Software
Houzz Logo Print
cbchriste

What would you do?

14 years ago
last modified: 14 years ago
The colors in this kitchen don't seem quite right. We plan on heightening the ceiling to match the vault in the adjacent dining room. The floor and countertops stay. What would you do with the cabinets (currently they are a stained oak)? Backsplash? Appliances (colors w new appliance package)? FYI, the room faces west.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Comments (8)

  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Here are some ideas: do not raise the ceiling! Many architects will tell you the kitchen is more cozy and more of a separate place when the ceiling is lower that surrounding rooms (dining room). I would not paint cabinets b/c they are harder to maintain if painted and the white paint everyone is slapping on today will soon be passe. I like all appliances the same color (black or white or stainless). The "in" thing is stainless, but it can show finger prints. You did not mention your style. You could add cabinet hardware, but I wouldn't bother. It's just one more distracting element, I like the plain, sleek look of your cabinetry. I would leave the back splash, it's beautiful & the colors enhance the floor. If you're determined to change, I like plain, back splashes, that go up the whole wall. Like this or similar in subway tile.
    Smith II Kitchen 1 · More Info
    The ceiling light could be taken out & "upgraded" to recessed lights, although if it was my kitchen, I wouldn't bother b/c the recessed lights do not throw as much light as the ceiling light you have and are more expensive to maintain. Recessed lights are "in", who knows what will come next and they will be "out"? With recessed lights you'll also need under counter lighting. A ceiling light with oak trim would look better. A bamboo blind / valence at window would tie in the cabinets & not interfere with hanging lamp.The one thing that glares at me is the white door. It's a nice door, but it almost looks like you have another refrigerator down there. Even if the appliances were not white, the door is overpowering the kitchen. I would paint the door and trim the same color as the wall. Hopefully this will help the door to recede. If not, paint that whole wall including the door and trim a darker shade taken from one of the back splash tiles.
  • 14 years ago
    Your kitchen is really nice! I think unifying the appliances with all one finish would do a lot to tie the room together. I would really try to do a counter depth fridge if you can. It just adds a bit of polish as well. I REALLY like the floors.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks! Some things I never would have considered! Maybe it's not as bad as I think then....
  • 14 years ago
    Your kitchen is fine - just swap out the white fridge for a black one, continue the tile up the walls and add some nice antiqued brass knobs.
  • 14 years ago
    Kitchen is good! If you agree that the back door is overwhelming the entire kitchen, do not add any decorative decor to that wall. You have herbs there now (or ?). The herbs are nice, but they draw attention to that area. Draw the eye to a place on the counter. How about 2 decorative plates and a plant grouping (they forgot the plant) in colors to enhance the tile.
    Traditional Kitchen · More Info

    IF you change refrigerators, be sure to buy a counter depth one, they look so much better not sticking out into the kitchen space.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Y'know, it's funny, because the first thing I thought of when looking at your space was a treatment in the first houzz photo that j222b sent you, except that's not why they sent you the photo. (Here it is again:
    Smith II Kitchen 1 · More Info
    )

    For me, I think that these two-step cabinets in offwhite with a wipe-off glaze of warm brown are exactly what your kitchen needs, and here's why. I see your cabinets as a very orange-toned wood, clashing with all of the other harmonious dove grey browns -- your floors, tile, and beautiful countertops. So when you say the colors don't seem quite right, I'm thinking it's that one element that doesn't "go." And before I even saw the link above, it's what I instantly wanted to do.

    If you do spend the money to raise the ceiling, you have the opportunity to add a decorative molding to the uppers, and that would be lovely. And if you choose to replace the backsplash, I'd go with a smoky grey/brown subway glass.

    Your chairs are nice, and I agree with suggestions for your back wall and appliances. Bon apetit!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    ...and looking for something else found this photo that would give you an idea of how your counters might look with white cabs/brown glaze:
    Traditional Kitchen · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Once again, thank you all!
    This kitchen isn't ours, but we just bought the house. Yes, the cabinets get more orange everytime I look at them. I think the pic has keys next to the door, not herbs (the sellers). But I like the ideas of bringing up the backsplash, and painting the door. I'll have to think about the keeping the doors plain or not. Would be easier, but the kitchen just seems to need more. I never want white cabinets again, but maybe I could compromise with the creme color suggested in the link. Anyways, thanks again, will try to remember to post a pic when we get done!