Software
Houzz Logo Print
statlerm1

Should I paint the other doors too?

12 years ago
So I painted our front door orange. We are putting in a door in on the left the side of the house leading into the garage (barely visible on the right side of photo). We also have a door on our back porch. Should I paint all of the doors around the house orange? We did put a garden shed to the right side of the house and I painted the doors on the shed orange. What is the proper door painting rules? Paint them all, paint only the front or anything goes?

Our house was just built and the homes in our neighborhood houses look similar. The first thing I wanted to do to set our home apart was paint the door. This summer we plan on landscaping and adding a larger front porch with larger steps etc........

Comments (38)

  • 12 years ago
    This is another picture.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    What a great idea to make your house different. There are no rules about this - it depends on the house and how things look (to me). Normally I prefer just the front door to be painted a different colour but in your house the front door isn't very large and still looks a little lost amidst all the windows. It's hard to comment without seeing the house with the garage - is it single or double? Maybe painting a single garage orange could work too. Definitely paint the side door orange. If you can post a photo of the front of the house including garage I could see if orange garage door is advisable. Best of luck from Montreal!
  • 12 years ago
    I like that the front door is the single orange element. Really makes it stand out! I say leave the other doors alone.
  • 12 years ago
    Love your house. Love the orange door with the house color. Re other doors...do whatever you want ;)
  • 12 years ago
    Rebecca, thanks for the comments. I have posted a few more pics. I just pulled out my front porch furniture today. I live in Vermont that is why my flower pots are empty.

    I thought about painting the garage door too, but I think it will be too much. I also thought about painting some of the detail on the garage door, but not the whole thing. I haven't decided yet. I am actually changing the front door to the style below and I am going to paint it orange. I hate the large window on the front door and I do not want to put a shade or curtain over it so I decided to change it (everyone has the same front door too). So the door on the front will move to the side of the house. It will be installed just to the right of the electrical box (see pic below). This gives you a better picture of our house. In the second picture you can see just the edge of the covered porch on the back. The other door I was going to paint is in that porch area.

    Looking at these pics, I can't wait to finish the front porch. We are adding 2 steps that will run the length of the existing porch and we will be adding a deck on the left. The left side of the house gets morning sun and is nice and cool in the afternoon. The right side gets sun most of the day. We have a lot left to be done. Any comments appreciated.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with Rebecca. I am the owner of John Hughes Custom Painting in Wilmington, DE. Your front door makes a statement with the color. Make all the other doors,white or neutral. Rebecca's point of possibly adding an orange address sign could work well with the door:)
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe even some terracotta flowerpots, or orange azaleas or broom bush would look nice
  • 12 years ago
    Just the front door. It says welcome to your guests; enter here.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    HI -- The front door should be it's own, but please also paint the frame around the window of the door so it's all one color . The garage door should be painted the color of the siding . Any other entrance doors could be the trim color . Or any other doors not visible to or with the front door can then be the same color as the front door . I love that color --- good choice !!
  • 12 years ago
    What color is the house itself and what color orange did you use?
  • 12 years ago
    onesharon- The house is a taupe and the door color is salsa dancing by Benjamin Moore.

    Lefty- after looking at the picture I can see that I should paint the frame around the window. thanks. Sometimes looking at it in a picture makes it easier to see those things.

    Rebecca - Thanks for the idea of the address plate. I think that is a great idea. I am going to see what I can come up with. A orange address plate above the garage will lead the eye across the house. I do have cushions on the chairs with orange stripes.

    When we add the larger front porch the stain has a orangish tint. Should add to it as well.

    Anyone have comments about the orange doors on the garden shed?

    What about the the windows on the upper level? What to do? window boxes?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Love the orange door on shed. Yes to window boxes on upper windows. Sounds like you're got your plan now!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    FYI: Due to a recent demand from Houzzers, starting in June 2014, Rebecca Mitchell Interiors will offer ONLINE INTERIOR DESIGN SERVICES to those who need it near and far.

    If you are renovating or redecorating and are overwhelmed by all the choices to make, we can demystify the process and help you make the right decisions with concrete information, advice and selection of furniture and materials online (right down to the kitchen sink). All by email too (but there's always time for a chat!).

    Email rm@rebeccamitchellinteriors.com for rates (agreed upon up front to match your needs and budget) and information.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    FYI: Due to a recent demand from Houzzers, starting in June 2014, Rebecca Mitchell Interiors will offer ONLINE INTERIOR DESIGN SERVICES to those who need it near and far.

    If you are renovating or redecorating and are overwhelmed by all the choices to make, we can demystify the process and help you make the right decisions with concrete information, advice and selection of furniture and materials online (right down to the kitchen sink). All by email too (but there's always time for a chat!).

