Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marci4

Jeff Lebowski Dilemma!

Marci
9 years ago
Like Jeff Lebowski, we need a rug to tie the living room together. The furniture is quite neutral, all in muted tones. The throw pillows are all of different patterns, but again, quite muted in tone. The focal point of the room is the fireplace and the print above it ("Primeval," by Adolph Gottlieb). We will be switching out the lighting piece by piece; an arc lamp will replace the floor lamp, and the table lamp will be replaced too.

Our dilemma with the rug is that we have two cats who like to sharpen their claws on horizontal surfaces. Especially the boy cat, who loves to paw at an area rug in an upstairs room. Our girl kitty is pretty good about sticking to the scratching pad that is right next to the floor lamp. So we'd rather not spend thousands on a rug and watch in horror as his majesty shreds it to pieces, thank you. I thought about Flor tiles, figuring I could switch individual tiles out as he destroys them, but I'm not sure I care for them, aesthetically speaking. So we turn to you, dear Houzzers, for ideas we may not have considered.

Thank you! Pictures of our living room are attached.

Comments (42)

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    I/O rugs are generally a good buy - large and often reasonable. Hose them off when they get soiled and often they reverse, so keep one side up for the cats and turn it under when company comes over.
    Marci thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Marci
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you, karemore55! The Dash & Alberts were a little pricey, but the Ballard Designs i/o rugs were quite reasonable and there were helpful reviews.

We thank you and the kitties thank you...
  • User
    9 years ago
    Yes, the outdoor rug would be the solution in view of the felines. Color wise, perhaps something to pick up the tangerine color of your art. Lovely space.
    Marci thanked User
  • User
    9 years ago
    Of those Overstock samples posted by Bernhart, I like the chevron with the blue-gray to pick up the furniture and fireplace colors yet it's subtle. Second choice is the one on the far lower right with the narrow white stripes.
    Marci thanked User
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Don't forget homedecorators.com - always pleased with them.
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    my cat sharpens his claws on a in/out rug - it does not, however, do the kind of damage he inflicted on a plusher indoor rug. the one he never uses is called commercial carpet - it is for offices. it mostly comes unbound for wall to wall installation, but you can buy any number of feet and have it cut and bound.
    Marci thanked bgfuqua
  • Marci
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    First, thank you for all the great suggestions! I hadn't thought about an i/o rug, and I'm finding lots of great designs in a price range compatible with pets.

So, I have off today, and was able to go "shopping" for a rug.

I found scores of rugs. I searched mostly in the orange tones, but also found my eye being drawn to many blue-gray cooler tones. I mocked them up and ran them past my husband. We narrowed it down to five. I think #1 is too dark, #2 possibly too light. #3 is my favorite; it has the right colors, but I'm afraid that there may be too much going on. #4 is my husband's favorite, and he liked #5, too. You can definitely see a theme emerging.

I also liked the chevron design that Barnhart Gallery suggested, but my husband wants something less bold.

Here is an idea board with the current choices, but we are open to all suggestions.

Thanks so much!!
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    I like the one on the far right, and I think you could use a few more red accessories. Here are two lamps I like for you. I particularly like the metal base one, as you already have lots of black legs on things.
    Weegee Floor Lamp, Red Dupioni · More Info
    Woody Floor Lamp -Wood Black Base, Red Dupioni · More Info
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    9 years ago
    marci, your third is "the one."
    Marci thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    I don't mind the idea of using red in your rug, but imthink it might detract from your art. It also seems a bit matchy-matchy to me to do that.

I would prefer to stay neutral on the rug and bring in just a bit more red in small accents.
    Marci thanked karemore55
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Hi Marci, here are a few ideas you might consider.

Center the cabinet behind the sofa instead of having it pushed against the wall.

Move the white floor lamp to the corner behind the chair. It's too crowded by the FP.

Pull your coffee table in toward the sofa so you could put a drink on it.

