Software
Houzz Logo Print
dreambee

Exterior Color for Home

12 years ago
Hi, my home is nestled in a rural setting, a horse property with beautiful lilacs, peonies, roses, cherry blossoms and many more. During the winter there is a lot of snow. I made the inside of the house completely mine after moving in, and it feels wonderful. While I don't mind or actually like the neutral theme on the exterior of the house to blend in with it's surrounding I would like to also put my own stamp on the exterior. Any suggestions for colors would be much appreciated. The interior is a little rustic, sophisticated and cheerful muted jewel colors and muted pastels. THANK YOU!

Comments (15)

  • 12 years ago
    Some more images...
  • 12 years ago
    Have you thought about switching the current colors, so painting the house the current color of the garage and moulding?
  • 12 years ago
    These are color schemes that I really love but secretly think they may be way wrong to paint on the exterior of this 1950's farm house. I cant even picture it but in my dreams it would look like heaven :-)
  • 12 years ago
    Love those color ideas you have there. I can see your place in a smoky misty green. (outside) & Black shutters. Maybe?
    Nina Binder thanked bungalowmo
  • 12 years ago
    I would remove the wavy black metal from the deck and replace with wood;)
    Nina Binder thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Your color ideas are amazing. You have quite the artist's eye. I would agree that darker shutters would be a good idea, no matter which hue you choose. Good luck.
    Nina Binder thanked mcbmd3
  • 12 years ago
    I like onesharon's idea of that taupe/mocha from the garage for the siding (and the garage door) and a white or cream for the trim. As much as I am tired of the grey trend, grey siding with white trim will be beautiful with your pink and lilac blossoms. A soft sage green like valspar Green Tea Leaves would also look good with your plants and the blues in your patio decor. Valspar Perfect Storm would be a subtle but darker blue/teal for the shutters,but I could see choosing a more subtle contrast too. I would choose lighter shades for the stairs and railings. Taupe or grey porch paint for the stairs with some sandy texture for traction in snow then white or cream railings. While those greyed lilacs and Mauves in your photos are not usual exterior colors,you could use them in accent pieces and maybe a little lattice screen for the trash bin. Would love to see your gardens in full bloom.
    Nina Binder thanked kathleen MK
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you so much for the feedback, I am taking it all in, letting my imagination wander, allow me to share the photos from tonights sunset here on the deck, it felt so wonderful!!
  • 12 years ago
    And a Baby Magnolia Year I planted before the winter was finally in bloom today for the first time :-)
  • 12 years ago
    Here are a few more pictures of the feel of colors I really really like! I wonder where and how I could utilize them on the exterior if I will be so brave to do so, I do think it could be so so dreamy, pretty and romantic :-)

    Does anyone perhaps have photos of homes painted in mauve and grey washed pastels to look at??Dies Anime perhsps have photoshop of Hines Painter in Mauve and Fr
  • 12 years ago
    Oh oh,sorry my Houzz phone app covered the last few lines while I was typing and my autocorrect was set to another language :-(

    What I meant to write was: does anyone perhaps have images of houses painted in mauve and grey washed muted pastels?? I would love to see them!
  • 12 years ago
    I woke up this morning from a dream I had at night where my house already had all this colors and it felt lovely :-)
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Dreambee,
    If you are even dreaming about it, personally I'd just take the plunge and do it.

    If you are still not certain even after having dreamed it and "how lovely it felt" then go to one of the paint company sites like Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore etc., and test it out, just upload pictures of your house and virtually paint it, costs nothing and will help you decide where to put the mauve and where to put the gray : ) It's fun and you can try as many combinations and colors as you like.
    Penny
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would paint house gray...because of the decor on your deck I would be inclined to paint the trim and shutters white and the door a shade of blue...