Software
Houzz Logo Print
coybrown29

need opinion with exterior colors and help on interior colors

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
I have a new rustic texas home under construction. The home is a stucco/ sandstone exterior interior will have a med-dark brown real wood cabinets. Living room 22' ceilings with large dark real wood trusses. Xl Large fireplace as a focal point. Brown stained floors. Here is my question for help. Colors. Wife and I are trying to keep home rustic as it sits on many acres on a mountain/hill side over looking a large canyon. I will attach color palette. We are thinking this off- green (laurel) as the stucco. Dark brown (fudge) for exterior trim and then the mixtures of browns and oranges from sandstone. Interior. Same dark brown ( fudge) as doors, trim, casing and crown molding. With a med tan wall color (network). Can I get everyones opinions. Thanks greatly

Comments (18)

  • 12 years ago
    It seems to me the green and chocolate may not be subtle enough for your setting, and the bright natural light of Texas. I think I would consider doing at least 2 tones lighter so you blend a bit more with the landscape and sandstone (which is usually pretty subtle colorations). I'd take my cue from the greens and browns already in the surrounding landscape. Not sure these are right, but, as for an example, Benjamin Moore Aurora borealis (green), and Wynwood (brown).
  • 12 years ago
    here is where thebhouse is on lot. has multiple greens through out with different oaks, elms and many cedars. for whatever reason it may show upside down. ive tried posting every which way.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You got it the very first time! (If you want, you can just delete your duplicate posts by going into the upper right hand corner of the post until the edit-delete pops up.) What a great site! I guess I still think the colors you have are a little intense....you want to blend, more than pop out, I would imagine. Before I chose, I would put some paint colors in a pretty sizeable patch on some wood. Like 3'x3' in size. Prop them up on site, stand back, and imagine that color magnified in size against the background. Whatever you choose, there's going to be a heck lot of it!
  • 12 years ago
    nwduck not a bad idea. what about interior choice. anyone else with opinions.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi! I think I would purchase a few small accent items in different colors of green and see how you like them with the brown. Here are a few ideas:
    http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/world-market/distressed-green-3-bottle-wine-rack/

    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/novica-classic-green-celadon-ceramic-vase/

    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/green-sprouts-throw-pillow/

    Hope this helps you!
  • 12 years ago
    The green is exterior only the network with fudge trim are interior colors im most confused about. I really would like to just stain doors and trim like cabinets but its $15k extra for stain grade. So im just curious how the painted fudge brown trim and doors would look. Other options would be go with a lighter tan for trim but im affraid I wouldnt get the rustic feel like the fudge trim and doors.
  • 12 years ago
    Commenting again in the hopes this moves up higher in line to get more opinions! As far as the interior goes, it seems like you should pick with the floors in mind. Do you have a sample of your floor stain on the wood? I'd lay the wall color and fudge pieces on that to judge. Personally, I like the fudge for the use you've mentioned, and the only thing about the wall color is that I might choose one very close to what you've got, but maybe a little warmer.
  • 12 years ago
    thanks. the Network is actually a warmer tan than it appears in swatch. thanks for your help and hopefully I can get more views and opinions.
  • 12 years ago
    Libradesigneye: Need your astute color help! Coybrown29: This seems like a better color. You might try one tone lighter on the same "color strip" as well. In the picture of the house you want to match, do you see how the brown is not quite as dark as the Fudge paint? That's kind of what I was getting at with the Wynwood suggestion. It's almost like you want a kind of "sun faded" effect, I think.
  • 12 years ago
    here is next shade down. do you think dark brown trim would look bad with toned down green.
  • 12 years ago
    How about using Thatch Brown with Artichoke, or Umber with Oakmoss? Still browns, and seem the intensities would be similar.
  • 12 years ago
    not sure of it matters NWduck but the shingles are a dark brown and another reason the wife wanted the darker brown trim. this is harder than designing the house.
  • 12 years ago
    It's hard to know without seeing a rendering of the house. If the roof is very dark brown, and the trim is dark brown, visually they might just bleed in together. (That is, you can't distinguish the roof edge from the trim line.) If you have some pretty trim work, you might want it to blend, but not disappear. Does that make sense?
  • 12 years ago
    good point. here is the color of what my cabinets will be. whats your opinion of fudge or darker trim color running beside it.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Sure seems like that would work, as that very rich dark brown is running through the cabinets. Whatcha know, I didn't suggest something else! :)
  • 12 years ago
    thanks for all your help.
  • 5 years ago

    to be rather blunt: 3,1,2 was my preference