Your place is looking really nice.
    Marci thanked leelee
  • Marci
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, everyone!

leelee-I moved the lamp, but it may be problematic because the only outlet on that side of the fp is in the coat closet! Not only that, but the original switch broke so we repaired it but now it turns on and off by plugging directly into the wall. So to turn it on and off we'll have to get on our hands and knees and root around to find the outlet in the back of a dark closet! I'll find a timer, but seriously, we're in the process of replacing all the lighting. I'm looking into a new floor lamp, table lamp, and a pendant for over the dining room table. I moved the coffee table back--it got moved when I swept up. I think it was moved after I took the picture, though.

As for the credenza, it's next to the wall because that's where the door is...I was standing in the open doorway when I took that picture.

Here are some more pictures of the living (and dining) room.

Given the comments and suggestions, I think we are down to #3 and #5. More back-and-forth with hubby!
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Marci, Your home is so cute! You have done a great job making it cozy and inviting!

I see what leelee is saying about the credenza being a bit unbalanced, and I see your reason for having it against the wall. I'm wondering if you could put a cube ottoman next to the credenza, which would not only balance the credenza but perhaps also be useful for putting on shoes and boots? Or, even for moving into the conversation area for extra seating?
    Marci thanked karemore55
  • armygirl1987
    9 years ago
    I am in love with #3 also.
    Marci thanked armygirl1987
  • Marci
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    karemore55-

Thank you so much for your kind words! The cube is a great idea--I'm sure my husband would love it, because he is always complaining about not having a place to sit to put on his shoes!
  • Eileen Vent
    9 years ago
    I am not sure if you can see our picture clearly but we have similar colouring in our Living room. I love the greys and orange. I have pets too and I chose a grey shag kind of rug. It works for a lot of reasons. Any clawing they do is not noticed and it looks casual yet suits the room.
  • PRO
    DSC DesignWorks
    9 years ago
    Do you have a vertical scratching post? I know there are products out there that cats hate that will prevent them from scratching up your furniture. I do love your style though!
  • Eileen Vent
    9 years ago
    I do not have a vertical post but I do a horizontal one. I do use a spray scent that I bought from pet store that deters a cat from going near your furniture. There are many kinds to choose from. I realized the pic I sent you did not show the rug. I think this is a better one.
    Marci thanked Eileen Vent
  • Eileen Vent
    9 years ago
    Use a grey neutral rug like this and it will go with any colour accessories you chose. You may decide to change from orange to a number of different colours, so grey is really your best best.
    Marci thanked Eileen Vent
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    About the door, are you saying that it wouldn't open if the credenza was moved to the middle of the sofa? I do like karemore's idea to use the ottoman to help balance.

Thanks for moving the light. Maybe you could get the switch fixed?
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Since the room is configured with the FP so far left maybe you don't even need a rug. Could there be something else missing?
  • Marci
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Our beasties are pretty good about not scratching the furniture. They have a scratching pad and a vertical post in the living room (I don't think it's visible in the photos; it's next to the closet, behind the chair). They rarely use the post in the living room. The boy cat likes an upstairs rug and the cat tree in our bedroom. The little princess uses the horizontal pads in the living room and the bedroom, and also the post. They have some other pads and another small kitty condo scattered through the house.

