (or wood laminate) will go down.
    The comment about the lounge not being beachy is right but I'll keep with the light neutral colours. I wanted to share another few pics as to how amusingly hideous the kitchen is. If it's possible we'll try put the kitchen where the dry bar is, as the sink is down that end anyway. Island bar is ideal but would that still work with the kitchen in the corner? I can kinda see that it would. Is the wood panelling worth sanding back to see what it looks like without that varnish or a straight paint over?
  • 12 years ago
    My friends have asked for a 70's themed house warming so we can enjoy the glory of this room one more time before it's ripped apart :)
  • 12 years ago
    The vintage coastal print idea is great- thanks! Groveraxle you had some great ideas, what is the thinking about painting the wood panels first before attempting the brick?
  • 12 years ago
    I like exposed brick. It has an earthy, natural feel. So I would wait to decide on painting the brick because, once you've done it, there's no going back.

    That said, I like wood, too...sometimes. The wood here I don't find very attractive. It's not the worst I've seen, but it does have a 70s vibe. I would either rip it off and drywall it, or drywall over it, or sand it and see what you've got and then maybe even whitewash it.

    BTW, don't you sometimes wonder who EVER thought that carpet was attractive? When I redid the kitchen in my 1910 house, I found one layer of linoleum that was black and red and green on a mustard ground with crest-like designs. What were they thinking? (Sorry for the digression.)

    Anyway, deal with the walls last. They'll look a lot different once you demo the rest of the room.