    Email rm@rebeccamitchellinteriors.com for rates (agreed upon up front to match your needs and budget) and information.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Maybe it's just because I'm on a moulding kick, but have you thought about putting thicker moulding on the top level windows so that they will "pop" more? If the taupe is dark enough (not sure what actual color it is - some taupes are light and it's hard to tell in the photo), white moulding could look beautiful, and it's not too expensive to put on.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Sorry for the duplicate post ...
  • 12 years ago
    We have thought about adding more moulding. I am going to put that on the list too....
  • 12 years ago
    HI -- Yes, I forgot to mention before -- the shed is adorable with the orange doors . Maybe you could post a closer picture of it . I think the second floor windows are fine - they go with the main floor windows. If you add more frame around them it will look off balance to the main floor windows . One thing you could add is a round or octagon vent in white like your trim , even if it's just for looks . Or a house medallion or a little faux window or a real window if that is usable space up there .
  • 12 years ago
    Normally I like wider molding around windows/doors, but I think the minimalist detail suits this salt box/farmhouse style. I would suggest painting the garage dark brown. It will compliment your roof and blend in more, making the front door the main
    focus. Love the doors on the shed.

    main focus.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Somehow it seems like the windows feel low on the upper portion of the house, and I fear doing window boxes would add to that. What if you added a white band above the window line, and maybe a few white corbels along the roof line? Sort of like this:
    Greenlake Custom Home · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Love what you've done so far. Wider white window frames, a white vent up top, and a white porch rail would help balance the white garage door. It would make the color scheme be taupe with white trim and then the little pop of orange. Very nice.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    "Sheshore" (on another forum) is absolutely right about not soliciting for business on forums. I should have thought more before posting about my new online interior design services. I don't know where my head was. My sincere apologies to everyone and it won't again. Sincerely, Rebecca Mitchell
  • 12 years ago
    I love the front door! Very similar to mine. I will paint old house numbers the same color but other than that the orange will make a statement alone. In the back we are painting an old chandelier the same orange and taking out wiring. We will put Led battery votives and put it over the conversation area on back door. Do not overuse your statement color.
  • 12 years ago
    Orange door on back shed is a nice touch. Once you get the porch finished maybe the other questions can be better addressed.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you for all of the comments. Lefty, thank you for the suggestion of vent to "fake" window. I feel like that area needs something. That just may be the something I need.
  • 12 years ago
    nwduck - Thank you for the picture reference. I did not think of that. I will give it some thought!
  • 12 years ago
    Was trying to think of a simple, cost effective idea. If you ran a white band at the level and same width of the scuppers on each side, it seems like an easy design fix. Then 3 corbels in the triangular space left would dress it up enough. Love the orange doors!
  • 12 years ago
    100% agree with nwduck :) It would look fabulous.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would paint the shed door orange and leave the rest the color they are.

    Good luck:)
  • 12 years ago
    DO consider painting the garage doors either the same color of the house or one shade darker. They are screaming out! "I AM A GARAGE" "THIS IS A GARAGE HOUSE" Diminish those cries!

    Love the urging of using thicker trim. Why builder use such skinny stuff is beyond me, I guess it's just cheaper for them. Same for fascia boards, your house could use some, especially in the front.

    NW duck is absolutely correct - window boxes would weigh down the upper floor, it needs to be lifted. A white band across the front would help.

    I actually like the front door as is. Let in the light!

    How are you finishing the bottom front of the porch? Are you adding front steps?
  • 12 years ago
    Kmkane - So here is a little drawing of my plan for the front porch. A is the existing porch, we are going to bump that out 12 more inches. B will a long step across the length of the porch. That step will widen out into a deck. The more steps from ground onto that level. It will improve the front. I plan on having that finished by the end of the summer.

    Btw, thanks for the comments. After looking at the house I really don't have much space for window boxes. I think I will add that white strip above the windows too
  • 12 years ago
    Kmkane- The garage doors, I am not sure what I will do. I have to look at some picks on houzz of painted garage doors. I love this site!
  • 12 years ago
    Forgot the picture. Reposting....

    Kmkane - So here is a little drawing of my plan for the front porch. A is the existing porch, we are going to bump that out 12 more inches. B will a long step across the length of the porch. That step will widen out into a deck. The more steps from ground onto that level. It will improve the front. I plan on having that finished by the end of the summer.
    Btw, thanks for the comments. After looking at the house I really don't have much space for window boxes. I think I will add that white strip above the windows too.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Unless it is an amazing exceptionally designed door, the garage door should disappear as much as possible.
  • 12 years ago
    Paint the garage something like this? http://houzz.com/photos/334434

    I like it!!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    statlerm1, that will be a very nice porch! Re: garage doors, just paint same color as house or one shade darker. House isn't done yet, but here's mine. Note thick trim, large fascia, wide overhang, wide belly band. Only mess up was not bringing cedar shakes down lower. Sigh..... There's always something .....
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I recently saw an ivory-colored house with all the entry doors painted royal blue, and it looked fantastic. So, I would say, "Go with painting all the entry doors orange!" However, I would suggest you add orange in other, small elements of the color scheme. For instance, you could have terra cotta pots on the porch during the warm months and perhaps have terra cotta and white striped cushions on porch chairs or have a porch swing with alternating slats painted white and then orange. I believe your house would look wonderful with white-painted window boxes, and I would suggest a narrow strip of wood trim, about one to two inches high and extending the length of the window box, painted the same orange to tie the color scheme together. In addition, you might have orange-red geraniums and orange marigolds in the window boxes. I love the wreath with the red-orange bow shown on your door, and harmonizing wreaths on the upper and lower front windows would look great in the fall and winter months.