They tend to leave the furniture alone, but if you notice, there are towels on the couch cushions. There are buttons on the cushions, and they both think that they are the Most Interesting Things in the World.
  • Eileen Vent
    9 years ago
    Why don't you put the couch under the pictures on the longer wall. I get the sense it is a little tight to the wall?
  • Eileen Vent
    9 years ago
    If your fireplace is a focus it still could be even though you move your couch to the longer wall. You could either move your eating area in front of FP or create a two chair seating vignette like a reading area by the FP, but you don't need to squish everything done to that area in the room. Just a thought. Then your rug could be placed centred in front of your couch and become more front and centre. Just a thought.
  • Marci
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That wall is not long enough for the couch. Immediately to the left of the pictures is the entrance to the kitchen and immediately left of that is the stairwell.
  • Eileen Vent
    9 years ago
    oh I see
  • duffy2009
    9 years ago
    Rug #3 would be my choice. Your room is really nice, but I think a touch of color on the floor would not compete with your amazing art. Like your coffee table too.
    Marci thanked duffy2009
  • PRO
    J Malone Designs LLC
    9 years ago
    Pull some color in with the rug and some pillows!
    Marci thanked J Malone Designs LLC
  • Chem K
    9 years ago
    #5 (the far right)
    Marci thanked Chem K
  • User
    9 years ago
    My vote for rugs is #4 or #5. But, hey, doesn't matter what anyone thinks. Ultimately it's your room.
  • Imirab
    9 years ago
    Hi rainymorning... just wanted to thank you ( not sure where I am suppose to reply to you?) for talking me out of the shag seafoam green carpet for my den. My husband totally agrees with you and I do too. Thanks for pointing out these very important points. My search continues.....
  • sandkshouse
    9 years ago
    I think you should drive on over to Mr. Lebowski's house and help yourself to one of his rugs. Brandt will help you load it. Seriously, one of my favorite movies of all times.
    Marci thanked sandkshouse
  • User
    9 years ago
    Glad to offer input. Your room is coming together nicely and I've enjoyed taking a look and sharing my ideas.
    Marci thanked User
  • PRO
    Lowe's of Medford, NY
    9 years ago
    I have 3 cats, each with their own bad habit and am looking for an area rug now as well to tie a room together. My choice will be a cut pile (less opportunity for claws to destroy the pile, and probably it will come from a big box store because you can't beat the prices, that way it will be less painful if the rug is marred (hopefully over time). Based on your color scheme I would look for something that marries the grey, with creams, maybe beige , and some orange. That will pull everything together and add some texture and softness to the room.
  • Tara
    9 years ago
    Love the outdoor rug suggestion. I wanted to say we started putting soft paws on our cat and our carpets are very thankful :) if the cats start to drive you crazy that's always a good solution.
  • Marci
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    LOL sandkshouse. I guess another advantage of having an outdoor rug is it will stand up to White Russians and bodily fluids.

One of my favorites, too.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Plow and Hearth has some good looking indoor/outdoor rugs.
  • PRO
    RugPal
    9 years ago
    Just love this posts (especially since you mentioned The Dude)! Adding a rug to home with pets can be challenging, but certainly not impossible. We would certainly agree with the shag (or even flokati) rug suggestion as a remedy to the snagging issue. However, if you have kitties that tend to yarf hairballs, then the shag or flokati will be hard to clean. The indoor/outdoor rug will be but easier to clean.

We would recommend staying away from anything that is "hooked" and choosing something with a lower pile. A synthetic rug is most likely your best bet and indoor/outdoor rugs fall into that category. Indoor/outdoor rugs are very easy to clean and are fabricated to weather, well, the weather. These rugs could hold up to cat scratching and cat vomit and yet be so easy to clean. Keep in mind, however, that these rugs are not as soft to the touch as a natural fiber would be, but they will last a lot longer.

As for colors and style, with your neutral gray furniture, it seems to us that the sky is the limit. You can go bold or even just go for a subtle color pop. Either way, the dude would be proud. We love gray with lime green or chartreuse or gray with blues or purples. We're attaching some more colorful indoor/outdoor rug options that might do the trick in your adorable abode. Happy hunting!

PS - We are have a HUGE sale on our indoor/outdoor rugs right now, so this may be the perfect time to give one a try.
  • PRO
    RugPal
    9 years ago
    Here's a few others, just for variety.
  • PRO
    Galilee Lighting
    9 years ago
    some ideas for modern lighting.
    In Galilee lighting we carry lighting in unique styles, available in different size, length and colors.
    to receive our catalog by email, contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com
    We deliver worldwide.